Ryan Mountcastle 2018

hoosiers

You want walks?  Ryan has decided to go for a few strolls - at least recently - and at AA to boot.

After walking 17 times in 513 ABs in 2017, including only 3 times in 153 ABs at Bowie, RM has 11 BBs in 108 ABs already this year at Bowie - including 5 BBs in his last 32 ABs!  He has walked more in the last 10 games at Bowie than he did in 39 games there in 2017.

The better selectivity is also reflected in the K numbers.  RM struck out in 22.8% of his ABs in Bowie in 2017 and is down to 18.5% in 2018, but has only struck out 3 times in his last 10 games!  The June 2018 K rate in Bowe - small sample size - is 11%.

RM is hitting much better at home, but the numbers suggest a big move in the right direction for him regarding plate discipline after a little over 100 ABs in Bowie.  

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

So maybe Buck "throwing the kid under the bus" worked, even though Buck is ancient and completely unable to communicate with this generation.* :)

*That shade is not aimed at above posters. 

Or maybe the one has little to do with another.

Also maybe it won't last, Jones and Schoop both have shown periods of time when they are more patient.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or maybe the one has little to do with another.

Also maybe it won't last, Jones and Schoop both have shown periods of time when they are more patient.

That's right. Maybe it meant zero to Mountcastle. If it didn't matter, then Showalter "throwing him under the bus" didn't mean anything either. 

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Still a poor practice.

Not the approach I would advocate, but we do not know how many times Mountcastle was told the same thing by coaches in the Orioles system, their assessment of how he responded (or didn't respond), etc. We just have Buck's quote. "Throwing him under the bus" may have been a strategic effort to finally get his attention. We just don't know. It definitely has not hurt him so far and if the kid is too skin thinned to handle that kind of pubic criticism then he's going to have a very hard time regardless of what Buck Showalter says or does. 

8 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

20 K's to 11 walks so far. Nice to see him striking out less so far. 

It is, but his overall line is not overwhelming for a “bat first” player.   I know he’s young for a AA player, but I’m hoping for better numbers from him in the second half.   

9 minutes ago, justD said:

...Second is the Home Run, slo-mo swing to start it off.

I just love the sound of this one. 

That's MLB quality extension through baseball. I hope he can continue to improve his overall approach at the plate. 

Archived