Brady Anderson's feat has been equaled

SteveA

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

One great season and two really good seasons. It does look like he’s over hyped. I don’t think he’s the player that sports media seems to think he is. 

We’ll see what the market thinks.   He’s shown what he’s capable of, but he’s also shown that he’s injury prone and that his performance is volatile.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We’ll see what the market thinks.   He’s shown what he’s capable of, but he’s also shown that he’s injury prone and that his performance is volatile.  

It will be very interesting to watch his FA play out. And I think my previous post made it sound like I'm lower on Harper than I am. I didn't mean to sound super negative. He still has a 130 ERA+ this year. His offensive stats all look really good except the batting average. Baseball reference scores his dWAR as -1.9 this year. I haven't watched many Nats games this year so I don't know what he looks like in the field. I wonder if being banged up has affected his range, etc. 

46 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

It will be very interesting to watch his FA play out. And I think my previous post made it sound like I'm lower on Harper than I am. I didn't mean to sound super negative.   He still has a 130 ERA+ this year. . His offensive stats all look really good except the batting average. Baseball reference scores his dWAR as -1.9 this year. I haven't watched many Nats games this year so I don't know what he looks like in the field. I wonder if being banged up has affected his range, etc. 

Wow, he pitches too?   ?

2 hours ago, esmd said:

Harper is living off of one great season.

He's got a 139 career OPS+, and he's good enough defensively that the Nats play him a lot at CF - when playing with Adam Eaton.  And even last season, he was 12th in MVP voting.  It's pretty clear, he's an outstanding player - when healthy.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He's got a 139 career OPS+, and he's good enough defensively that the Nats play him a lot at CF - when playing with Adam Eaton.  It's pretty clear, he's an outstanding player - when healthy.  

As Frobby said, "he’s also shown that he’s injury prone and that his performance is volatile."  All the talent in the world doesn't matter if you can't consistently produce to that talent level due to injury and/or dramatic swings in production.

3 minutes ago, esmd said:

As Frobby said, "he’s also shown that he’s injury prone and that his performance is volatile."  All the talent in the world doesn't matter if you can't consistently produce to that talent level due to injury and/or dramatic swings in production.

Are you really saying he hasn't produced?  He's 25 years old, with 179 regular season homers, 546 walks, 1,622 total bases, won and MVP award and was 12th last season.  This will likely be the 3rd out of last 4 seasons that he'll play at least 147 games, so he could very well out-grow the injury-prone label.  The kid has a good chance of ending up in the HOF.    

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He's got a 139 career OPS+, and he's good enough defensively that the Nats play him a lot at CF - when playing with Adam Eaton.  And even last season, he was 12th in MVP voting.  It's pretty clear, he's an outstanding player - when healthy.  

Nobody should complain about 28.7 rWAR in 6+ seasons.   

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Are you really saying he hasn't produced?  He's 25 years old, with 179 regular season homers, 546 walks, 1,622 total bases, won and MVP award and was 12th last season.  This will likely be the 3rd out of last 4 seasons that he'll play at least 147 games, so he could very well out-grow the injury-prone label.  The kid has a good chance of ending up in the HOF.    

I’d agree with all that.    But I think a lot of people were expecting him to produce a long string of seasons like he had in 2015.   In other words, they expected him to be Trout, before they knew that Trout was Trout.

3 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Harry Hooper reference.  :new_beer:

Hooper-Harry-12.21.2017.jpg

Doing that in 1913 was quite the feat!

How so?  No fences right or at least huge outfields?  I am surprised more guys haven't done it actually.  I'm not discounting the feat, however.

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

How so?  No fences right or at least huge outfields?  I am surprised more guys haven't done it actually.  I'm not discounting the feat, however.

I’m pretty sure all the AL stadiums had fences.  Even the Browns’ stadium ?

5 hours ago, joelala said:

Schweet, thanks.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Trout is like, kind of on pace to be the greatest player ever, isn't he?

He currently has the second highest OPS+ for a RH batter behind Rogers Hornsby, and is 6th overall, behind Ruth, Ted, Gehrig, Bonds, and Hornsby.

Assuming he doesn't get hurt, I sort of expect that he'll pull off 1 or 2 all-time monstrous seasons (like, OPS in the 1.2-1.4 range) before he hits his decline phase.  That would certainly put him in the top 20 or so all-time.  It's tough to predict though because injuries.  Griffey was one of the most reliable and durable players, until he wasn't.  Of course even if he goes Griffey's route and falls off a table at 31-32, he's still a first ballot HOFer.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’d agree with all that.    But I think a lot of people were expecting him to produce a long string of seasons like he had in 2015.   In other words, they expected him to be Trout, before they knew that Trout was Trout.

And people need to keep perspective on just how good Trout is - He could end up going down as one of the top handful of players that EVER played.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Not at all, just that he hasn't produced to the level that Boras will proclaim he has and demand he be paid at, and for the length he's going to demand of the deal.  I think someone that gives him a 8-10 year deal at $28-$30M per year (or more), is taking on a large amount of risk based on his performance swings and potential injury.  He'll be 26 next season, and he may have already peaked, or is at his peak, and it's a matter of how long before he starts to decline.  Is he a guy that can play well into his mid-30's and deliver on that type of mega-deal?  Questionable, IMO.

Archived