How we feeling?

weams

2 hours ago, LocoChris said:

I still have hope for Harvey, I know many others have given up on him though. 

I haven’t given up hope at all, but at this point I refuse to plan for him being healthy.   If he stays healthy and progresses to the point where he’s ready for the majors, I’ll just consider it an unexpected bonus.   

I feel pretty good.  Since last fall I have been very concerned because the orioles let their GM, Manager, Bull pen Ace, Team Leader and the best player they have had in a generation enter the season with no contract after this year.

Somehow, we have now traded our generational talent and our bull pen ace even though he was seriously injured over the winter.  Of course we still don't have a GM or a manager for next year and our team leader just turned down a trade.  We have also moved one of our young starters and our second baseman and a pretty sizable chunk of our bull pen.  Chris Davis is still 50 points below the Mendoza line and we still may regret trading that Tobias guy for Beckham.

And yet....as I said, I feel pretty good.  But enough about us.  How are you feeling Weams?

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I feel pretty good.  Since last fall I have been very concerned because the orioles let their GM, Manager, Bull pen Ace, Team Leader and the best player they have had in a generation enter the season with no contract after this year.

Somehow, we have now traded our generational talent and our bull pen ace even though he was seriously injured over the winter.  Of course we still don't have a GM or a manager for next year and our team leader just turned down a trade.  We have also moved one of our young starters and our second baseman and a pretty sizable chunk of our bull pen.  Chris Davis is still 50 points below the Mendoza line and we still may regret trading that Tobias guy for Beckham.

And yet....as I said, I feel pretty good.  But enough about us.  How are you feeling Weams?

I was out on the front window ledge ramrodding a clog in the spouting. My shoulder is a little sore and I burned myself a bit on the shingles. But it did not collapse under my weight and the spout runs clear. 

ice-cube-car.jpg

17 minutes ago, weams said:

I was out on the front window ledge ramrodding a clog in the spouting. My shoulder is a little sore and I burned myself a bit on the shingles. But it did not collapse under my weight and the spout runs clear. 

Just had to clear ours.  Remarkable how many pine needles can fall from just two scrub pines.

Here's the piece I'm not feeling so good about. There are about seven weeks left in the season, and I'd like to feel that the time is being used on getting ready for future seasons rather than treated as just the tail end of a lost season. 

I'd like to see Mullins and some others. I'd like to see how Adam Jones does in RF (or LF), with Rickard in center if not Mullins. Wouldn't that be in everyone's interest, including Adam's?

I hope that a decision has been made, or is being made, to be put into effect before or immediately after the World Series, about who will be the GM and manager next year. Those may not be easy decisions (or may be if, for example, Buck has no interest in staying on). But I hope it's being considered and decided now, rather then sitting at the top of a to-do list for the off-season with the prospect of a rudderless ship for a hunk of the off-season. If Duquette is being offered a contract to stay on, why not leak or announce that now and get the venting and expressions of anger and frustration out of the way? 

Dan said some very nice things that involve spending significant amounts of money, including signing international free agents and increasing the team's capacity in scouting and analytics. I recognize that the hoped-for big splash of signing Mesa (I can't read or hear his full name without thinking of Robert Preston) has to wait. But are there other things happening on these fronts that can be reported (other than the fact that other IFAs are being pursued, and the one signing that's been made, which gets reported as a matter of course)? I hope so, and if there are it would be nice to hear about them. 

The Orioles expect to rely, as much as any team that I can think of, on the development of talent that's now or soon will be in their minor league system. Is someone in charge of evaluating what's in place -- organization, consistency, personnel -- in the system for developing that talent, including for example whether what's happened to some pitchers, most notably Arietta, who flourished once they left the Orioles system and whether that can be avoided? It certainly appears that there's been no Oriole Way for some time; different MiL coaches and managers, and roving instructors, appear to have different approaches. Is an approach like the Oriole Way now an anachronism (especially when so many guys come to big-league club with little or no time in the Orioles' system)? Or should a similar consistency be created and put in place, and if so how and by whom? I hope someone is working hard on these kinds of questions right now, and if that's the case I don't know why we can't be told that's happening and who is in charge of the review. 

Even a bland, non-detailed statement from John Angelos, confirming what Duquette said about the Orioles' commitment to spend money in these areas and stating that the team is moving ahead with them now, without waiting for October, would make me feel a little bit better.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just had to clear ours.  Remarkable how many pine needles can fall from just two scrub pines.

Several years ago my wife banned me from getting on our roof, saying I was more valuable alive than dead.    And now the professionals are telling us our roof is getting too slippery and we need to get it power washed.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Several years ago my wife banned me from getting on our roof, saying I was more valuable alive than dead.    And now the professionals are telling us our roof is getting too slippery and we need to get it power washed.

Sounds like your wife had the right idea.

Feeling like...

I was robbed of at least one season of baseball. It’s always been my “if nothing else I can listen to the game” thing in the summer. So I’m bummed if not disappointed that this is how it is right now. I’m curious as to what their 2019 strategy is to fill in the gaps. I’m not sure if this means more Rule 5 signings or what. Thank goodness for ‘12, ‘14, and ‘16 because if this was happening in 2012 I’d probably swear off baseball.

For that reason I’m thinking that I’m really optimistic for Ravens’ season to kick up.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s one of the keys to life. Being more valuable alive than dead. 

Archived