John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

I think for a leader such as Adam is, it's reasonable. I think it would have to be a 2-3 year deal for reasonable money in a COF spot. He's the right kind of guy to have around to bring the young guys along. Besides that, I do not expect everyone of our outfielder prospects to pan out, I'll be happy if two of them do. Make these kids have to earn it a little - best 2 out of 3?

How can they earn it when they have an immovable object to contend with?  You think ownership will eat the money and DFA Jones?  You sign Jones you are eliminating a possible spot the kids can play, just like they did with Davis.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can they earn it when they have an immovable object to contend with?  You think ownership will eat the money and DFA Jones?  You sign Jones you are eliminating a possible spot the kids can play, just like they did with Davis.

What I was implying is make the kids contend among themselves for the remaining two outfield spots. Jones will have the other - he is still a capable player, even more so in a COF. The comparison to Davis is only valid in that they are both veterans.

How many rookie OF’s do we go with next year? I think 2 at most. Mullins is a lock.

The one scenario I wouldn’t mind keeping Jones would be if both Davis and Trumbo are gone. Mancini would play 1st. It would have to be a 2 year at most deal.  

I think they could get by fine next year without him really blocking anyone. 2020 is the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many wins has Jones' leadership gifted the O's this year?  How many wins has his glove cost them?

Which number is higher?

His glove is less an issue in a corner spot, presumably. Jones' leadership may be a lot more valuable in the years to come with a team full of youngsters.

I don't know, I just don't think Jones is worth re-signing. You can't have emotional attachments in this game, especially not on a team that needs a lot of improvement and has little room for a wasted roster spot on a veteran whose best years are gone.

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

What I was implying is make the kids contend among themselves for the remaining two outfield spots. Jones will have the other - he is still a capable player, even more so in a COF. The comparison to Davis is only valid in that they are both veterans.

What are you doing with Mancini?

Will he be part of the competition?  Released?  Release Trumbo and DH him?

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

No, they will eat up a position in the field and the lineup regardless of performance for as long as they stay with the team.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What are you doing with Mancini?

Will he be part of the competition?  Released?  Release Trumbo and DH him?

I have made my thoughts on this subject known before, I trade Trumbo for WHATEVER(anything) I can get for him. Mancini can play 1B. Eventually Mountcastle can DH.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

No, they will eat up a position in the field and the lineup regardless of performance for as long as they stay with the team.

You think Davis will continue to be put in the lineup the rest of this year/next+ while hitting .160?

IDK, I'm not sure what the plan would be but I have a hard time seeing it.

Well you are assuming Jones falls off a cliff. That could happen, but I would bet a lot that it won't be similar to Davis' decline.

I don't think he's better now. 

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying Jones is no better than Davis right now today? That's a pretty indefensible position to take.

You are asking me what I would do, so let's not muddy the water with what the Orioles are going to do. I WOULD sit Davis on the end of the bench every night, as the 25th man, if I couldn't outright release him tomorrow.

Archived