2019+ Positional Review Series: 3B

Greg Pappas

In this thread series, I’m seeking to review our organization. It’s my hope that we can generate a lot of discussion about where we stand currently, and what the future may hold-- position-by-position.  Regarding minor leaguers, I’d like to keep the focus on players that are our better prospects, as well as those that have a reasonable chance to contribute at the major league level for years to come.  If I miss a player that you feel should be featured, please note it.  Also, if ANYONE wants to work on the remaining series thread (Starters) please shoot me a message. I'd be happy to get any help.;) Thanks. Lastly, I'll list each 'position' below and add links as they're completed.

2019+ Positional Review Series: Catcher
2019+ Positional Review Series: 1B/DH
2019+ Positional Review Series: 2B
2019+ Positional Review Series: SS
2019+ Positional Review Series: 3B
2019+ Positional Review Series: Outfielders / Nice write-ups from @Legend_Of_Joey 
2019+ Positional Review Series: Starters
2019+ Positional Review Series: Relievers @Thato'sfan created this /

Let's get started on 3B.

MLB:

Minors:

My initial thoughts (limited as they are) are that Nunez is a place holder for a better talent, like Mountcastle.  At 24, Nunez is still fairly young and may yet develop into a serviceable 3B, but odds are that he'll be pushed out as soon as one of the 3B prospects are ready. 

Most believe that Mountcastle will be able to hit when he is called up, but there remain questions about what position he'll settle into.  His defense at third has been said to have improved, but will it be good enough to hold down the hot corner?  Time will tell.  If he doesn't factor into third base long term, he may find a home at 1B, LF, or even DH (worst case). This year at AA Bowie he's had 65 K's and 25 BB's to go along with a slash of .304/.354/.491/.845 . He's also has 12 HR's and 17 2B's. 

Luke likes Bannon and he has a shot to factor in at 2B or 3B at some point, though there remains questions about his bat.  Bannon has good pop, but will need to keep a solid average and OBP as he moves up. He has struggled thus far in his promotion to AA, but it's a small sample size and we shouldn't read too much into that. 

Jomar Reyes seems like he's been a prospect forever, but he's still just 21-years old.  I debated whether to feature him here, but decided that it can't hurt as he still shows flashes of what could be a very good player.  However, out of the four minor leaguers, he seems to have the longest odds of making it.

Encarnacion was considered the biggest prize in the oft-ridiculed Gausman trade to the Braves, but he's just 20-years old and fairly raw, both offensively and defensively. He should be able to stick at third, as he has the arm, athleticism and  actions to not only handle the position, but perhaps be a plus defender down the road.  At the plate he's a bit of a free swinger, but has good power and hits the ball hard when he's not striking out. Like many young players, he K's too often and walks far less than preferred. This year his combined stats at Rome and Delmarva show 114 K's and only 14 BB's.  He's hitting .289/.313/.466/.779 with 12 HR's and 25 2B's.  Encarnacion is one to dream on, but then again, may never develop. 

... Guys like Drew Dosch seem like AAA/AAAA types, so I didn't add them.

Overall, I'm of the opinion that we have a fair number of options at the minor league level,  though much of our hopes should reside in the defensive development of Ryan Mountcastle.  If Mountcastle can hold down the job at 3B, odds are he'll oust Nunez as soon as some point next season. What does the future hold?  The crystal baseball is partly cloudy. Thoughts?

We could potentially be loaded at 3B if players can improve their defense. That’s a big if though. Nunez would have a lot more value to us if we didn’t have Davis and Trumbo on the roster. We usually don’t have positional prospects like Bannon and Encarnacion so it’s refreshing to follow them. 

3B is all about Mountcastle though and if he can stick. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We could potentially be loaded at 3B if players can improve their defense. That’s a big if though. Nunez would have a lot more value to us if we didn’t have Davis and Trumbo on the roster. We usually don’t have positional prospects like Bannon and Encarnacion so it’s refreshing to follow them. 

3B is all about Mountcastle though and if he can stick. 

I’m really dubious that a team that starts Mountcastle at 3B can be a very good team.    I guess the 2007 Diamondbacks won 90 games with Mark Reynolds at 3B for 2/3 of a season, but I think defense on the left side of the infield is pretty important.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:30 PM, Frobby said:

I’m really dubious that a team that starts Mountcastle at 3B can be a very good team.    I guess the 2007 Diamondbacks won 90 games with Mark Reynolds at 3B for 2/3 of a season, but I think defense on the left side of the infield is pretty important.

