Jerry Crasnick ESPN Article on the Orioles

Deadwood Fan

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Yes it could. Didn't Angelos keep the team from moving from Baltimore? He is a horrible owner but keeping the team in Baltimore is a blessing. I just hope his sons are better at Ownership. 

Is it though? The city is just getting worse and worse, and many, many people I know refuse to go to the stadium anymore, even if just outside the stadium isn't bad, due to the very negative connotations of Baltimore.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Yes it could. Didn't Angelos keep the team from moving from Baltimore? He is a horrible owner but keeping the team in Baltimore is a blessing. I just hope his sons are better at Ownership. 

Angelos had nothing to do that.  The Orioles signed a 30 year lease to play in Camden Yards starting in 1992.  Angelos bought the team in 1993.  

1 hour ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I literally face-palmed at the mere suggestion of Dempsey, Bordick, or Billy Ripken as managerial candidates.  Even if their names were just thrown out or people are "spit balling" them as candidates, the idea of any of them in the dugout is at its best uninspiring to say the least, and at its worst, I'm struggling to find the word.  Mostly this applies to Dempsey who I have an unabashed disdain for.  I'd take Bordick on the staff if all parties involved wanted him there because the man knows defense and they can't possibly do worse.

My thoughts on Billy Ripken as a potential managerial candidate are best represented in his 1989 Fleer baseball card. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get how Billy Ripken fits in at all.  

Have you heard him on interviews on 105.7, as he covers baseball for MLB?

The man is very educated in the game of baseball and while that doesn't mean squat to his ability to manage a team, he would have the Oriole way in his blood.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Have you heard him on interviews on 105.7, as he covers baseball for MLB?

The man is very educated in the game of baseball and while that doesn't mean squat to his ability to manage a team, he would have the Oriole way in his blood.

Worked well in '88.

I think he is way too much a pal to current players.

23 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Is it though? The city is just getting worse and worse, and many, many people I know refuse to go to the stadium anymore, even if just outside the stadium isn't bad, due to the very negative connotations of Baltimore.

Horse Hockey, people crying about the city being unsafe and not going to the park.

IF the team was winning, more people would be coming to the games.

The stadium is safe.

BTW, its society that is getting worse, all over the 50 states.

St. Louis is reportedly a very dangerous city.  Yet Cardinals fans flock to that stadium.  It is all about the product on the field, and theirs is consistently good...with two recent titles to boot.

I went to St. Louis in March and spent 3 days and nights downtown.  Never once felt unsafe.

4 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

St. Louis is reportedly a very dangerous city.  Yet Cardinals fans flock to that stadium.  It is all about the product on the field, and theirs is consistently good...with two recent titles to boot.

I went to St. Louis in March and spent 3 days and nights downtown.  Never once felt unsafe.

Dodgers and Giant stadiums arent very safe, people have been killed in the parking lot.

This video clip is saying attendance is down all over the MLB

13 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

As with any city, all depends on what part of the city you’re in. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Billy Ripken might not be a bad choice.  Dempsey and Bordick?  Hard pass.

I would pay $ to have Bill Ripken as announcer instead of Hunter and Bordick. B Ripken is sharp. And loved watching his D back in the day!

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I would pay $ to have Bill Ripken as announcer instead of Hunter and Bordick. B Ripken is sharp. And loved watching his D back in the day!

I'm guessing that Bill Ripken would not be as Orioles' politically correct as he would need to be.  I'm guessing he'd probably call players out more so than a Bordick.   Palmer has built up some history, but I doubt they'd let a new guy come in and be openly critical.  

I dunno...maybe I'm wrong.   Bill strikes me as a straight-shooter.  Nothing wrong with that, but it could ruffle some Oriole feathers.

10 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm guessing that Bill Ripken would not be as Orioles' politically correct as he would need to be.  I'm guessing he'd probably call players out more so than a Bordick.   Palmer has built up some history, but I doubt they'd let a new guy come in and be openly critical.  

I dunno...maybe I'm wrong.   Bill strikes me as a straight-shooter.  Nothing wrong with that, but it could ruffle some Oriole feathers.

That’s why I like him! Love listening to him on mlb network.

Archived