John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Except this isn't an opinion. 

He signed a fair market deal for the player he was at the time.

If you care to dig up quotes of folks at the time saying it was team friendly deal I'll go ahead and reconsider.

He was the star player on the team, and he passed on a chance at free agency in the middle of an All Star/Gold Glove year where he finished 6th in MVP voting.

In 2013, Adam's possible walk year, Shin-Soo Choo signed for $130M, Jacoby Ellsbury $153M. 

So yeah, I'd say he left some money on the table.

4 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

No, as I guess playing in October for a title isn't as appealing to him as playing for a 36-85 team.

Exactly, I love Adam, but I don't get it. Having said that, it is possible there is a personal family situation that is to blame. 

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He was the star player on the team, and he passed on a chance at free agency in the middle of an All Star/Gold Glove year where he finished 6th in MVP voting.

In 2013, Adam's possible walk year, Shin-Soo Choo signed for $130M, Jacoby Ellsbury $153M. 

So yeah, I'd say he left some money on the table.

So yeah, I'd say you are looking at things with the benefit of hindsight.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So yeah, I'd say you are looking at things with the benefit of hindsight.

Thats not hindsight.  Jones was as good or better then those guys before 2013 and has been better since then and was also 2 years younger then Elsbury and 3 years younger then Choo.  Jones took less many then he would have got on the open market i don't see how that is even debatable.

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

What a sad end to a career in Baltimore. I can't think of a similar situation. Neither the organization nor the majority of hardcore fans want to see him stay. He's signed a team-friendly deal in the past, and bought Cal's house. He refused a trade. It's like dating the super hot girl when she's clearly not into you at all.

So in your analogy the Orioles are comparable to a super hot girl...?

You finish the season as a fourth outfielder, everyone sees you as a fourth outfielder. You go into free agency tagged as fourth outfielder, you might as well be Craig Gentry, cause no one is paying like a starter. 

I think there's a pretty good chance Adam would accept a deal to a contending team where he would be the everyday right-fielder. Anything less than that and he's hurting himself.

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

You finish the season as a fourth outfielder, everyone sees you as a fourth outfielder. You go into free agency tagged as fourth outfielder, you might as well be Craig Gentry, cause no one is paying like a starter. 

I think there's a pretty good chance Adam would accept a deal to a contending team where he would be the everyday right-fielder. Anything less than that and he's hurting himself.

Exactly. I would imagine that the players outside of a select few remember what happened this past off season.

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Thats not hindsight.  Jones was as good or better then those guys before 2013 and has been better since then and was also 2 years younger then Elsbury and 3 years younger then Choo.  Jones took less many then he would have got on the open market i don't see how that is even debatable.

This is the very definition of hindsight.

I'm not saying Jones didn't outperform his contract.

Jones was not a free agent when he signed his deal.  When you are including arbitration years in your extension you do not get paid as a free agent.

13 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

That makes sense. Adam's certainly good enough to be a starting outfielder somewhere. But I don't see most teams wanting to give him center field. 

Gonna be interesting, but I don't see Adam going anywhere at this point. Nothing has changed since before the deadline, really. Clearly the Orioles have some hopes, or they wouldn't have tried to clear him through waivers. But it seems like a formality, almost. 

It was unfortunate we couldn't get a player for him before the deadline. And it's sad that he won't be a fit here going forward.

But Adam has been a great Oriole, for the most part. I hope he'll rejoin the organization in some capacity down the road. 

17 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't agree that it would be worse for him to be a team player on a contender than it was to get pushed out of center on a last place team.

Maybe I'm wrong.

But if you can't play center for Buck who can you play center for?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't agree that it would be worse for him to be a team player on a contender than it was to get pushed out of center on a last place team.

Maybe I'm wrong.

But if you can't play center for Buck who can you play center for?

Interesting. I didn't view it as Adam being "pushed out." It seemed to me like everybody just acknowledged reality: this team is going into rebuild mode. Adam understands that means playing the youngsters. He's not coming back anyway, so he's showing that he's a team player. He also understands that most teams probably wouldn't covet him for center going forward, anyway. So this is a chance to showcase himself in right. But it's not like they're putting Mullins in center hoping to win more games. 

1 minute ago, Bradysburns said:

Interesting. I didn't view it as Adam being "pushed out." It seemed to me like everybody just acknowledged reality: this team is going into rebuild mode. Adam understands that means playing the youngsters. He's not coming back anyway, so he's showing that he's a team player. He also understands that most teams probably wouldn't covet him for center going forward, anyway. So this is a chance to showcase himself in right. But it's not like they're putting Mullins in center hoping to win more games. 

I view it as a clear declaration that Jones isn't a CF anymore.

Archived