Would you trade Gausman?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Gausman?

• Only for a top 20 praopect as center of deal
    • Would need a top 50 prospect as center of deal
    • Top 100 prospect as center of deal would be good enough for me
    • He sucks, get what you can for him
    • No way, he will turn into Arrietta

You need two guys you think will be major league regulars.  Either as starting pitchers or starting position players. If you can get that you trade him. If you can't you don't.  I don't care too much about how the players are ranked.  

Your poll options could use some work.  I wouldn't trade him at this point or in the near future, but not because I think he'll be the next Arrietta.  He might be, or he might not be.

Here's why I'm not trading him (or Bundy ftm); you're going to need someone to pitch, and he's controlled via arbitration and somewhat affordable until what, after the 2021 season?  I see a big salary purge coming due to the lack of attendance and the drop in ratings, along with the MASN dispute issues.  I think Cashner and Cobb are candidates to be traded this offseason, and obviously a lot of 2018 salary is going to be already off the books with the trading of all the pending FAs, none of which pull a Bordick and come back here, IMO.  So if I'm correct and one or both of Cashner and Cobb is traded this winter, again, you need someone to pitch.  I wouldn't be looking to move Gausman until the winter before his FA walk year, possibly that previous July if he has a big season and you don't think you can sign him to an extension.  He's got talent, but I dunno if he'll take the next step up from being what he is now, a MOR guy.  In FA, he'll still make damn good money, but I wouldn't blame the Orioles if they don't want to pay big $$ for mediocrity and decide to move him at the appropriate time.

7 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Because pitching is so hard to come by, I think you try to extend him. If you can't then you trade him. Right now the Yanks would give up some good young talent for him, but hard to trade him there.

I agree. I would be interested in extending both Bundy and Gausman at decent deals. No matter where you are on the spectrum, two talented young starters can help you. Maybe they wouldn't be interested in extending right now, but I'd imagine both are pitching to their floor at the moment. They might stay at that floor, but it's still valuable and I'd be interested in getting mutually agreeable deals done. 

5 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Gausman is/will be very good for a team that plays defense

He is very damaged by pitching in front of the worst defensive team in baseball and one of the worst defensive OF's in baseball history.

I don’t disagree that our defense stinks, but ERA 4.33, FIP 4.47 suggests he hasn’t been damaged by his defense much at all.    Allowing fewer than 1.5 homers per 9 innings would help — the defense can’t do much about that.     

Full disclosure, his xFIP is 3.90, so if you like that better than FIP then that suggests the defense has hurt him.   Still, the gopher balls are on him, and his K/9 is pretty disappointing for a guy who can throw in the mid to high 90’s.

Archived