Cody Carroll should be with the O's soon

wildcard

The O's will want to see Carroll at Norfolk first but his numbers in the International League look good enough to be a late inning reliever in the majors if not a closer.    

Brach is not having a good year and I doubt he gets trade in July.  There are too many other relievers on the market.    Maybe if he pitches well in August.    The best way to get him to pitch better is to put him in a setup role.

Givens is not having a good year either.   Marinez who closed in Norfolk walks too many.

Carroll has a 3-0, 2.38 ERA,  32 G, 41.2 IP,  27 H, 18 BB, 55 SO, 1-08 WHIP at AAA.  His fastball is 96-98 and can touch 100.  His slider in rated  60.   

Britton 40 man roster spot in open.   I think we will see Carrol in the near term after a few outings at Norfolk.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree the numbers make it look like he is ready, isn't there service time implications to take into consideration?  This is a lost year anyway, so another win or two by bring out Carroll versus say Brach or Givens really doesn't matter.  Granted I'm not up to date on the service time situation for Carroll, and to be honest the service time thing can be confusing also.  But I wouldn't bring any truly talented guy to the majors this year if it's going to negatively impact service time or how long they are ours before hitting free agency.

21 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Option Marinez. He serves us no purpose. DFA Brach and call up Means.

Marinez is out of options.  The O's are paying Brach so they are not going to DFA him.   Probably try to pass him through waivers after August 1st and see if they can trade him thereafter.

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Never heard of this guy. I'm interested. Of course we have heard that Tanner Scott can touch 100, but he clearly has some things to work out.

True.  And Carroll will probably had his challenges in the majors as well.   That is why I am not worried about service time issues.  Just because he comes up does not mean he is in the majors of the next 6 years.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Marinez is out of options.  The O's are paying Brach so they are no going to DFA him.   Probably try to pass him through waivers after August 1st and see if they can trade him thereafter.

Then DFA Marinez. Brach serves this team no purpose any longer, get rid of him somehow, soon.

Just now, amdcpus said:

Then DFA Marinez. Brach serves this team no purpose any longer, get rid of him somehow, soon.

If  Brach puts 5 to 7 good outing together he could bring back a decent prospect in trade.   

I think they will hold on to Marinez as long as he is pitching well.  They have other pitchers to option if they need space. Maybe they would rather have Hess start in the minors for a while,   Maybe Scott will needs a break from the majors to find some consistency.  Maybe Brach is traded. Maybe Bundy goes on the DL.  

The O's still have August to go through which  is a really tester for pitchers.  If someone is pitching well he probably stays in the organization.

57 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

While I agree the numbers make it look like he is ready, isn't there service time implications to take into consideration?  This is a lost year anyway, so another win or two by bring out Carroll versus say Brach or Givens really doesn't matter.  Granted I'm not up to date on the service time situation for Carroll, and to be honest the service time thing can be confusing also.  But I wouldn't bring any truly talented guy to the majors this year if it's going to negatively impact service time or how long they are ours before hitting free agency.

You are seriously worried about service time with a relief pitcher?

Who wants to pay arb 3 price for a bullpen guy?

Some have said he could be our closer of the future.  Maybe that's overblown, maybe it's not.  But yes, for all our players during this rebuild I'm worried about service time.  Sure, for some positions and players it's more important than for others, but this is a lost season...I see no real benefit to bringing him up a month quicker if that means we lose a year of control in the end.  

9 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Some have said he could be our closer of the future.  Maybe that's overblown, maybe it's not.  But yes, for all our players during this rebuild I'm worried about service time.  Sure, for some positions and players it's more important than for others, but this is a lost season...I see no real benefit to bringing him up a month quicker if that means we lose a year of control in the end.  

There is a benefit to bringing young players to the majors if they are ready to make the jump.   They and the team get to see how they measure up. What the need to work on.  What plays well.

Archived