Could the Orioles Move Out of Baltimore in 2024?

oriolesfan97

As much as us "old guys" love baseball, the truth is it's just not "fun" for the younger generation.  Its too slow, long, and boring for the fast paced society we now live in.  Attendance is way down across the league, and thus filling more stadiums with fans is not a good business risk.  I dont see the Orioles going anywhere as long as we have Camden Yards, BUT, if they do, look in the mirror because all through this decade when the Orioles had the best record in the American League, the stands in OPACY have remained fairly empty.  If the Orioles ever leave this beautiful stadium, we have no one to blame but ourselves.  

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

As much as us "old guys" love baseball, the truth is it's just not "fun" for the younger generation.  Its too slow, long, and boring for the fast paced society we now live in.  Attendance is way down across the league, and thus filling more stadiums with fans is not a good business risk.  I dont see the Orioles going anywhere as long as we have Camden Yards, BUT, if they do, look in the mirror because all through this decade when the Orioles had the best record in the American League, the stands in OPACY have remained fairly empty.  If the Orioles ever leave this beautiful stadium, we have no one to blame but ourselves.  

14 years of idiocy at the top of the org and crappy teams will do that to an franchise.

I still do not see this team moving, anywhere, period.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Agree. But I do see a lot of kids passionate about playing baseball. O’s attendance while we were really good was embarrassing, and I don’t blame the owners for not spending money if fans won’t support the team. 

Edited by Rick_Schu
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rick_Schu said:

Agree. But I do see a lot of kids passionate about playing baseball. O’s attendance while we were really good was embarrassing, and I don’t blame the owners for not spending money if fans won’t support the team. 

Putting people in the seats does not pay the bills. Cable-TV does that.

I dont call 2 to 2.5 million in the good years, embarrassing.

MLB average attendance has been dropping over the years. Baseball is losing its popularity as the number 1 sport of American.

Overall, league attendance is down 6.5% compared to this point last season. As of Saturday, June 16, the league was averaging 27,483 per game compared to 29,402 at the same point last season. All told, total attendance is down 1,860,576 or -1,918 per game.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, spiritof66 said:

That number -- 9,141 -- is the number of tickets that were sold, not the number of fans who showed up. The actual turnstile counts remain another of MLB's secrets.

15 mins before the game, Dempsey and Tom "Are you going to eat that? Davis were doing pregame. From their vantage point, behind them, there was no one in either the outfield bleachers or down the 1B line stands.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

15 mins before the game, Dempsey and Tom "Are you going to eat that? Davis were doing pregame. From their vantage point, behind them, there was no one in either the outfield bleachers or down the 1B line stands.

When I was watching, I didn't see many shots panning the "crowd." My guess would be 5,000 in the stands, but there may have been more under cover somewhere.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, Rick_Schu said:

Orioles were 14th in attendance in 2014.  Even this year there are 7 teams with worse attendance.  I am not sure where you are getting embarrassing from.  Unless you are talking about team attendance in the late 60's early 70's.

Oakland (a team in the playoff hunt) has played 8 more hone games and have only drawn 40k more fans than the Orioles. The Indians have led the division all year and are 21st in attendance.  Miami will barely each 1m fans. Those are all worse than the Orioles and their worst record in baseball attendance imo.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Oakland (a team in the playoff hunt) has played 8 more hone games and have only drawn 40k more fans than the Orioles. The Indians have led the division all year and are 21st in attendance.  Miami will barely each 1m fans. Those are all worse than the Orioles and their worst record in baseball attendance imo.

Oakland is moving.

4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Oakland (a team in the playoff hunt) has played 8 more hone games, and have only drawn 40K more fans than the Orioles. The Indians have led their division all year, and are 21st in attendance. Miami will barely each 1 Million fans. Those are all worse than the Orioles and their worst record in baseball attendance, IMO.

23 minutes ago, weams said:

Oakland is moving.

o

Oakland has been moving since the late 1970's, when the late Charlie O. Finley owned the team and they drew 653 fans to a game in April.

They're Just Mad About Charlie

(By Ron Fimrite)

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/05/21/823638/theyre-just-mad-about-charlie-as-few-as-653-fans-have-seen-the-as-play-but-its-owner-finley-whos-being-sued-for-nonsupport

o