DJ Stewart and Carroll are called up

eddie83

9 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm warming up to him.

He had his issues in the minors and I wasn't that impressed with a first rounder. But his hitting looks to be picking up steam. I want to see more of him in the field, which is seems like Buck is avoiding a bit.

DJ Stewart has never been about impact upside, it was always about a solid floor for hitting. I love Stewart's approach and although I'm not sure what happened to him over the second half of the half this year in AAA, I still think he's got a chance to be a solid low-end starter corner outfielder or high-end 4th outfielder/DH. 

Taking a quick look at the current options, he's got a real good chance to be the everyday right fielder next year. My guess is he's a .760 OPS guy over a full season.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm happy he is playing okay. I'm rooting for him. Seems like an extremely level headed kid.... but I don't think he is a ML starter... although he could be for the 2019 Orioles who will likely break thru 100 losses for a second consecutive season. Could have a ML career as one of those guys that hangs around and gets 350 AB's every year, if he can have an OBP over .350

If he has an OBP over .350 there's no need to limit his ABs if, as the stats I've heard indicate, it's not necessary to platoon him depending on whether the pitcher is left- or right-handed.

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

If he has an OBP over .350 there's no need to limit his ABs if, as the stats I've heard indicate, it's not necessary to platoon him depending on whether the pitcher is left- or right-handed.

My assumption is that he is the type of player that needs to be spot used to keep his numbers up, and that if he was called on to be a regular he would struggle to have good offensive numbers

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

My assumption is that he is the type of player that needs to be spot used to keep his numbers up, and that if he was called on to be a regular he would struggle to have good offensive numbers

I guess we will find out over time.   Certainly he’s been a full-time guy in the minors, but so were most major leaguers when they were in the minors.    

I’m glad he’s having a good September because it gives him some confidence going into 2019.

13 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm warming up to him.

He had his issues in the minors and I wasn't that impressed with a first rounder. But his hitting looks to be picking up steam. I want to see more of him in the field, which is seems like Buck is avoiding a bit.

I'd be thrilled if he can be a servicable corner outfielder for the next six years.  An .OPS around .750 for him would be just fine.

Archived