How do you rate the return on the Britton trade?

Frobby

How do you rate the return on the Britton trade  

222 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the return for Britton?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/31/18 at 06:54

1 hour ago, Todd-O said:

Some of you guys are literally unbelievable.

The Os could have traded Britton for 3 sure shot hall of famers and you’d still be bitching that the Orioles didn’t hold out for enough.  It’s like this never ending pitty party where you’re either kicking the team as a whole or questioning the intelligence of some of the folks running the show.  Full-on adult internet tantrums.

you gotta relax and enjoy the process.  Look at the bright side and positive for a change.  You’ll be a lot happier for it, that’s for sure.

The future is bleak.  

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, kramer_ said:

Ok, thinking about it more, it think Tate is somewhere between 4th and 6th.  I have read somewhere on here that he was #6 on an updated midseason list.  Obviously that is someone's opinion but if he was top 10 for the MFY he HAS to be rated higher in the Orioles organization.  

Tell me 10 oriole prospects who you rate higher..

I can't disagree with your logic there, but like I said - it seems to me that he shouldn't have been rated so highly in the Yankees list - looking at his stats at his age in AA - very unremarkable.  

To answer your question, I'd at least consider: Mountcastle, Mullen, Hays, Diaz, Hall, Harvey, Akin, Hanifee, Kreemer, and Lowther.   

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/7/24/17610564/new-york-yankees-send-dillon-tate-cody-carroll-and-josh-rogers-to-orioles-for-zach-britton

The overview from John Sickels's site had the new tidbit to me that Tate relieved in college before transitioning to the rotation.  He definitely hits me as the type of talent where the compare contrast of does a club ask him to dominate for 85 IP or sustain for 175 IP is an interesting one.

Just now, Ruzious said:

I can't disagree with your logic there, but like I said - it seems to me that he shouldn't have been rated so highly in the Yankees list - looking at his stats at his age in AA - very unremarkable.  

To answer your question in no particular order: Mountcastle, Mullen, Hays, Diaz, Hall, Harvey, Akin, Hanifee, Kreemer, and Lowther.   

The Yankees system seems to very overrated. 

I think it is time to clean house with coaches, manager and GM.   Start fresh next season.  If the Orioles have truly changed ownership direction it should be easier to get someone solid to run the team.. 

FWIW, there are 13 pitchers drafted in 2015 who have reached the majors, all of whom were drafted after Tate.    None that have reached the 1 WAR mark, though.    So, I wouldn’t necessarily say that Tate’s behind schedule, though you certainly would hope for a faster ascension from a 4th overall pick who went to college.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

FWIW, there are 13 pitchers drafted in 2015 who have reached the majors, all of whom were drafted after Tate.    None that have reached the 1 WAR mark, though.    So, I wouldn’t necessarily say that Tate’s behind schedule, though you certainly would hope for a faster ascension from a 4th overall pick who went to college.    

I don't get how he is 24 if he was drafted after one year of college in 2015.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't get how he is 24 if he was drafted after one year of college in 2015.

He played 3 years of college ball.  This is from MLB.com:

In three years at UC Santa Barbara, Tate went from pitching three innings as a freshman to starring as a reliever as a sophomore to moving into the rotation and becoming the No. 4 overall pick in the 2015 Draft as a junior. After he signed with the Rangers for $4.2 million, his stuff regressed and he fell out of favor quickly. Texas dealt him with relief prospects Erik Swanson and Nick Green to get Carlos Beltran from the Yankees in the summer of 2016, and after parts of three seasons in New York's system, Tate was traded once again -- this time to Baltimore along with Cody Carroll and Josh Rogers in exchange for Zach Britton.

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I don't think we can make any broad predictions on these players right now. Like the Dodgers prospects, most of whom are in A ball, these prospects haven't really seen any major league service, and while the bulk of the players MAY have upside, its just too early to tell what we've got.The Yankees pitchers are older, a maybe closer to competing with the big club, but I believe theres a reason we were able to obtain them. They aren't elite prospects right now. If thats negative, so be it. I just don't think anyone can say for sure what we've got.

4 of the prospects the O's got from LAD are in AA, and the other is in AAA.  

I think the return is fine given the context. But it pains me to think what they could have demanded after this performance:

Year Age Tm W L ERA G GF SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
2016 28 BAL 2 1 0.54 69 63 47 67 38 7 4 1 18 3 74 0 10 254 803 1.94 0.836 5.1 0.1 2.4 9.9 4.11

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

The future is bleak.  

Well, the future is always bleak.  To those who always proverbially have their head up their....:deadhorse:

But seriously...

If you insist on looking for the negative.  It will always be there.

I'm actually looking forward to the rebuilding process and am pleased that the organization is committed to it.  DD's recent comments have been refreshing.  Remember, when the O's were losing year after year (before the Buck/DD era), they refused to go into rebuild mode - there's nothing worse than watching relatively old teams lose and lose and lose.  Now, they're on the right track.  What they really need to do is add a couple of elite young talents.  

34 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think the return is fine given the context. But it pains me to think what they could have demanded after this performance:

Year Age Tm W L ERA G GF SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
2016 28 BAL 2 1 0.54 69 63 47 67 38 7 4 1 18 3 74 0 10 254 803 1.94 0.836 5.1 0.1 2.4 9.9 4.11

The O's made the Wild Card Game in 2016. They weren't trading anyone. Yes, fun to think about what the return would have been, but don't let it pain you, friend.

9 minutes ago, theocean said:

The O's made the Wild Card Game in 2016. They weren't trading anyone. Yes, fun to think about what the return would have been, but don't let it pain you, friend.

Erghhhhhhhhh I hate the play in game. They should have been considering the realities of this offseason well before 2018.

It's the unfortunate reality of life in the AL East as a midmarket team. Buy and sell at the same time - this idea that you have to be either ALL IN or REBUILD is ridiculous to me.

This is one of those accepted things that people shrug off as "it's just the way it's done." Drives me bananas.

Archived