Who’s your 2018 back-up team?

Frobby

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Well, as I've said before, it's the Nats, because lonnng ago I was originally a Senators fan.  Well, they screwed the pooch of a winnable division.  Undoubtedly, the resultant puppies will all resemble Bryce .213 BA Harper.  ?

Of the teams remaining with a real shot at the playoffs, I'll go with the Mariners, who have never reached the World Series.   That would leave only the Brewers, Pirates, and Nats/Expos who've waited longer to get back to the Series than the Orioles.

I am hoping for the Stros to be in the WS again. I do like the Pirates too. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

With the O’s hopelessly out of it, do you have a back-up team to root for the rest of the way?    Not necessarily a team you’re passionate about, but just a “best of the rest” team?

For me, it’s undoubtedly Nick Markakis’ Atlanta Braves.    I’d love to see Nick back in the postseason and would be thrilled to see him get a WS ring.    And the rest of that team is fun to watch.    

It's the Braves.  When I was a kid their AAA affiliate was in Richmond, VA.  And of course TBS in the day...

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

You know, I’ve tried and tried to develop a strong secondary rooting interest in the Nats.   I’ve lived in the DC suburbs almost my entire life, I work in DC, and many of my friends are Nats fans and always want to talk Nats baseball with me.   I follow how they’re doing, I know their players, but I just haven’t gotten to the point where I really care how they do.    If they won, I’d be happy that a lot of people I know are happy.    But I just can’t get enthusiastic about it.

The Braves and Nats are in the same division, and as I said, I find myself rooting for the Braves to win.  But it’s purely a Nick thing.    He was my favorite Orioles player of the last 15 years or so, not because he was the best, but I just liked the way the guy carried himself and conducted his business.    He went through a lot of bad seasons here before getting to play with a winner in 2012-14, and same with his time with the Braves, and I’d just like to see him get the payoff for being a pro’s pro for 13 seasons.   But the minute he leaves the Braves, my interest in them will evaporate.

That's the way I am about the Rangers. I just can't get behind them. 

9 hours ago, atomic said:

I was watching the Capitals win the cup.  Then since the World Cup has started have been watching for that.  Rooting for the French team.  Don't care for another baseball team.  Baseball really isn't exciting enough to watch some random team play.  

Oh I like baseball. It's my favorite sport. Then NASCAR. Football is okay. But other sports I just can't get into.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Ha, Bob, this is exactly my take on the Braves! Always have liked Nick and hope he gets a ring, but I have no interest in them beyond that. 

I pull for the Texas teams because I now live here, but especially Houston because of the plan they not only talked about, but executed. I have a connection with some people there because of my time volunteering after Harvey and the players are a fun loving bunch of guys.

I have heard that the Express parent club is going back to the Stros instead of the Rangers. That would thrill me no end. Now I heard that a few years back. I sure hope so. 

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

It's the Braves.  When I was a kid their AAA affiliate was in Richmond, VA.  And of course TBS in the day...

Yes, I was in medical school in Richmond when the AAA Braves had Bob Horner and Dale Murphy coming through...and living in swVA, the Turner TBS genius of an idea created an entire generation of Braves fans here in the Appalachian parts of VA, TN, NC, as well as SC and GA, obviously...some are Reds fans but way more are Braves fans.  

Archived