Yusniel Diaz: Where would he rank in the O's pipeline?

wildcard

The other names seem fluid but Diaz name is pretty consistent in exchange for Manny.   Where do you think he should be placed on the O's Top 30 Prospect List?

I doubt we see him play for the O's this year.  He does not have enough minor league service time to need to be protected in the Rule 5 draft.  We should see him in ST camp next spring.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Top 3 w/ Mountcastle and DL Hall

This seems right to me. .420 OBP in AAA with some pop and tools. Lots to like here. I would only put Mountcastle ahead of him and actually from what we've been reading he may be a more complete player even if Mountcastle has a better bat.

Of course, Hays and Harvey could both get back in the top 3 picture if they get healthy and do what we know they can do.

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This seems right to me. .420 OBP in AAA with some pop and tools. Lots to like here. I would only put Mountcastle ahead of him and actually from what we've been reading he may be a more complete player even if Mountcastle has a better bat.

Of course, Hays and Harvey could both get back in the top 3 picture if they get healthy and do what we know they can do.

428 OBP at AA.  He has never played at AAA.   Yet.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=efrain000yun

1 minute ago, oriole said:

I know I'm in the minority, but do we really need another OF prospect? Someone has to play middle infield...

Maybe in the Britton trade. 

If the O's have too many good OFer they can trade one for an infielder.   It going to be pretty fluid for a while. 

I like Jose Iglesias as a FA.

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

I know I'm in the minority, but do we really need another OF prospect? Someone has to play middle infield...

Not wrong, but the Brewers weren't giving up Keston Huira. Don't know if Dodgers were willing to part with Gavin Lux. We have a bunch of OF prospects, but I don't know if any of them are impact players, unless you assume Mountcastle ends up in LF eventually. We needed to get a potential impact player back for Manny, and if Diaz bats top 2 in the order with an OBP of .380+ for most of the next decade, than I take it. 

36 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This seems right to me. .420 OBP in AAA with some pop and tools. 

AA, not AAA.     He’d certainly be in our top 5.    Where exactly, I couldn’t say.    It’s nice to see a high OBP guy, though.    

39 minutes ago, oriole said:

Our biggest need is top level talent, so he fills our biggest need.  It would be nice if he was an infielder, but that's a secondary concern.  

17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Our biggest need is top level talent, so he fills our biggest need.  It would be nice if he was an infielder, but that's a secondary concern.  

That makes sense...I get the whole idea of just go with the best talent regardless of position and they'll work out the details later. At the same time, it's good to diversify the positional aspect at least a little bit. Mountcastle seems to be a LF/DH in the making and add that to Mullins, Hayes, Stewart, Mancini, and whatever other surprises come along then it looks like a problem. Especially considering the lack of talent pretty much everywhere else on the field. 

I would put Diaz above Mountcastle who does not yet have a position and is not drawing enough Walks. We also have no idea If Mountcastle will look like Mancini or Trumbo in the OF. I would try Mountcastle at 1B. 

Archived