John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Finisher said:

So teams are going to base their free agent contracts to Jones whether he's a fourth outfielder for a month or two and not years of data?

I would think a player turning down a chance for a ring is a bigger negative.

Adam can be more than a 4th OF and I think its still possible that someone makes a move for him that works.  We're still not getting anything for him and even if he is a WS MVP for the Yankees, he is not getting what he wants as a FA,  Well maybe if he does that, but not likely.  He may or may not have signed a team friendly deal.  But all in all as extensions go, its been a good one for the O's and we should not forget that now,

Teams looking for a playoff boost may be sobered a bit by his playoff performance ...14 games in 5 series,   .155 BA with .413 OPS and 1home run...sure small sample size, but still, hard to see how a team with World Series visions sees much of an add here.  

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Teams looking for a playoff boost may be sobered a bit by his playoff performance ...14 games in 5 series,   .155 BA with .413 OPS and 1home run...sure small sample size, but still, hard to see how a team with World Series visions sees much of an add here.  

wbc-fans.jpg?quality=95&w=650

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

He was the star player on the team, and he passed on a chance at free agency in the middle of an All Star/Gold Glove year where he finished 6th in MVP voting.

In 2013, Adam's possible walk year, Shin-Soo Choo signed for $130M, Jacoby Ellsbury $153M. 

So yeah, I'd say he left some money on the table.

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Thats not hindsight.  Jones was as good or better then those guys before 2013 and has been better since then and was also 2 years younger then Elsbury and 3 years younger then Choo.  Jones took less many then he would have got on the open market i don't see how that is even debatable.

Adam signed early in the 2012 season.  At the time, he had a career OPS slightly north of .756.   Choo, when he signed his deal, had an .854 OPS, Ellsbury, .789.   

Jones, when he signed his deal, had never topped 3.3 rWAR in a season.   Choo had five seasons better than that: 5.9, 5.5, 4.4, 3.6, 3.6.   Ellsbury had topped it twice, at 8.3 and 5.7 in his walk year.

If Jones had waited and produced as he did in 2012 and 2013, he could have added a 4.1 and 4.7 rWAR season to his resume.    But he didn’t.   At the time he signed his deal, it was very fair to both sides.    As it turns out, he outproduced it.    But it’s not like he was doing the team a favor.    

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I view it as a clear declaration that Jones isn't a CF anymore.

Possibly. And if so, it would have been interesting had the Orioles outperformed this season. If we were playoff bound with Adam in center, it would be VERY hard for the Orioles not to re-up with him. 

6 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, energy at the beginning of a season is different for a 33 year old than the end after playing almost every game...great catch, but him playing WBC did not help us any that season.  

But it did help the United States ?

• 3 weeks later...

not the head.

He says that having Jones return in 2019 makes sense.   But seeing the O's traded Gausman in a salary dump for next to nothing says otherwise.   The O's are not going to be a winning team anytime soon.   To spend money on Jones would be a turn in the opposite direction from where the rebuild is headed.

Rich uses the Buck quote of  "If not Jones who?"    And if the intent was to win now, he might have a point.  But instead we probably see an outfield to start 2019 on Mancini, Mullins and Rickard, while the O's wait for Hays and Diaz to become their long term outfield answers.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/09/05/jones-return-orioles-2019-seems-make-sense/

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

not the head.

He says that having Jones return in 2019 makes sense.   But seeing the O's trade Gausman in a salary dump for next to nothing says otherwise.   The O's are not going to be a winning team anytime some.   To send money on Jones would be a turn in the opposite direction from where the rebuild is headed.

Rich uses the Buck quote of  "If not Jones who?"    And if the intent was to win now, he might have a point.  But instead we probably see an outfield to start 2019 on Mancini, Mullins and Rickard, while the O's wait for Hays and Diaz to become their long term outfield answers.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/09/05/jones-return-orioles-2019-seems-make-sense/

If they resign Jones it will only be for PR/marketing. So they have someone to continue to serve as the face of the franchise until someone else emerges. From a pure baseball perspective resigning him makes absolutely no sense. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If they resign Jones it will only be for PR/marketing. So they have someone to continue to serve as the face of the franchise until someone else emerges. From a pure baseball perspective resigning him makes absolutely no sense. 

Good point. I honestly can't say what I think the Orioles will do because we still don't know who will be running the show. What I will say though, is if Jones is brought back, it's because ownership wants him back for PR/marketing purposes, not because any baseball man would think Jones' contract demands (unless they shrink to something minuscule) fits on a rebuilding team that just salary dumped it's best retainable starting pitcher.

Archived