Nick's an All Star

25 Nuggets

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s not really a point in relitigating Nick’s departure.    Let’s just be happy for him that he made the all-star game and unquestionably deserves it based on his play this year.   He’s a class act and a pro’s pro, and I’ll probably watch the all-star game for the first time in several years so I can see him play in it.

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If he can find a starting job for the next 5 seasons, I wonder if he could get 3000 hits.  Need to average around 160 hits a year for the next 5 season is my guess.

That should be doable for him, if he plays healthy for the next 5.

20 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I disagreed at the time BEFORE we saw the aftermath and I disagree now.  If the plan had been after our best season in 30 years  “we are going to create a hole in right field after winning the division and then we are going to upgrade this roster by doing X”, then I might agree it made sense.  But they did not.  They created a hole and never had any rational plan about what to do next, because Dan was in bed with Toronto and the old man was on the warpath.

You call 3 seasons of playing every day on a rebuild team “serviceable”..I call it  remarkably important to where the young Braves are now.  Baseball does not value character, leadership, morale, camaraderie or nonmeasurable things like that, but Nick was arguably the most popular Oriole, a warrior, coming out of our best season in 30 years and the Os management nitpicks  some irrelevant health issue to save two cents that did not go at all into upgrading the team.

People justify it now because that is what some of us as fan GMs wanted to do then, but some of us knew that there was no way the real owner and real GM were going to upgrade the team in right field...and they haven’t. 

0.1-1.9 WAR -- serviceable.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s not that easy at ages 35-39.

Except for 1 season, he is has been in the 150-160 range his own career.  No reason to see that stopping.

The dude can scrape out the hits, he just has to stay healthy enough to play, and so far he has.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

One of  the few players that is still playing that makes his home full time in Baltimore. Not sure if any Orioles still do.I think Hader also still lives in the area.He is also in the All Star game.

Yup

In an interview last year with the Baltimore Sun, he said he and his family still lived full time in Monkton, MD, and planned to build a new house in the community in the near future.

“That's where we're going to be,” Markakis told the Sun. “That's where my kids were born. It's where they've got their friends. We love the area. We love the community, so that's where we're going to call home.”

Great news for a guy that didn't get such recognition when playing in the AL East. It worked out for him, wise decision. I doubt that if he was with the O's this year his numbers would be as good as they are with the Braves. I wonder if not playing in the AL (AL East) proved positive for him, not playing 25% of his games against the Yanks and Boston.

13 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Just to put in on record... Nick Markakis finally made his first All Star team, as a starter no less.

Congrats Kakes!  Well done on a great comeback season.

This is his first? I didn't realize that. 

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

In an interview last year with the Baltimore Sun, he said he and his family still lived full time in Monkton, MD, and planned to build a new house in the community in the near future.

“That's where we're going to be,” Markakis told the Sun. “That's where my kids were born. It's where they've got their friends. We love the area. We love the community, so that's where we're going to call home.”

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Saw yesterday in the Sun that he is happy that his first All Star Game is close to home and can bring the whole family. Also Josh Hader who went to Olde Mill High School in Millersville said he can also bring family because it it so close to home.

I wonder if the Orioles would have kept Hader as a starter and worried about his TTTP.  At first they did not want to trade him because he was a local boy.

The Brewers had tried to pry Hader away from Baltimore in July 2013 in trade talks for closer Francisco Rodriguez but the Orioles wouldn’t do it, so Melvin took minor-league third baseman Nicky Delmonico instead.

Delmonico was released before the 2015 season while on suspension for violating the minor-league drug program, and now plays for the White Sox.

“(Hader) was a local guy from Maryland (drafted in 2012 in the 19th round) and they said they didn’t want to trade him,” Melvin said. “They ended up trading him to Houston for (pitcher) Bud Norris (eight days later).”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2018/04/20/haudricourt-because-there-crying-baseball-brewers-have-josh-hader-bullpen-force/526901002/

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Except for 1 season, he is has been in the 150-160 range his own career.  No reason to see that stopping.

The dude can scrape out the hits, he just has to stay healthy enough to play, and so far he has.

I’m as big a Nick fan as there is, and I hope he does it.    But things get tougher as a player ages.    Vada Pinson had 2,574 hits through age 34, but he was done after two more seasons.    Johnny Damon had 2,270 hits by age 34, but had only another 499 left in him.   Frank Robinson had 2,427 hits by age 34, but fell 57 short of 3000.   Roberto Alomar had 2,546 hits by age 34, but had fewer than 200 hits the rest of his career.   I could go on, but you get my point.   

Frankly, before this year I though Nick might have a hard time landing a starting OF job after the 2018, because of his lack of power.   He’s having arguably the best season of his career at age 34, which is pretty unusual.    I’m super happy for him, but I still think he’ll have a hard time remaining a starting player for another 5 years after this one.  I certainly hope that happens.   

Archived