DJ Stewart and Carroll are called up

eddie83

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because Sisco is just a year younger than Stewart, put up much worse numbers and is sub par defensively at his position. Yet you think one is a legitimate prospects and the other is not.  I just find it interesting how people view things.

Glad to have your opinion. As I said,

I find them interesting so I have no idea why you think that's special, but I've dealt with you for years and know your M.O. so I'll ignore that.

Exactly what brought on those examples of passive aggressive comments?   

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Glad to have your opinion. As I said, I find them interesting so I have no idea why you think that's special, but I've dealt with you for years and know your M.O. so I'll ignore that.

Sisco is 15-months younger than Stewar which is notable, but not signifcant especially when you consider that Stewart came up through college and Sisco was drafted from High School

Since AA (when stats start to matter a lot more):

AAA:
Sisco:     .260/.341/.391/.733, 12 HR, 30 EXB, 50BB/140K, 557PA 
Stewart: .235/.329/.387/.716, 12 HR, 38 EXB, 54BB/103K, 490PA
AA: 
Sisco:     .310/.396/.417/.813,  6 HR, 39 EXB, 68BB/97K, 563PAs
Stewart: .278/.378/.481/.859, 21 HR, 49 EXB, 65BB/85K, 540 PAs

Stewart walks at a better rate and strikeouts at a lesser rate than Sisco while showing more power. Stewart plays an average left field while Sisco plays a below average catcher (14% CS at Norfolk, 92nd of 114 major league catchers in FRAA_ADJ -2.3).

My point is not to say Stewart and some great prospect, but that he should not be dismissed if you are still going to think Sisco is some kind of good prospects still. They have produced fairly similarly in the high minors while being of similar age, but Stewart has the edge in power and BB and K rates and defense.

There is certainly a possibility that Stewart suffers from the same lack of bat speed as Sisco (I'd need to see more video before saying that), but in my opinion, if you consider Sisco still a top prospect (I don't regardless of his lack of rookie status) then I don't see how you can just dismiss Stewart.

I don't think Sisco or Stewart showed they are ready for the majors.   But both are young enough to have better seasons at AAA next year and push there way to the majors..

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They need to save roster spots to protect players that are eligible for the Rule 5 draft.   Mountcastle is not eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

It makes no sense to rush up the top prospects just because we would like to see them. I agree. 

I do find some of the moves they have made lately to be very odd. In the grand scheme of things how much playing time Player A gets compared to Player B is not a big deal. That said the way things have been handled is curious at best. 

I guess I can understand not wanting to call up Stewart when the team was in Seattle for 2 games before an off day but then why not bring him up while they were in Tampa? They could have sent him to work out in Sarasota and then brought him over. 

Sisco is brought back but then mostly sits. It is almost like they know they needed a 3rd C but don’t really think Chance deserves to play. The Susac situation is odd as well. 

In late August Gentry plays a bunch but is then released. I guess it is possible they were hoping a team would want him in trade so they can save a small amount of money. I guess.  

I have supported Dan but I don’t care if Jones pissed him off. The fact he sat in Tampa is the biggest Orioles storyline right now and easily could have been avoided. I know the games were on the road but still. 

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Glad to have your opinion. As I said, I find them interesting so I have no idea why you think that's special, but I've dealt with you for years and know your M.O. so I'll ignore that.

Sisco is 15-months younger than Stewar which is notable, but not signifcant especially when you consider that Stewart came up through college and Sisco was drafted from High School

Since AA (when stats start to matter a lot more):

AAA:
Sisco:     .260/.341/.391/.733, 12 HR, 30 EXB, 50BB/140K, 557PA 
Stewart: .235/.329/.387/.716, 12 HR, 38 EXB, 54BB/103K, 490PA
AA: 
Sisco:     .310/.396/.417/.813,  6 HR, 39 EXB, 68BB/97K, 563PAs
Stewart: .278/.378/.481/.859, 21 HR, 49 EXB, 65BB/85K, 540 PAs

Stewart walks at a better rate and strikeouts at a lesser rate than Sisco while showing more power. Stewart plays an average left field while Sisco plays a below average catcher (14% CS at Norfolk, 92nd of 114 major league catchers in FRAA_ADJ -2.3).

