Orioles set record for futility, will Buck survive?

Tony-OH

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can't imagine he's back.  I'd be floored.  And disappointed.  I love Buck, the Britton failure aside.  For me, he represents the turnaround this franchise needed after the 1998-2011 dreck.

But it's time for some fresh air.

Agreed. Buck led us out of the "dreck" but unfortunately was at the helm as we went back in.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see how. He probably wouldn't be by a smart run organization. But the O's? I won't be surprised if Buck is back. But I will be very very disappointed if he's back. Just hope John and Lou are smarter and don't listen to Brady. If I had my way there'd be a total turnover in the O's FO. I'd keep DD.

42 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't see how. He probably wouldn't be by a smart run organization. But the O's? I won't be surprised if Buck is back. But I will be very very disappointed if he's back. Just hope John and Lou are smarter and don't listen to Brady. If I had my way there'd be a total turnover in the O's FO. I'd keep DD.

42 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think Buck would know better than to try and bring back Davis or Jones to more than a 1 year deal. He has sentimental favorites like any manager will when they're with the same team for 7.5 years. I dont think its a problem if he wants to return as long as he knows his role is limited in the FO. 

32 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The Orioles have clinched a losing record on Aug 11. That must be some kind of record as well.

In 1988, it took until game #124 on August 22nd to reach 82 losses.  They won the next two games to reach 44-82.  2018 needs to win the next 9 straight to match that.  In short, everything about this season is a record for futility.

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

In 1988, it took until game #124 on August 22nd to reach 82 losses.  They won the next two games to reach 44-82.  2018 needs to win the next 9 straight to match that.  In short, everything about this season is a record for losing.

I didn't know that. They are quite off the pace of the 1988 team.

16 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I didn't know that. They are quite off the pace of the 1988 team.

Yep, I started tracking this in detail back in May.  1988 and 2018 were tied at 19-50.  Since game #79, 1988 has not lost the lead.

Were there signs back then that 1988 could happen?  Well, just like the 7-21 mark from September on in 2017, 1987 ended on a 7-24 run.

September 1987-October 1988 61-131 (.318).
September 2017-Present 42-103 (.311)

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

To answer the question about whether a manager had ever experienced this kind of futility and been brought back: Allen Trammell’s Tigers went 43-119 and he was brought back.   In fact, he managed for two more losing seasons.

Different situation, but Casey Stengel presided over a team that won 40, 51 and 53 games and was brought back for a fourth season.   

Also, I hope the OP is not implying that Buck’s decision not to bring Britton into the wild card game has anything to do with the team’s losing record since then.    The 2017 team started off great, slumped to below .500, clawed their way back into the race and ultimately fell apart in September.   The 2016 playoffs had nothing to do with it.    

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also, I hope the OP is not implying that Buck’s decision not to bring Britton into the wild card game has anything to do with the team’s losing record since then.    The 2017 team started off great, slumped to below .500, clawed their way back into the race and ultimately fell apart in September.   The 2016 playoffs had nothing to do with it.    

There are those who claim that the Britton decision was when Buck "lost the clubhouse."  2017 started off 15-8 in April against a tough schedule.  The team had only one winning month (August), the rest of the way.  From June-August, 36-46 (.439).  A .360 July is the high water mark of this season.

Archived