Nick's an All Star

25 Nuggets

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nick has 10 HRs, and the Orioles DH has 13.

So I think its far to say, thats not really a point.

People aren’t going to look just at 2018 when they consider Nick.    

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So what you're saying is that he could DH for the worst team in baseball? 

No, not saying that.

Best HR by DH is 22, and worse is 4, so Nick would be right in the middle.

RK PLAYER TEAM AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS WAR
1 Nelson Cruz SEA 277 39 74 10 1 22 53 1 0 31 61 .267 .361 .549 .909 2.0
2 Edwin Encarnacion CLE 298 45 69 11 0 20 62 0 0 33 79 .232 .311 .470 .780 0.6
3 Matt Davidson CHW 243 32 55 14 0 14 38 0 0 39 102 .226 .340 .457 .797 1.3
4 Mark Trumbo BAL 204 25 53 10 0 11 26 0 0 17 55 .260 .323 .471 .793 0.5
5 Kendrys Morales TOR 222 22 54 11 0 10 28 2 1 21 57 .243 .305 .428 .733 0.1
6 Shohei Ohtani LAA 131 21 36 9 1 7 21 2 0 16 41 .275 .354 .519 .873 0.9
7 Hanley Ramirez BOS 177 25 45 7 0 6 29 4 1 14 35 .254 .313 .395 .708 0.1
8 Victor Martinez DET 280 16 68 10 0 4 27 0 0 22 32 .243 .297 .321 .619 -1.2

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

That should be doable for him, if he plays healthy for the next 5.

When is he a free agent?  O's could bring him back as some entertainment as we rebuild if the price ain't bad.  Love to see him get 3000 in an O's uniform.  Kinda how Eddie got his 500th.

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

When is he a free agent?  O's could bring him back as some entertainment as we rebuild if the price ain't bad.  Love to see him get 3000 in an O's uniform.  Kinda how Eddie got his 500th.

I dont think they will, think there is going to be a big push for the "kids".

8 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Going back in time, lets look at thing.

Cakes making $15m for 2 seasons, and his WAR was .1 and 1.8.

Many of us, love Cakes, but felt, he was trending downwards, and he wasn't worth a 4 year deal. I believe at the time, only the Braves was the only team willing to go 4.

Since then, he has posted, 1.7, 1.7, .7 and 3.0.

Hindsight, if I had forecasted the problems with his replacements, I would have agreed it was better to keep him.

But at the time, the business side of things leaned towards this being the right deal, just like Cruz and his deal.

Sucks, when hindsight proves us wrong, but whats worse, being like Davis, and keeping the guy, and not getting your money's worth?

It is not hindsight.  It was a bad decision then and much worse now.   The plan to let Markakis go and to replace him with Travis Snider, et. al.  was idiotic then and idiotic now.    We just disagree.  You can apologize for Dan all you want, I have my opinion and you have yours.    How much WAR has Travis Snider put up since 2015?     Dan's wonderful, 20 years of expertise, great talent evaluation right then at the time was that Travis Snider was a better value in right field going forward than Nick Markakis.     It is these kinds of "business decisions" that have cumulatively murdered this franchise.  

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is not hindsight.  It was a bad decision then and much worse now.   The plan to let Markakis go and to replace him with Travis Snider, et. al.  was idiotic then and idiotic now.    We just disagree.  You can apologize for Dan all you want, I have my opinion and you have yours.    How much WAR has Travis Snider put up since 2015?     Dan's wonderful, 20 years of expertise, great talent evaluation right then at the time was that Travis Snider was a better value in right field going forward than Nick Markakis.     It is these kinds of "business decisions" that have cumulatively murdered this franchise.  

You need to separate two issues.  One issue is if they should have given Nick four years.  The other issues is their inability to find a decent Right Fielder since Nick left.

Not giving Nick four years was a good idea, just like not bringing back Davis, Trumbo, Hardy and O'Day when they were over 30 were good ideas.

