So, how would you characterize the return on the Manny trade?

Frobby

I’d describe the return for Manny as...  

204 members have voted

1. 1. I’d describe the return for Manny as

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/25/18 at 04:25

Following on Greg Pappas’ thread where he asked people to predict the quality of the return we’d get for Manny, now that we know the outcome, how do you rate it?   I’m using the same scale Greg used so we can see how the answers line up.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

Following on Greg Pappas’ thread where he asked people to predict the quality of the return we’d get for Manny, now that we know the outcome, how do you rate it?   I’m using the same scale Greg used so we can see how the answers line up.

From a quantity point, it is great. A Top 100 national prospect and potentially a few gap fillers.

But give it 5 years and see how these players are doing.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I voted solid. 

Right after the trade, we kind of have to treat it like a stock or like poker.  Based not on actual results but probability.

For 2.5 months and something like 2 wins, the Orioles got a solid return.  Chances are the combination of those five players will give the team more wins, albeit spread over a longer time.

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

For 2.5 months and something like 2 wins, the Orioles got a real solid return.  Chances are the combination of those five players will give the team more wins, albeit spread over a longer time.

And, barring the literal end of the world, at a time when they might remotely matter.

It seems like the highest you could ever rank a trade like this is solid.  How could you characterize a return that involved not seeing Manny Machado in an O's uniform as  "outstanding"? We can only hope that somewhere down the line one of these guys...or in some diffuse, less satisfying combination.....gives us as much joy as Manny did.

Solid.  It's a rental for them.  As I've said countless times, teams weren't offering their top prospects so this seems to be a logical trade if getting a true top flight prospect wasn't in the cards for them.

I disagree it'll take 5 years to know.  It'll take 2.  By then we should know what we have in Diaz, that guy should be in Baltimore next year.  If the rest aren't progressing through our system, you'll know what the outcome of this trade was.

16 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

It’s less than what anyone was speculating. 

Less than who was speculating?  People on here?  You might be confused with what people were hoping for and how they ignore reality.

1 minute ago, Cy Bundy said:

That’s a distinct possibility. 

Its like losing the fiancé you loved a year after losing your dream job. She can do better, you guys had a great time but depression is setting in and there is nobody hiring. But, a hot girl on match.com is interested & tells you she has season tickets, box seats, for the Caps. Then you meet her, she’s hot and she’s bright, but it turns out she really only had tickets to nickelback. 

I can overlook nickelback.  

Strong return for me.  Agree with what RZ said - they did the best they could - picking up a top 50 prospect was very strong.  Sure, Diaz is a prospect, but he is a very, very good one with developing upside power, a good RF profile and a very high obp already in AA.  Diaz will be a key piece for our next playoff team.

Archived