Ryan Mountcastle 2018

hoosiers

Mountcastle with four multi-hit games in a row to raise his line to 311/365/497/862.  That OPS would have him in the top 15 (Mullins is ahead of that pace as are top 10 prospects Vlad Guerrero Jr and Brendan Rodgers) in the Eastern League if he had the ABs to qualify - which he doesn't. 

RM is hitting .410 in the last 10 games, but has decided to skip the walking thing with only 1 BB in last 10.  I can't remember where he was xbh-wise recently, but I believe he has picked that up big time and now has 14 in 151 ABs - just behind the 1 xbh every 10 ABs that I look for.  

It will be interesting to see if RM can put things together and keep up the monster production but add the walks, but he has clearly found his stride and is currently pounding the ball.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He was moved to 3B to try and fill Machado's shoes. It was a need-based move, not a move based on his skillset. I've had that confirmed by someone who would know. They hoped that having more time to plant his feet would help him throw from 3B. 

Very unrealistic move.    Oh well, in another year they’ll have a need at 2B, where maybe it’s more realistic to think Mountcastle could be acceptable, though below average.  

I'm starting to see a lot of mixed-reports on Mountcastle's defense, which gives me at least a slimmer of hope that he can be serviceable at third. 

This reminds me of Chance Sisco in that a lot of the reports on his defense were pretty negative his first two or three years in the minors.  Those reports slowly became mixed and then it turned out he was pretty good on the defensive side when be came to Baltimore.  

38 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm starting to see a lot of mixed-reports on Mountcastle's defense, which gives me at least a slimmer of hope that he can be serviceable at third. 

This reminds me of Chance Sisco in that a lot of the reports on his defense were pretty negative his first two or three years in the minors.  Those reports slowly became mixed and then it turned out he was pretty good on the defensive side when be came to Baltimore.  

As someone who is fairly low on Mountcastle sticking at third (a chance but not likely IMO), it’s important to remember that while he may not stick at third, he’s not this positionless mess some appear to think he is.

He’s athletic, he played SS (albeit a poor SS) in Advanced A ball. Watch him play and run the bases and you’ll see he’s nothing like positionless bat first guys such as Willie Calhoun, he’ll be able to handle LF just fine if 3B doesn’t work and I’d like to see him at 2B, I think it’s unfortunate that he wasn’t moved there first.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I've said before, I think there's a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to defensive scouting reports. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

As someone who is fairly low on Mountcastle sticking at third (a chance but not likely IMO), it’s important to remember that while he may not stick at third, he’s not this positionless mess some appear to think he is.

He’s athletic, he played SS (albeit a poor SS) in Advanced A ball. Watch him play and run the bases and you’ll see he’s nothing like positionless bat first guys such as Willie Calhoun, he’ll be able to handle LF just fine if 3B doesn’t work and I’d like to see him at 2B, I think it’s unfortunate that he wasn’t moved there first.

I’ve said it before, if he didn’t have the arm strength at SS then 2B, not 3B would be a more natural transition. Similar angles off the bat and time to read the ball off the bat. Completely different at 3B. If he has decent hands and glove work 2B is a better option.

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’ve said it before, if he didn’t have the arm strength at SS then 2B, not 3B would be a more natural transition. Similar angles off the bat and time to read the ball off the bat. Completely different at 3B. If he has decent hands and glove work 2B is a better option.

But it is highly unlikely they trade Schoop or move him to third in 2019.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it is highly unlikely they trade Schoop or move him to third in 2019.

First of all, they should be trading Schoop.    Whether they do or not is another story.    

Second of all, I don’t think Mountcastle will be ready for the majors at the start of next year, especially if he’s switching positions again.    

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

That's what he's done. MLB.com has him as our number 1

I think he's got a good case for #1, but MLB pipeline having him at 1 means almost nothing. Why put any weight on the opinion of a list that has Chris Lee at #11?

Archived