Thoughts on McCutchen in the rebuild?

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ will have a no trade clause still if he comes back, McCutchen won't.  If it's a one year 8-10M deal, bring him in and hope he does his best Nelson Cruz impression and gets the O's two more prospects at the deadline. 

The "crowded" OF should stay crowded at AAA until they force themselves on to the MLB roster, not because of a lack of major league talent. No need to run out of service time or pre-arbitration time earlier than needed.

Don't waste money on veterans unless there's a dire need due to a dearth of talent in the minors for those positions. Especially don't waste money on veterans that are going to make too much for a rebuilding team. If you acquire veterans, they should be low cost during this time.

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Don't waste money on veterans unless there's a dire need due to a dearth of talent in the minors for those positions. Especially don't waste money on veterans that are going to make too much for a rebuilding team. If you acquire veterans, they should be low cost during this time.

Make good deals that can be flipped if the player rebounds. 

Just now, weams said:

Make good deals that can be flipped if the player rebounds. 

I dont disagree with your thought, about making good deals, and flip them,.

But, this team needs to find youth and players, so having vets, only clog the positions, not like having a vet or two, will do much to the overall record.

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

But, this team needs to find youth and players, so having vets, only clog the positions, not like having a vet or two, will do much to the overall record.

I mostly think pitchers on make goods. Really, one year milb and split contract deals. 

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I generally agree on position players.

But starting pitchers with a club dearth of starting pitching talent has a detrimental effect on the entire pitching staff when they implode. That's why you generally need some innings eaters (re: veterans) instead of leaving the young kids for their arms to fall off when they ultimately stink up the joint.

7 hours ago, Chromehill said:

Welcome to the post PED world.  What has apparently happened to McCutchen has happened numerous times in baseball history.  Very good player, with HOF potential gets to his early 30's and just suddenly falls off a cliff to an average player, sometimes not even that.  Maybe McCutchen bounces back next year or maybe guys like Boog Powell, Roger Maris and Rocky Colavito are all waiving high to him (all of them with another 3 to 4 good years are probably HOF worthy, at least in the discussion, instead now hall of very good). 

Another reason why the Chris Davis contract was dumb, or any contract big money contract that extends past a players age of 32 or 33.  Baseball history does not support it. 

As dumb as Davis' contract was, there isn't a person on the earth that would have predicted that he would become a Rookie-ball-level player by year 3 of his contract.

Archived