Nightingale: Dodgers in lead for Manny

Rene88

54 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm pretty much numb to the current level of suckitude going on, but there are three things that could take the suffering to the next level. In no particular order...

- Not selling this year at the trade deadline

- Buck being promoted to GM

- Tillman pitching another MLB inning for the Orioles 

I'm almost certain one of these things is going to happen this year. I think with the way this season is going that Tillman will get one more shot. The front office will look at as though there is nothing to lose, and Peter will get the satisfaction of having gotten his "money's worth".

If the team doesn't sell soon, or by the deadline, I don't know how I would take that. It might shake my loyalty to the club a little...

I think it's time to move on from Buck, but I'm indifferent to hm staying as GM. I imagine it would be some kind of duo with Brady.

Honestly I'm getting pretty apathetic towards the organization. They fail to do the right thing so often, it's hard to support what has been a mostly inept franchise for the majority of my life.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I'm almost certain one of these things is going to happen this year. I think with the way this season is going that Tillman will get one more shot. The front office will look at as though there is nothing to lose, and Peter will get the satisfaction of having gotten his "money's worth".

If the team doesn't sell soon, or by the deadline, I don't know how I would take that. It might shake my loyalty to the club a little...

I think it's time to move on from Buck, but I'm indifferent to hm staying as GM. I imagine it would be some kind of duo with Brady.

Honestly I'm getting pretty apathetic towards the organization. They fail to do the right thing so often, it's hard to support what has been a mostly inept franchise for the majority of my life.

I think if Buck and Brady are our "GM duo" after this season, I may just stay away from following any news about this team.

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I think if Buck and Brady are our "GM duo" after this season, I may just stay away from following any news about this team.

I agree. I only say I'm indifferent because I have already accepted that is what is going to happen. I don't condone the idea at all.

3 hours ago, Hotdiggity said:

You are correct that it’s not “entirely” on Buehler, but the 8 inherited and charged runs by Goeddel and others doesn’t make it much better. Combine that with Tuesday night’s faltering and other slips by the shaky, and it’s a bad hole. The Dodgers have hit a ballclub record 53 home runs this month (with 3 more games to play). 53 home runs hides a faltering pen very well. Machado is an all-world talent, but in October, wins and losses hinge on players that have been more reliable than anybody in the O’s pen this year. JMO

After coming so close last year, I think the Dodgers begrudgingly part with some of their excellent depth to really make a run this year. Especially, with Kershaw a question mark for next year.

I'd imagine the Dodgers really want to reset their luxury tax rate - so the O's will likely have to cover money owed to Machado to make it work. But, that should also result in more prospects coming back to the O's.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

After coming so close last year, I think the Dodgers begrudgingly part with some of their excellent depth to really make a run this year. Especially, with Kershaw a question mark for next year.

I'd imagine the Dodgers really want to reset their luxury tax rate - so the O's will likely have to cover money owed to Machado to make it work. But, that should also result in more prospects coming back to the O's.

There's certainly motivation, but not a great track record of aggressive deadline deals by the current LA front office. I do think the Dodgers match up well in terms of prospects, however, so I'm hopeful.

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

There's certainly motivation, but not a great track record of aggressive deadline deals by the current LA front office. I do think the Dodgers match up well in terms of prospects, however, so I'm hopeful.

Great point. The Dodgers and the Astros front offices are both smart in not dealing away young talent for expensive rentals - such as how the Tigers operated for a while.

But, I think the Dodgers front office is aware that arbitration numbers, impending free agency, and star players exiting their primes with increasing age are all factors in creating a competitive window for a Championship for any team, regardless of financial resources.

I thought it would be worth linking this thread with an article from the Dodger perspective from one of the more respected Dodger writers, Dustin Nozler.  It's generally aligns with what I've written on this thread.  Dustin's just able to communicate it much better.:

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/6/29/17510542/dodgers-manny-machado-rumors-trade-deadline-offense-do-they-need-him

1 hour ago, Hotdiggity said:

I thought it would be worth linking this thread with an article from the Dodger perspective from one of the more respected Dodger writers, Dustin Nozler.  It's generally aligns with what I've written on this thread.  Dustin's just able to communicate it much better.:

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/6/29/17510542/dodgers-manny-machado-rumors-trade-deadline-offense-do-they-need-him

This article is pretty much unreadable.  And the Dodger third baseman is basically replacement level.   I guess if the Dodgers want to miss the playoffs they don't need an upgrade. 

48 minutes ago, atomic said:

This article is pretty much unreadable.  And the Dodger third baseman is basically replacement level.   I guess if the Dodgers want to miss the playoffs they don't need an upgrade. 

Ha, Justin Turner is “basically replacement level”? Dude got his wrist broken on a pitch a week before spring training and was out for 8 weeks. Those things take a while to heal, just ask Freddie Freeman. Turner’s been a 5-Win player for 3 years. Keep trying for that Chapman++ deal though. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783535-dodgers-must-pay-whatever-it-takes-for-manny-machado-trade-splash?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

The downside? Machado is an impending free agent who will surely test the free-agent waters rather than sign an extension with any team that trades for him. He'd be a rental. A high-performance rental, but a rental nonetheless.

The Dodgers and Phils aren't the only clubs that may come calling. Heyman name-dropped the Arizona Diamondbacks and Chicago Cubs. Don't count out the St. Louis Cardinals, Boston Red Sox or any number of other dark-horse suitors. 

Translation: Machado's price tag will be steep. Los Angeles should be prepared to pony up.

The Dodgers, SoCal fans don't need to be reminded, haven't hoisted a Commissioner's Trophy since 1988. They came agonizingly close in 2017marching to Game 7 of the Fall Classicbut baseball is neither horseshoes nor hand grenades. 

3 hours ago, weams said:

Saw and article in Camdenchat that said the sources about narrowing down to Phillies, Diamondbacks, and led by Dodgers are coming from inside the warehouse. Seems to indicate things are legitimately getting close. 

Personally I don’t know how the Dbacks stack up. Unless they are willing to throw in an extra player it to because they can’t match the quality.

i think you can get a nice 3-4 player deal from either.

Keep hearing Verdrugo being named which would be a good get. I just think they could do better overall by avoiding him.

12 hours ago, Hotdiggity said:

Ha, Justin Turner is “basically replacement level”? Dude got his wrist broken on a pitch a week before spring training and was out for 8 weeks. Those things take a while to heal, just ask Freddie Freeman. Turner’s been a 5-Win player for 3 years. Keep trying for that Chapman++ deal though. 

I guess Orioles and Dodgers will be in the same place then.   Out of the playoffs.   Maybe the Dodgers being under the luxury tax will comfort you when Arizona is in the playoffs and the Dodgers are watching them on TV.  

Then you can go on the Arizona board and brag about how although they got Manny and are going to the World Series the Dodgers saved money. 

Archived