Nick's an All Star

25 Nuggets

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m as big a Nick fan as there is, and I hope he does it.    But things get tougher as a player ages.    Vada Pinson had 2,574 hits through age 34, but he was done after two more seasons.    Johnny Damon had 2,270 hits by age 34, but had only another 499 left in him.   Frank Robinson had 2,427 hits by age 34, but fell 57 short of 3000.   Roberto Alomar had 2,546 hits by age 34, but had fewer than 200 hits the rest of his career.   I could go on, but you get my point.   

Frankly, before this year I though Nick might have a hard time landing a starting OF job after the 2018, because of his lack of power.   He’s having arguably the best season of his career at age 34, which is pretty unusual.    I’m super happy for him, but I still think he’ll have a hard time remaining a starting player for another 5 years after this one.  I certainly hope that happens.   

I think the shortage of everyday COF in MLB, will keep Cakes playing.

As many cases of guys, whose' skills/health deminished their ability to play, there are guys like Cal Jr, at age 37 got 161 hits.

Susuki is another guy, that just keeps hitting.

Beltran at age 39, had 163 hits.

Rose had 171 hits at age 41.

I think it would help Nick to come back to the AL, for the DH, and that can help his career longevity.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this more of a MLB gripe, but did anyone else note how egregious some of the omissions were, in particular for the AL? 

Snell should have made it over Berrios

Rosario should have made it over Springer

Segura should have made it over Torres

Benintendi should have made it over Brantley. 

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Even this year, likely to be his best since 2008, if he was still in the AL he isn't an All-Star. OF is pretty weak in the NL this season.

I'm not so sure. Brantley made the team with very similar stats. Granted, Rosario and Benintendi were more deserving. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not so sure. Brantley made the team with very similar stats. Granted, Rosario and Benintendi were more deserving. 

Cleveland gets a lot of love on the fan voting at the moment for obvious reasons. I don't think he would have that kind of fanfare if he were still playing in Baltimore. Also, by fWAR he is tied for third among OF in the NL with Brandon Nimmo. In the AL, he would be tied with Stanton for 10th.

9 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Yup, more egg on the faces of this front office.

Post number 8 before this comment.  I had the over/under at 2.5.

Even at 3 years, the Orioles' offer was questionable.  Not to mention surprising given the team's historical reluctance to sign a player with health concerns coupled with a few pedestrian and overpaid seasons right before his contract ran out.  It didn't work out for the Orioles, but it did for Nick.  Good for him and I think I speak for a lot of people in wishing him all the best both in the AS game and the post season.

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Cleveland gets a lot of love on the fan voting at the moment for obvious reasons. I don't think he would have that kind of fanfare if he were still playing in Baltimore. Also, by fWAR he is tied for third among OF in the NL with Brandon Nimmo. In the AL, he would be tied with Stanton for 10th.

The average all-star voter/fan has no idea what fWAR is. 

33 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The average all-star voter/fan has no idea what fWAR is. 

Of course, but if he were in the AL playing for the Orioles, he would need to be having an exceptional year compared to his peers to garner the vote. I'm merely using WAR to show that wouldn't be the case.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Benintendi is benefitting tremendously from playing in Fenway.    He has a .995 OPS at home, .805 on the road.   (However, I note that last year he hit better on the road.)

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

As many cases of guys, whose' skills/health deminished their ability to play, there are guys like Cal Jr, at age 37 got 161 hits.

I think it would help Nick to come back to the AL, for the DH, and that can help his career longevity.

Obviously, you can find guys who piled up a lot of hits after age 34.   It’s just harder.    Rose, Suzuki, Molitor, Yastrzemski, and Vizquel all had more than 1000 hits from their age 35 season onward.    But for every guy like that you have dozens of guys who were good players at 34 but were done a couple of years later.  

3 minutes ago, nate22 said:

Can you imagine if we traded Machado prior to the Allstar game (the only benefit of not trading him by now)? Our obligatory Allstar selection would be absolutely embarrassing. 

Really?

Entire season is an absolute embarrassment!!!!!!!!!

Who cares about the ASG, of course, this is just IMO.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He doesn't hit enough HRs to cut it as a DH.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Really?

Entire season is an absolute embarrassment!!!!!!!!!

Who cares about the ASG, of course, this is just IMO.

I agree completely. I'm just saying since this conversation is about the game. It would be a farce to have any Oriole not named Machado in that game. 

Archived