Is there a roster move coming today? (8/31 Edition)

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Again, Joel Sherman, who probably knows more about what's going on than you and me, tweeted that this was surprising.  He probably wouldn't be surprised if it happened the way you describe it, but we'll see. I doubt anything actually happens, but good on the Orioles for potentially trying to add future contributors to their team.

The Orioles haven't done this before under DD because they were never the worst team in the league before this.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

People tend to forget how much Duquette was able to find when he was completely in charge of finding talent for the team. They tend to forget how much say Buck has in his 25-man roster. Hell, it's taken a three game sweep for some people to start thinking this team is on to something. lol 

I can’t say I fall anywhere in the category of someone who forgot.  I am not convinced Dan actually has full roster control. Even so can he flip bounce back candidates for talent? My comment was directed at the O’s org in this current rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seems pretty pointless.

Gentry was our leading WAR getter among current postion players. Now Villar is the leader with 0.8 WAR in his short time here.  Can't we expand rosters tomorrow?  Why would we DFA Gentry? 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seems pretty pointless.

Funnily enough, per Baseball Reference, Gentry was the Orioles' WAR leader among position players who are still with the club (1.1).

That distinction now belongs to Jonathan Villar, who has 0.8 WAR in 26 games.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Gentry was our leading WAR getter among current postion players. Now Villar is the leader with 0.8 WAR in his short time here.  Can't we expand rosters tomorrow?  Why would we DFA Gentry? 

You beat me to it by a minute.

As for why they would DFA Gentry, he doesn't have a future with the team and now they have a free 40-man spot. Maybe wildcard's dream of calling up 17 players in September is coming true. :)

Posters here are talking about Rickard or Andreoli as 5th OF options.  I'm calling a ST competition between Rickard and Andreoli for opening day RF.  Hopefully to be replaced in May by either Hays or Diaz.  I usually have delusions that the O's are going to sign major free agents.  I have no such delusions this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if the O's major free agent signing  is Flaherty.

Archived