Why is Caleb’s Joseph Playing?

baltfan

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

You don’t use the number one overall pick to draft a catcher.  Period.  End of story. 

A perennial all star catcher is worth less than a perennial all star short stop.   I’m not advocating Whitt jr at this point, but the people on the Rutschman bandwagon are not seeing it for what he is. A catcher that can hit that will eventually be your future first baseman. Maybe he will be the next switch hitting Jesus for you guys. I prefer third baseman to be your future first. You end up with a higher value over the course of the career. I am 100% for drafting for the best talent over need(need ss and catcher so that doesn’t matter) but if it is a toss up, I’m going for a premier position first. 

Posey has been pretty valuable.  I know he went #4 but that is because TB didn’t want to pay him to be #1 overall.  We have the SS they took instead. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Huh? Sisco is a rookie  - it’s normal to struggle. Look at Trouts first cup of coffee. I’m sure Joseph is a swell guy, but he has no place on this roster. How is that even debatable?

Joseph absolutely does have a place on this roster because...there's no one else clearly better.  How is that even debatable?  Maybe Wynns is better, but not by a huge amount.  

I hope Sisco gets better but he was useless this year.  Clearly overmatched and not ready. 

8 hours ago, sevastras said:

You don’t use the number one overall pick to draft a catcher.  Period.  End of story. 

Joe Mauer says hi.   Drafted 1:1 and has produced more WAR (54.8) of anyone picked in the first round that year.

Am I saying we should pick the Oregon State guy?     Not necessarily.   Just saying I don’t believe in hard and fast rules like the one you stated.    Yes, you factor in longevity and the likelihood that a catcher will have to change positions in his 30’s.    But that’s just one set of factors to weigh.    

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Joseph absolutely does have a place on this roster because...there's no one else clearly better.  How is that even debatable?  Maybe Wynns is better, but not by a huge amount.  

I hope Sisco gets better but he was useless this year.  Clearly overmatched and not ready. 

Useless but still somehow got on base at a better clip than the veteran. Hmm...

Getting Wynns and Sisco at bats whether they struggle or not is more valuable than anything involving Joseph.

I would hope the main reason Joseph is still on the roster is because they're trying to get Sisco's days on the roster down for future controlability and and I would guess Joseph is playing as much as he is because Buck loves him some veterans. I'm okay with him playing over Wynns because I see Wynn as a back-up/light sight of the platoon catcher anyway so having him play on a somewhat irregular schedule gets him used to that.

Even if there is some logic behind it, I'd rather see Sisco and Wynn in the Majors everyday right now.

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where'd I say I gave up on him?  I was just finding a better way of saying he sucked.  Which he did.  Chance Sisco was not good at baseball for the Orioles in 2018.  You're ripping on Joseph but Sisco was worse in comparison.  What's it say about a young guy like Sisco who's getting outplayed by a veteran like Joseph?

Doesn't mean I don't think he can't get better.  Doesn't mean I want the Orioles to give up on him.  But let's not pretend Sisco got a raw deal or deserves to be here.  Joseph and Wynns are better right now.

Would love to hear your logical reason that's not based on emotion.

As i pointed out in a previous thread, Sisco is not only worse, but his strikeout numbers are among the historical worse all-time with as many plate appearances that he has. And the other players at least had power.

If Sisco is able to make himself into a solid major league hitter, he will have overcome a K rate that puts him in the company of mostly flame outs.

Since being demoted during the All-star break he's slashed 206/.308/.265/.572 in AAA with 2 BB and 7 Ks in 39 PA.

So besides his historical major league K rate, his middling AAA numbers (.266/.343/.402/.745 with 116 K-39BB in 464 PAs), his lack of power, his struggles to hit left-handed pitching , and below average defense behind the plate, I wonder why some people still think he's the future behind the plate in Baltimore?

Can Sisco improve? sure. Hes 23-years old, but the K rate thing is the biggest concern. We're not talking about a guy getting fooled occasionally by higher level pitching, we're seeing a spike in K rate which is a major red flag.

I hope he proves me wrong, but he were eligible, he wouldn't be in my top 20, and maybe top 30 prospects.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

As i pointed out in a previous thread, Sisco is not only worse, but his strikeout numbers are among the historical worse all-time with as many plate appearances that he has. And the other players at least had power.

If Sisco is able to make himself into a solid major league hitter, he will have overcome a K rate that puts him in the company of mostly flame outs.

Since being demoted during the All-star break he's slashed 206/.308/.265/.572 in AAA with 2 BB and 7 Ks in 39 PA.

Yeah, he is really scuffling.   I still think he has a major league future but this has been a really rough year for him and he needs to get his act together at Norfolk before we worry about giving him another opportunity in the majors.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

So besides his historical major league K rate, his middling AAA numbers (.266/.343/.402/.745 with 116 K-39BB in 464 PAs), his lack of power, his struggles to hit left-handed pitching , and below average defense behind the plate, I wonder why some people still think he's the future behind the plate in Baltimore?

Can Sisco improve? sure. Hes 23-years old, but the K rate thing is the biggest concern. We're not talking about a guy getting fooled occasionally by higher level pitching, we're seeing a spike in K rate which is a major red flag.

I hope he proves me wrong, but he were eligible, he wouldn't be in my top 20, and maybe top 30 prospects.

There goes Tony serving up the Kool Aid again.  lol

So we probably need a catcher.  Ok someone write that down.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The obvious argument against this is that it’s a much smaller sample size as compared to his entire minor league history. He hit at the AAA level last year. I think we forget how hard baseball is. Schoop hit.200 for an entire half. I’m still betting on Sisco’s athleticism and track record. At best it’s very premature to say he can’t hit at this level. 

On 8/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There is no reason other than it is Buck’s preference for Joseph to be getting a majority of the starts at catcher. 

Or maybe Bundy likes throwing to him. It’s still important to keep Bundy going as good as possible. I’m sure Joseph is a good tool for the young arms we will be trotting out there. 

Archived