Ryan Mountcastle 2018

hoosiers

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

That and they have McKenna at 27th even after his big season

That's not as big of a problem IMO, they don't do full updates in-season, the Chris Lee scouting report is like 2+ years old though, that's hard for me to forgive.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gosh I hope not.

No position and a ridiculously low walk rate.

He's going to have to hit just a ton.

Left field is a position. First base is a position. Why walk when you can just hit?

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Left field is a position. First base is a position. Why walk when you can just hit?

First base isn't an open position on the Orioles.

If AA pitchers can't walk him ML pitchers are going to pick him apart.  I'm not a fan of putting actual prospects at AAA but I think a season of facing moderately advanced junk out of the strike zone is something Mountcastle needs.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If AA pitchers can't walk him ML pitchers are going to pick him apart.  I'm not a fan of putting actual prospects at AAA but I think a season of facing moderately advanced junk out of the strike zone is something Mountcastle needs.

Whether first base is an open position or not means nothing regarding the prospect value. Mountcastle will never have a high walk rate. But he'll hit at any level. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Whether first base is an open position or not means nothing regarding the prospect value. Mountcastle will never have a high walk rate. But he'll hit at any level. 

Pretty hard to hit in the majors with that low a walk rate in the minors. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty hard to hit in the majors with that low a walk rate in the minors. 

K rate is much more predictive than BB rate in the minors. Last year's low walk rate was extreme, but he's walking 7% so far this year, which is well within the normal range for successful MLB hitters in AA.

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His walk rate is up considerably this year.    Still on the low side, but not crazy low.  

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

K rate is much more predictive than BB rate in the minors. Last year's low walk rate was extreme, but he's walking 7% so far this year, which is well within the normal range for successful MLB hitters in AA.

You beat me to this point.   Nothing that crazy low about 7%.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His walk rate is up considerably this year.    Still on the low side, but not crazy low.  

You beat me to this point.   Nothing that crazy low about 7%.

One walk in the last 10 games.  Do either of you think he's going to be at 7% at the end of the year?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

One walk in the last 10 games.  Do either of you think he's going to be at 7% at the end of the year?

He's at 7% BB and 17% K now, I'd guess by the end of the year it may be more like 5% and 14-15%, .200 ISO (more if he stays in AA).

57 minutes ago, weams said:

After how many players have tore up the minors, only to have a low average and other numbers in the majors, nothing is a guarantee.

I do agree with Corn though, I want to see him in Norfolk against better pitching and see what he can do. He just needs a position. 

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So in the last 10 games he’s hit .410 and you’re worried that he had only one walk?

In my experience a lot of players don’t walk a lot when they’re red hot at the plate.    

As to whether his walk rate will stay at 7%, I have no opinion.    We’ll see.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So in the last 10 games he’s hit .410 and you’re worried that he had only one walk?

In my experience a lot of players don’t walk a lot when they’re red hot at the plate.    

As to whether his walk rate will stay at 7%, I have no opinion.    We’ll see.

When guys hit 410 pitchers try and pitch around them.

He has a history of not walking.  He had a spurt of walks after being publicly dressed down by Buck.  Now he isn't walking again, yea I have to wonder if the spike was an illusion.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He has a history of not walking.  He had a spurt of walks after being publicly dressed down by Buck.  Now he isn't walking again, yea I have to wonder if the spike was an illusion.

I refer you to justD's video from last week. He had a great at bat where he spit on three pitchers pitches just as he was starting to really heat up. 

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He’s played 43 games.

1-10: 3 BB

11-20: 3 BB

21-30: 4 BB

31-40: 2 BB

41-43: 0 BB

I don’t really see a huge spike at the beginning.   Let’s keep an eye on this, obviously, but overall I’m pleased with his progress.   Last year he hit .222/.239/.366 after his promotion to AA; this year he’s hitting .303/.356/.484.    To me that’s very encouraging    

Archived