I agree that Mountcastle's defense at third has been noted essentially as a work-in-progress. I also feel he'll be given more time to show whether or not he's destined to stick at 3B or move to either 1B or LF.  My gut tells me we're going to see Ryan manning 1B for us by 2020.  Time, as always, will tell.

Third base is a position of need for the Orioles with Encarnacion as the only legitimate potential starting 3B prospect.

Mountcastle just will never be able to play the position well enough to be a good major league option there though his bat will play in the majors. that bat of course has the biggest upside of any Orioles prospect so he's going to play somewhere (1B/LF?).

Nunez flashes some potential, but unless he can learn to lay off the down and away slider, that hole is going to be continually exploited by major league pitchers and his defense is shaky at best, though he does have a strong arm and some ability to move side to side and in effectively. I'd be willing to give Nunez 2019 to prove he's a major leaguer or not.

I'm intrigued by him and although he's had some ugly games both offensively and defensively, he's shown the ability to bounce back from those games and have some good ones. 

Bannon has been an unmitigated disaster at Bowie offensively so I don't want to grade him too hard. Either way, he seems to have the game to play second base and that is probably his main future. Sure would be nice to see him start to a hit little (he did have a nice game last night).

Reyes is a non-prospect for me at 3B. He can't generate his raw power into game power and defensively has that cannon arm, but he's an error machine and is only going to keep getting bigger so his slightly below average range is only going to get worse. If I'm the Orioles, I'm putting him on the mound at instructional league and see what he looks like. The arm is special.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Third base is a position of need for the Orioles with Encarnacion as the only legitimate potential starting 3B prospect.

Mountcastle just will never be able to play the position well enough to be a good major league option there though his bat will play in the majors. that bat of course has the biggest upside of any Orioles prospect so he's going to play somewhere (1B/LF?).

Nunez flashes some potential, but unless he can learn to lay off the down and away slider, that hole is going to be continually exploited by major league pitchers and his defense is shaky at best, though he does have a strong arm and some ability to move side to side and in effectively. I'd be willing to give Nunez 2019 to prove he's a major leaguer or not.

I'm intrigued by him and although he's had some ugly games both offensively and defensively, he's shown the ability to bounce back from those games and have some good ones. 

Bannon has been an unmitigated disaster at Bowie offensively so I don't want to grade him too hard. Either way, he seems to have the game to play second base and that is probably his main future. Sure would be nice to see him start to a hit little (he did have a nice game last night).

Reyes is a non-prospect for me at 3B. He can't generate his raw power into game power and defensively has that cannon arm, but he's an error machine and is only going to keep getting bigger so his slightly below average range is only going to get worse. If I'm the Orioles, I'm putting him on the mound at instructional league and see what he looks like. The arm is special.

Great write-up Tony, thanks. It's good to get an educated take on Mountcastle's defense at third, and I really like the suggestion of trying Reyes on the mound. It's worked for plenty of position players before, including Givens.

And great thread series idea.  3rd base is probably the biggest dilemma for the O's - outside of pitching.  I don't think they even have a place-holder, because Nunez - from what I've seen - is so bad defensively that even if he gives you a 100 OPS+, he's not adequate.  With the young pitching staff we'll presumbaly have, it's not fair to them to go with a poor infield.  A player who hasn't been mentioned - Steve Wilkerson - might actually make the most sense as a place-holder - since he's an athletic defender with good instincts.  In the few games he played in Baltimore, he showed some spectacular range.  And he's hit pretty well in AAA this year.  If Mountcastle isn't the long-term answer, then I don't think the long-term answer is in the organization.  Encarnacion is toolsy and looks the part, but his SO rate makes me think he's doubtful.  And I've given up on Reyes.  If Banon turns things around, I think his value is at 2B; not 3B.  

So, I'm playing Wilkerson there next season, maybe find a platoon partner to alternate with him, and hope the organization acquires its 3Bman of the future.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nunez showed flashes of defense today.  This offseason will be huge for him. He’s holding it down offensively with us, .770 OPS in 100 PA. 

I heard Buck talking in an interview on how Nunez is taking well to the infield coach and making real progress. Buck said they would have liked to have him at 18. With that said he has a desire to get better and is showing improvement. It looks like his bat will definitely play. 

I say leave him there until at least the middle of next season and track his progress. Let him play fall and winter ball to give him more reps.

Archived