Thoughts on McCutchen in the rebuild?

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re loaded with OFs. Mullins is up. We have to play Mancini out of position in LF until Trumbo/Davis are gone. It’s time to see what Stewart can do. Hays is back to raking after an injury plagued year. Diaz is really hitting in AA too. Even Rickard is having his highest OPS of his career. McKenna will have a lot of AA PAs under his belt at season’s end  

We have a bunch of OFs that we need to find out if they can play in the near future. As far as veteran presence, even though Davis is terrible, he’s still a decent dude. Plus we have Trumbo, Joseph, Cobb, Cashner, Givens, and Bundy here next year. 

If they can move Trumbo in the offseason - that opens up the door for a Jones return. Davis could DH and Mancini could play 1B. While the Orioles have stated they need to cut payroll - they still do need to sell some tickets. Adam Jones is far more appealing to a casual fan than Mark Trumbo.

But, I doubt it happens.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Maybe we can get BJ Surhoff for 2/20?  

2 rules for a rebuild:  

1.  Don't spend significant money signing old guys.

2.  Don't spend significant money signing old guys.  

Let's put this I  perspective.  3+ year deals, no way.  But if you can sign veterans who can turn into trade chips then you do that during a rebuild.  Detroit got something for Fiers.  Tampa has flipped countless veteran signings.

You can't just hope the rebuild is successful solely through your own minor leagues.

I don't see a point in Cutch at all.  I expect the O's will make an offer to Jones with the understanding that he's a corner OF now and will not be playing in 150 games.  I think they will want the fans to recognize someone's name on the back of the jersey that isn't CD.  I hope it's for a fairly low sum of money, and I hope that Jones doesn't take it. 

I don't want him or AJ on the team next near.  Pretty similar players, IMO, and neither fit on a rebuilding team that will probably lose 90-100 games.  Play the kids, see which ones sink and which ones swim.  All AJ or McCutcheon do is block a position.

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If there's no room for Jones in the future, there's no room for Cutch.

I like Cutch a lot, too.  Hard to believe he's only 31.  But I don't think he's got much left in the tank.

Exactly.  McCutchen has an overall better career than Jones, but this season they are interchangeable.  Let's see what Mullins can do.

I'll be the devil's advocate for here.  Of course going in it's got to be a given the terms of the contract will be surprisingly reasonable ala Cruz before spring training (i.e., no better team really wants him).

We have an OF opening next Opening Day, if as I'm hoping Mancini is DH (or 1B if something happens with Davis quicker than is likely), and Trumbo gets RF (a bargain with the devil so he can hit and maybe get traded mid-year).

Given the demolition, I don't see much point to breaking any of Diaz or Hays in before Super Two.  Everyone else is kind of a non-entity, except maybe DJ Stewart, who I think at this point I'd be happy if he could have Joe Orsulak's career.

The Camden teaser with McCutchen is he's a good eye, Hall of Very Good right-handed hitter who has spent his entire career in parks that suppress RH power.  There could be surprising power goodies if he comes here and starts to harvest (i.e., trade some AVG for trying to kill the ball, a not uncommon old player tactic) successfully, and hence some value as a trade chip when Mullins's 2019 counterpart is ready. 

He hasn't been that great in two of the past three seasons. In decline mode. Will still get 10ish million per due to name recognition and OBP still being there.

Having said that, signing a few cheap vets (definitely an RP arm) with the intent of flipping them at the deadline makes sense.

29 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Exactly.  McCutchen has an overall better career than Jones, but this season they are interchangeable.  Let's see what Mullins can do.

Hays too if he keeps it up.  Diaz next year.  We have the potential to have a pretty crowded outfield.  Don't need anyone who's old.

Only way I take AJ back is on a one-year deal if we're not sure one of the younger outfielders is ready for RF next year.  Hays might be ready early in 2019.  McKenna and Diaz likely need some more time in the minors.  Stewart has been a disappointment this year, in my mind anyway. 

In 2020, with only three years left on his contract, we may finally be ready to waive Davis and Trumbo's deal will be up.  Mancini can go to 1B, Mountcastle should be ready for 3B, LF or DH.  Diaz or McKenna should be ready for a corner OF spot.  Stewart may rebound between now and then.  So, AJ as a place keeper for one year, fine.  Any more than that, no way.

I like Cutch and I think there is a place for a veteran presence on the team. I think the people-aspect of the game is real and important. I get what you're going for here and I'm on board, but as others have said, if there's no room for Jones, there's no room for McCutchen. I think the best option for that veteran presence would be in a position of need, somewhere we don't have young guys ready to get a chance. In the OF, we have Mullins already here and Diaz, Hays, Stewart, Mancini (if they keep him in LF next year) and others.

I'd consider bringing Jones back given what he's meant to this team over the years, but if Jones walks, I look to fill that veteran-hole with someone at 2B, SS, 3B or C.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Let's put this I  perspective.  3+ year deals, no way.  But if you can sign veterans who can turn into trade chips then you do that during a rebuild.  Detroit got something for Fiers.  Tampa has flipped countless veteran signings.

You can't just hope the rebuild is successful solely through your own minor leagues.

That's fair - though you better be real smart about it and have a working crystal ball that'll tell you who will increase in value.  .  

I believe in the "veteran presence" thing, though I think its role sometimes is exaggerated, when a young team is contending for a post-season spot for the first time. Lots of people say it's helpful for a young team to have in the clubhouse and on the field a couple of highly respected guys who have been through that before, and I can see the logic of that even though I've never seen anyone try to prove it.

The Orioles have no need for that kind of veteran presence. The "veteran presence" they need, and should be looking for and hiring, is experienced and effective managers, coaches, instructors and scouts. I don't know how you find those guys and hire them away from other teams, but I assume paying them more will help. That's one way I'd be spending some of the money saved by having a payroll with as few high-salary veterans as possible.

Archived