Thoughts on McCutchen in the rebuild?

MemorialStadKid

Andrew McCutchen’s time with the San Francisco Giants might be coming to an end soon. The 31-year-old outfielder was reportedly placed on revocable waivers, according to The Athletic’s Andrew Baggarly, and he could be on the move soon.

McCutchen has hit .257/.354/.417 over 528 plate appearances. He’s set to be a free-agent at the end of the season and is making a little under $15 million in 2018.

SOURCE: https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-mccutchen-reportedly-placed-waivers-lead-trade-020016780.html

Would anyone want him on the team for a veteran presence if AJ is leaving? 

Thoughts? 

MSK

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sad his career didn’t turn out better, Allstar to HOF trajectory. He should go fill out a competing team or work on getting back to his AS self. There really isn’t a place for him on the Os. If you think about it, over the next couple of years the OF (on paper) is looking to be their strong suit. 

We’re loaded with OFs. Mullins is up. We have to play Mancini out of position in LF until Trumbo/Davis are gone. It’s time to see what Stewart can do. Hays is back to raking after an injury plagued year. Diaz is really hitting in AA too. Even Rickard is having his highest OPS of his career. McKenna will have a lot of AA PAs under his belt at season’s end  

We have a bunch of OFs that we need to find out if they can play in the near future. As far as veteran presence, even though Davis is terrible, he’s still a decent dude. Plus we have Trumbo, Joseph, Cobb, Cashner, Givens, and Bundy here next year. 

6 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

SOURCE: https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-mccutchen-reportedly-placed-waivers-lead-trade-020016780.html

Thoughts? 

MSK

I think we need to address the reality of only signing players at league minimum for the next two seasons. I don't see a reason to insult Andrew. Players acquired at this point need to be MLB ready in 2021 and of limited expense until then. Those are my thoughts. 

49 minutes ago, weams said:

I think we need to address the reality of only signing players at league minimum for the next two seasons. I don't see a reason to insult Andrew. Players acquired at this point need to be MLB ready in 2021 and of limited expense until then. Those are my thoughts. 

Maybe a non tendered IF or SP if a player is looking to rebuild their value. But spending money after we just dumped Gausman to dump O’day wouldn’t make any sense at this point. 

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

I am pretty sad his career didn’t turn out better, Allstar to HOF trajectory. He should go fill out a competing team or work on getting back to his AS self. There really isn’t a place for him on the Os. If you think about it, over the next couple of years the OF (on paper) is looking to be their strong suit. 

Welcome to the post PED world.  What has apparently happened to McCutchen has happened numerous times in baseball history.  Very good player, with HOF potential gets to his early 30's and just suddenly falls off a cliff to an average player, sometimes not even that.  Maybe McCutchen bounces back next year or maybe guys like Boog Powell, Roger Maris and Rocky Colavito are all waiving high to him (all of them with another 3 to 4 good years are probably HOF worthy, at least in the discussion, instead now hall of very good). 

Another reason why the Chris Davis contract was dumb, or any contract big money contract that extends past a players age of 32 or 33.  Baseball history does not support it. 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If there's no room for Jones in the future, there's no room for Cutch.

I like Cutch a lot, too.  Hard to believe he's only 31.  But I don't think he's got much left in the tank.

I honesty thought the same with Cakes, figured he had 1, maybe 2 good years left in him, and just another point in time, when i was wrong.

I think you are right, good player, just not sure what he has left.

So we substitute one outfielder with an eroding skill set for another who while at one time in his respective career was superior to the aforementioned outfielder we already have, also now has an eroding skill set and has been degrading in quality for some time.  Not to mention, veteran presence is such a 2002-2011 Orioles phrase that I'm honestly starting to have terrible flashbacks.  Marty Cordova, Jeff Conine part II, Miguel Tejada part II, Kevin Millar, a lot of these types of moves while short term investments were sold on the idea of having a veteran presence around a supposedly rebuilding team.  Provided there aren't any moves, guys like Cashner, Cobb, Givens, and others already fill that bill.  If McCutchen, Jones, or anyone for that matter aren't a legitimate upgrade in terms of offense or defense, intangibles aren't going to make a whole lot of difference.

8 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

Thoughts? 

MSK

He and Jones will be competing for free agent work..and it will be even sparser for them to find as a result...I would not be surprised to see Jones on a pillow deal with us, but only if it is a steal for us,  Otherwise, nope.  We can finish last just fine for the next two years without a “veteran presence.”    We need to furiously be turning over young players, seperating wheat from chaff and any veteran will just be an obstacle, except maybe at backup catcher. 

Archived