I am 110% behind rebuild but I’d love to have Schoop back!

Rene88

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are more likely to reduce the payroll than add. I could see Villar, Cobb, Cashner and others dealt in the off season. If Schoop stinks the rest of the year and can be had for very little in the off-season then MAYBE we bring him back as a reclamation project but I doubt it. Even if we did it would be to rebuild value and trade him again. We need to have the best farm system in baseball before we start adding salary. At this point I agree with Frobby we fleeced them with Villar IMO being a better player by himself and we have him for an extra year. More OBP, better athlete, switch hitter, stolen base threat, table setter (Which we desperately needed)

Honestly, I don't miss him too much.  And I loved him.  But the all or nothing approach, low OBP...I dunno, I just don't miss it.  Plus I think he's got a body that's not going to age well.

For me the jury is still out on Villar but he's faster, more athletic and we definitely need that.  So much has been written about how baseball has become a boring, lumbering game with nothing but homers.  I see a return to speed and defense to combat that, perhaps those are the new undervalued commodities in a 2018 moneyball scenario.  I'm thrilled that Mullins is a speed guy, so is Villar. 

If we got Schoop back on the super cheap I'd be pretty happy I guess, but only from a sentimental perspective.  

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

In my opinion, and thats all this is on this entire website....when the smoke clears Schoop is a much better player than Villar and the prospects we got will have little or no impact on the Orioles. Again, just my opinion.

I respect your opinion sir, and hope, for the Orioles sake, that you are incorrect in this instance.

I personally am excited about Carmona’s potential, but he’s still a looooong way away. 

I see no point in getting Schoop back before he hits free agency .

Whether there might be a fit in 2020 (he'll be 28) would depend, IMO, on (1) whether the gap at third base has been filled  by Mountcastle or otherwise and (2) if not, whether Schoop can hold down third base.

I was as high on Jonathan as anybody, but he is very streaky.  It makes little sense to me to bring him back.  If he comes back and plays well next year, he will be flipped again for a bit of return, but he is not somebody that is going to be affordable for us next year or in free agency if he plays well.   Best to move on.  Rebuilding is not going back to the same players. 

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

In my opinion, and thats all this is on this entire website....when the smoke clears Schoop is a much better player than Villar and the prospects we got will have little or no impact on the Orioles. Again, just my opinion.

He can't show he's better than Villar from the bench. And that's where Schoop will be the rest of the year if he stays in Milwaukee. And I think the outlook for the prospects is wrong too. Ortiz at worst should contribute out of the BP. 

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I don't agree with this, at all. Just because the prospects aren't "huge names" doesn't mean they won't have an impact. You keep saying we got fleeced in the deal, but we weren't.

Schoop, has been on the bench, more than the field, since the trade. 

Villar, not only has out performed Schoop, since the trade, he has also provided a spark and energy.

We'll look back in a couple years and see this was a very good trade. Just my opinion.

A Brewers site and their take on the deal

“Schoop was dealt for prospects Jean Carmona and Luis Ortiz, and Jonathan Villar. It’s unlikely that the Milwaukee Brewers would land two top 30 prospects and a talent off a Major League roster in exchange for Schoop if he continues to look as rough as he has.

The trade for Schoop is already looking like a bust. Dealing Schoop for 10 cents-on-the-dollar in the off season isn’t going to make the move look better. The fact that this report came from a Baltimore guy indicates that the source is likely someone connected to Schoop. This is probably just wishful thinking from a struggling player or a struggling player’s agent. It makes the most sense to keep Schoop through 2019. The Milwaukee Brewers could still flip him at the deadline, and have second base figured out until Mauricio Dubon is ready to make his debut.”  

Archived