Baltimore Baseball: O's rebuild should include Buck

bobmc

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not if its a team decision to tank and get a better draft choice.   A decision made in mid May by ownership and management.

Since the All Star break, the O's lead the AL in batting average and slugging, and are second in runs and home runs. According to your tanking theory, Buck isn't doing his job.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not if its a team decision to tank and get a better draft choice. A decision made in mid-May by ownership and management.

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Since the All Star break, the O's lead the AL in Batting Average and Slugging Percentage, and are second in Runs and Home Runs.

According to your tanking theory, Buck isn't doing his job.

o

Wow, that's good info.

I knew that the offense had improved as of late (after being nearly dormant for much of the season previously), but I did not know that it was sustained at such a high rate for that long (15 Games.)

o

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty sure one of the trends in baseball is to not leave your best reliever on the bench in a playoff game just because it isn't a save situation.

It was a very brief trend. It just didn't work out, although just a SSS to judge from.

I would readily agree that Buck was adaptable, I'm not sure he still he is. He seems to me less open to suggestions, experiments, using young players, etc. -- and more set in his ways -- than he was a few years ago. If I were the Orioles' President or GM, I would let Buck try to explain what he'd do to contribute to a several-year rebuild, but I'd be very skeptical. 

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Wow.  That is a big declaration by you.

What if Buck was told in late May, early June to lose to position the O's in the draft?

Oh gosh wildcard I would never believe that. Face it the man has lost the club house and playing his favorites. My gosh there is no reason to play Caleb as much as he does and CD plays way too much. 

I think Buck is still one of the best (and best prepared) managers in baseball.

If he wants to stick around for the rebuild, I think we would be lucky to have him.

This team is woefully under-talented and the fact that they are scrapping and playing as well as could be expected is a testament to Buck IMO.  

Agree with Tony above, however, if a new GM, then the GM should choose his guy (which might be Buck).

In general- I’m happy with Buck over whoever’s behind “mystery door #3”. ‘Twas a long, treacherous road between Davey Johnson and Buck...

That said- if a new GM (or DD for that matter) is absolutely insistent on hiring one of “his guys” (with a specific target in mind) then in that case I think we’ll probably need to make the move. I don’t want to dumpster dive in the retread bin just for the heck of it though. We need good, well-respected people here... and Buck still fits that description IMHO.

6 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I think Buck is still one of the best (and best prepared) managers in baseball.

If he wants to stick around for the rebuild, I think we would be lucky to have him.

This team is woefully under-talented and the fact that they are scrapping and playing as well as could be expected is a testament to Buck IMO.  

Agree with Tony above, however, if a new GM, then the GM should choose his guy (which might be Buck).

Buck and his favorites what scares me about him staying. I do agree with Tony that whoever the GM is should pick the manager of his choice. 

I have nothing against Buck....he is probably much more knowledgeable about the game than most managers. How much of that translates into wins, I am not sure. He seems to have appreciated the Orioles' history, been involved in the community...a good citizen. That said, I believe that a rebuild requires a new voice on the field. Buck's record since last September is at historically low levels.

Archived