Grade the Rebuild, Phase I

Frobby

Grade the Rebuild, Phase I  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the five trades and rebuild steps overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 18:35

C. Disappointing that the Orioles didn't get a real gem from anyone's system, especially for Gausman. I thought he was definitely their best chip. They definitely valued the salary dump of O'Day higher than I imagined they would. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Roy Firestone said:

Robby, we disagree. We got an overweight pitching prospect who has put up mediocre numbers at AA. A mediocre hitting infielder, and a long shot prospect at low A for a player who was still under control for 1.3 seasons ... is one year removed from being an All Star , and was showing his swing was back after an injury. I guarantee Schoop will be a star wherever he goes. And we basically got nothing substantial for him.

We’ll see.    I have a hunch Carmona is going to be a good player.    Only a hunch, no real info except I think his performance so far at a young age looks good.   I’ll be interested to see how he gets used at Aberdeen the rest of the year.    

B/B-.

I had it as A/A- prior to yesterday.  Thought DD was deliberate in trading Manny and Britton, and seemed to get a good deal given that other teams knew we had no choice but to trade them.  Liked that they prioritized International Signing Money in the trade for Brach.  Yesterday dampened my enthusiasm. Did not like the salary dump as part of the Gausman trade.  Schoop trade may be too early to tell, but with the flexibility that the O's did not need to trade him yesterday, seems like the O's could have acquired more.  Next phase's success rides heavily on whether the O's can sign VVM, and a solid selection with the #1 (or 2 or 3) pick in the 2019 draft first round.

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Robby, we disagree. We got an overweight pitching prospect who has put up mediocre numbers at AA. A mediocre hitting infielder, and a long shot prospect at low A for a player who was still under control for 1.3 seasons ... is one year removed from being an All Star , and was showing his swing was back after an injury. I guarantee Schoop will be a star wherever he goes. And we basically got nothing substantial for him.

No offense but stat scouting is almost completely worthless when you just acquire a prospect. Many people are high on Ortiz and some think he was easily the second best prospect we got right behind Diaz. Schoop played at an all star caliber level for one year. That's it. We have a body of work of 4 years now and only one of those years he showed the plate discipline necessary to be a perennial all star. It has completely regressed this year and his defensive capabilities are average to fringe average and dwindling. He's already reached his ceiling.

I give it a C because I have no idea how the prospects will pan out. If the O's scouts earned their money than it could be higher

I was leaning towards a C- as someone in the FO should get an F for how Adam Jones was handled. It must have taken a total lack of tact to piss off AJ so much that he didn't accept his get out of jail free card and go to a contender. Now it's up to Buck (who never offends veterans) to move him out of CF and "audition Cedric Mullins" per quote of DD.

B. Only way it could have been better would be a Gleybar type of prospect, or somehow getting rid of Trumbo/Davis. However, there is no evidence that any better prospects were available, and you can't fault the Orioles for the lack of market for Trumbo and Davis. Also, Jones did not waive his NT and you can't fault us for that. Not great, but I think we are in a better position for the future than we were a few weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, Natty said:

Is phase II going to be dump Trumbo and Davis at all costs? We signed them as sluggers. They are not sluggers now. Can't call it a rebuild until they are gone.

Phase II is spend the international money and make some waiver trades, most likely Valencia and possibly Trumbo.

We are stuck with Davis. Eating his contract is Phase 9999943.

I'm giving it an A.

"Moose, you're so negative, are you delusional?"

Maybe.  Maybe your mother.

In the span of 3 weeks they've acquired 15 new players.  There might not be an absolute stud in there, but that's what this team gets for holding onto players for too long and trading them off as rentals.

The top 10 of our franchise prospect list has transformed.  There are some other guys that could step up and make noise.  I am particularly interested in Bannon.

DD announced that they were going to make efforts in the international scouting and signing arena, to which some of us rolled our eyes.  But he's horded a lot of money and it looks like we're going to make a big push for VVM and some others.  If you heard DD on the broadcast last night, he said he loves scouting in South America.  If we can land VVM we are looking really good.  If not, I feel confident that the trades that were made these few weeks will still get us moving in the right direction.

I'm all in, you pikers.  I am excited for this rebuild and I'm happy it's well underway.  

24 minutes ago, Natty said:

Is phase II going to be dump Trumbo and Davis at all costs? We signed them as sluggers. They are not sluggers now. Can't call it a rebuild until they are gone.

If they "dump" Davis, they're still on the hook for his paycheck. No one is taking his contract off our hands. I don't see the O's front office paying Davis and not playing him.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

B. Only way it could have been better would be a Gleybar type of prospect, or somehow getting rid of Trumbo/Davis. However, there is no evidence that any better prospects were available, and you can't fault the Orioles for the lack of market for Trumbo and Davis. Also, Jones did not waive his NT and you can't fault us for that. Not great, but I think we are in a better position for the future than we were a few weeks ago.

True, but DD did not have to trade Gausman and Schoop.  He could have waited until the offseason or even into next season.  But I like the energy with which he is working, and it could be that some of the prospects received for the two of them are far more interesting than people are giving credit for.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm giving it an A.

"Moose, you're so negative, are you delusional?"

Maybe.  Maybe your mother.

In the span of 3 weeks they've acquired 15 new players.  There might not be an absolute stud in there, but that's what this team gets for holding onto players for too long and trading them off as rentals.

The top 10 of our franchise prospect list has transformed.  There are some other guys that could step up and make noise.  I am particularly interested in Bannon.

DD announced that they were going to make efforts in the international scouting and signing arena, to which some of us rolled our eyes.  But he's horded a lot of money and it looks like we're going to make a big push for VVM and some others.  If you heard DD on the broadcast last night, he said he loves scouting in South America.  If we can land VVM we are looking really good.  If not, I feel confident that the trades that were made these few weeks will still get us moving in the right direction.

I'm all in, you pikers.  I am excited for this rebuild and I'm happy it's well underway.  

I kind of agree.  How could the Orioles get a top prospect for Kevin Gausman unless they held onto him longer hoping he'll rebuild his value?  Gausman has been way too inconsistent to bring back anything anyone would call a top prospect -- especially from the Braves.  I'm more on the fence about Schoop.  I can see both sides.

I said only C/C+  purely on the basis of my perceived value of the  players that changed teams in the Gausman and Schoop trades. That could increase to A- after we see what they do with the additional international allotment and the money saved by jettisoning some expensive players. I would hope that the latter would be invested to increase  our presence in Latin America.

Archived