Ryan Mountcastle 2018

hoosiers

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure of the belly-aching regarding RM's walks when he is in the middle of a minor league season and showing exactly the kind of progress many of us were hoping for. 

Last year, RM walked 14 times against 60 Ks in Frederick and then only had 3 BBs against 35 Ks in Bowie.  

This year, while only in Bowie, RM has 14 BBs against 30 Ks.  He has cut his K/BB rate from Frederick in half while advancing a level while hitting as a top 15 ops guy in the Eastern League.  

16 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Not sure of the belly-aching regarding RM's walks when he is in the middle of a minor league season and showing exactly the kind of progress many of us were hoping for. 

Last year, RM walked 14 times against 60 Ks in Frederick and then only had 3 BBs against 35 Ks in Bowie.  

This year, while only in Bowie, RM has 14 BBs against 30 Ks.  He has cut his K/BB rate from Frederick in half while advancing a level while hitting as a top 15 ops guy in the Eastern League.  

Unacceptable.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:56 AM, hoosiers said:

So it sounds like Buck shaming in public this spring was just what the doctor ordered?

22 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So it sounds like Buck shaming in public this spring was just what the doctor ordered?

Well, he certainly seems to have gotten his point across.    

My only beef with Mountcastle is that he’s hitting for considerably less power this year.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, he certainly seems to have gotten his point across.    

My only beef with Mountcastle is that he’s hitting for considerably less power this year.   

Maybe that's because of how he owned Harry Grove Stadium more than the City of Frederick did last year?

25 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Maybe that's because of how he owned Harry Grove Stadium more than the City of Frederick did last year?

It actually seems like he's hitting HR at the same rate, it's been a decline in doubles that has hurt his ISO. His good, not great power output is more due to him not getting the ball in the air enough than lack of raw power. The reason for this appears to be that he gets caught out on the front foot a bit, it looks like he needs to trust his bat speed a bit more. I wouldn't be surprised if that improves.

I'm guessing there is some connection between him significantly cutting down on K's and a decrease in overall power numbers. He's not swinging from his heels with 2 strikes as much and looking to put the ball in play. If he continues to refine his control of the strikezone, improves his walk-rate and forces pitchers to bring it into the zone with more frequency, I would expect power to go back up as he'll get more meatballs. 

2 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

I'm guessing there is some connection between him significantly cutting down on K's and a decrease in overall power numbers. He's not swinging from his heels with 2 strikes as much and looking to put the ball in play. If he continues to refine his control of the strikezone, improves his walk-rate and forces pitchers to bring it into the zone with more frequency, I would expect power to go back up as he'll get more meatballs. 

His K rate is practically identical to last year's.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

I don't think public shaming is appropriate.  I don't understand the circumstances that BS felt it necessary to call out or shame Mountcastle when private advice failed or wasn't accepted appropriately.  Either way, RM is putting up quality stats at AA while making the requested changed in approach after a slow start due to injury.  I think at some point RM is going to put it together and produce a monster month soon.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It actually seems like he's hitting HR at the same rate, it's been a decline in doubles that has hurt his ISO. His good, not great power output is more due to him not getting the ball in the air enough than lack of raw power. The reason for this appears to be that he gets caught out on the front foot a bit, it looks like he needs to trust his bat speed a bit more. I wouldn't be surprised if that improves.

I saw somewhere a comment that hand injuries usually result in a temporary loss of power.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

How the hell are you not an actual scout for an MLB team? 

Archived