Their incompetence in finding a replacement is a different issue.  It should not have been that hard to find a below average right fielder for three years.   Obviously Nick is playing much better than that this year but that's just baseball and no one expected this year out of Nick.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You need to separate two issues.  One issue is if they should have given Nick four years.  The other issues is their inability to find a decent Right Fielder since Nick left.

Not giving Nick four years was a good idea, just like not bringing back Davis, Trumbo, Hardy and O'Day when they were over 30 were good ideas.

Their incompetence in finding a replacement is a different issue.  It should not have been that hard to find a below average right fielder for three years.   Obviously Nick is playing much better than that this year but that's just baseball and no one expected this year out of Nick.

So, after 2014 and as close as we were to making the first World Series in over 30 years, ...OK, let me go out and find a "below average right fielder"....that will get us over the top in 2015?   That was the strategy?   Not giving a lifetime Oriole, a warrior and an anchor to the winning team in 2014 one more year added to a 3 year deal was a mistake.   We obviously just disagree on that call.  I would have signed him to the four years.   

But if as you say Duquette did it with absolutely no consideration at all as to what the replacement strategy was going to be after a pennant winning season?  Or he was so incompetent that he could not find, as you say, a "below average right fielder".   Well, actually, that is what I do think happened, which is shameful.     I would have fired Duquette sometime during the 2015 season if I was Angelos- probably after sticking Gerardo Parra in the mix.  For the Toronto debacle AND for his terrible performance in the offseason after 2014.     But it is all water under the bridge at this point.  

I am sure no one "expected" Glenn Davis to suck or Frank Robinson to be a Triple Crown winner rather than "an old 30", but that is what makes or breaks GMs is getting it right.  Not just guessing and then, oh well, nobody could have seen that coming.   Nope, getting it right or get fired, which is where we are at right now.   I will gladly watch Nick at the All Star game.  I hope he wins a batting title, a World Series ring and then has three more seasons just like this one.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So, after 2014 and as close as we were to making the first World Series in over 30 years, ...OK, let me go out and find a "below average right fielder"....that will get us over the top in 2015?   That was the strategy?   Not giving a lifetime Oriole, a warrior and an anchor to the winning team in 2014 one more year added to a 3 year deal was a mistake.   We obviously just disagree on that call.  I would have signed him to the four years.   

But if as you say Duquette did it with absolutely no consideration at all as to what the replacement strategy was going to be after a pennant winning season?  Or he was so incompetent that he could not find, as you say, a "below average right fielder".   Well, actually, that is what I do think happened, which is shameful.     I would have fired Duquette sometime during the 2015 season if I was Angelos- probably after sticking Gerardo Parra in the mix.  For the Toronto debacle AND for his terrible performance in the offseason after 2014.     But it is all water under the bridge at this point.  

I am sure no one "expected" Glenn Davis to suck or Frank Robinson to be a Triple Crown winner rather than "an old 30", but that is what makes or breaks GMs is getting it right.  Not just guessing and then, oh well, nobody could have seen that coming.   Nope, getting it right or get fired, which is where we are at right now.   I will gladly watch Nick at the All Star game.  I hope he wins a batting title, a World Series ring and then has three more seasons just like this one.  

Nick's a warrior now?

Because he refused to get surgery to fix that Ganglion cyst that was sapping his power? 

Is that why he's a warrior?

As for being a lifetime O, well the team made an offer, if Nick wanted to be a lifetime O he could have accepted it.  If he felt an allegiance to the team he would have stayed right?  Not as if the O's offer was an insult.

Not sure why you keep putting "below average right fielder" in quotes.  You do realize that 2 WAR is the accepted threshold for major league regular correct?  And that Nick was below that threshold for the last three seasons?

What you do is follow the correct process when making decisions.  Everyone in baseball is at the mercy of chance.  I find the bolded interesting since Dan would have been "guessing" if he had given a declining Markakis a four year deal

Archived