Joey back to AAA

weams

10 hours ago, jtschrei said:

I'd be pissed if I was Rickard. 

I can see why you would think that and honestly he should be on the team over Gentry, but really, does it matter? Both him and Gentry are up/down 5th outfielders. If you shake a minor league AAA tree six of those guys will fall out and can do what they do. He should be happy that that he's got as much big league time that he has with the Orioles.

59 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A guy hitting .227 has not right to be pissed.  If he wants to play more, play better.    He should be glad he is probably coming back in Sept.

You're right. I'm just saying. If I was a young guy on a team that had no chance of winning, I'd be wondering why the heck Gentry was on the team and why I wasn't being given a chance to show what I can do. 

9 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

You're right. I'm just saying. If I was a young guy on a team that had no chance of winning, I'd be wondering why the heck Gentry was on the team and why I wasn't being given a chance to show what I can do. 

He's been given plenty of chances and the team knows what he can do.  He is an extremely marginal outfielder that is average to below average in everything he does.  He's lucky he will be getting a pension. I wouldn't be pissed if I were him, no reason to be. 

6 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

He's been given plenty of chances and the team knows what he can do.  He is an extremely marginal outfielder that is average to below average in everything he does.  He's lucky he will be getting a pension. I wouldn't be pissed if I were him, no reason to be. 

He’ll probably be back in two weeks and will lose no service time as a result of his short demotion.   If so, he really has nothing to complain about.  

24 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

If Rickard was hitting .300 then Gentry would probably be gone.   Rickard did not beat him out of his spot.   They are paying Gentry 900k a year.  If they are going to DFA him it should be for someone that has shown to be a upgrade or a prospect they need to see what he can do in the major. They know what Rickard can do and  he has not preformed better than Gentry.

2 hours ago, jtschrei said:

You seem to not recognize the aura of "veteranosity" that Gentry possesses and which Joey will some day hope to surround himself with for the "lowly" O's down the road.  It's a nice education for the "youngster".  ⚾

Rickard to me is just about the textbook definition of the replacement level outfielder.    He has slightly more pop than Gentry, his OBP skills are not as good, and I consider Gentry the better baserunner and defender (though Rickard’s not bad in either regard). I imagine Duquette would like to deal Gentry just before Sept. 1 to some team that could use his skills once rosters expand.    We’ll see if he’s able to get some minor prospect for him.    

Archived