My point is not to say Stewart and some great prospect, but that he should not be dismissed if you are still going to think Sisco is some kind of good prospects still. They have produced fairly similarly in the high minors while being of similar age, but Stewart has the edge in power and BB and K rates and defense.

There is certainly a possibility that Stewart suffers from the same lack of bat speed as Sisco (I'd need to see more video before saying that), but in my opinion, if you consider Sisco still a top prospect (I don't regardless of his lack of rookie status) then I don't see how you can just dismiss Stewart.

Getting back to the topic, again age is an important factor when evaluating the defensive capablity of a catcher.  Sisco was 22 in AAA last year - a Kid if you will - and should be expected to improve.  That's typical for catching prospects.  Catching takes years to develop, and playing corner OF is comparatively simple where you are what you are by 24.  He also hit better in AAA than Stewart did.  Stewart's stats are not terrible because he's been able to draw walks from minor league pitchers.  Against major league pitchers, that's probably not going to work as well because of his lack of hitting ability.  Hopefully, I'm underrating Stewart.  I think you are significantly underrating Sisco.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It makes no sense to rush up the top prospects just because we would like to see them. I agree. 

I do find some of the moves they have made lately to be very odd. In the grand scheme of things how much playing time Player A gets compared to Player B is not a big deal. That said the way things have been handled is curious at best. 

I guess I can understand not wanting to call up Stewart when the team was in Seattle for 2 games before an off day but then why not bring him up while they were in Tampa? They could have sent him to work out in Sarasota and then brought him over. 

Sisco is brought back but then mostly sits. It is almost like they know they needed a 3rd C but don’t really think Chance deserves to play. The Susac situation is odd as well. 

In late August Gentry plays a bunch but is then released. I guess it is possible they were hoping a team would want him in trade so they can save a small amount of money. I guess.  

I have supported Dan but I don’t care if Jones pissed him off. The fact he sat in Tampa is the biggest Orioles storyline right now and easily could have been avoided. I know the games were on the road but still. 

I've never heard of anyone but Buck making out the lineups. Whether Dan wanted him benched or not, Buck makes the ultimate call unless something has changed.

Just now, Ruzious said:

Getting back to the topic, again age is an important factor when evaluating the defensive capablity of a catcher.  Sisco was 22 in AAA last year - a Kid if you will - and should be expected to improve.  That's typical for catching prospects.  Catching takes years to develop, and playing corner OF is comparatively simple where you are what you are by 24.  He also hit better in AAA than Stewart did.  Stewart's stats are not terrible because he's been able to draw walks from minor league pitchers.  Against major league pitchers, that's probably not going to work as well because of his lack of hitting ability.  Hopefully, I'm underrating Stewart.  I think you are significantly underrating Sisco.

We will see. But as I showed before, Sisco has a histrionically bad K rate for over 150 PAs to start a career. The only position players with similar K rates never had more than 300 PAs in their careers.

My issue with Sisco is that he has a slow bat and you can't really overcome that. Major league pitchers figured that out so they pound him in with fastballs and when he starts to cheat they throw him offspeed and he can't handle it. Sisco seems to only be able to hit offspeed when he's guessing offspeed. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I didn't see a guy struggling to make adjustments to the major leagues, I saw a guy who doesn't have the bat speed to be successful in the major leagues. 

18 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The 2018 Orioles staying competitive is an oxymoron. Good grief.  

That isn't what Buck is saying. He wants to make sure he isn't starting his best players all against one team in a race, while serving up a bunch of fringe guys against another team in a race. He's trying to respect other teams and the game. 

I agree with that. The O's should be evaluating talent right now - but not at the expense of the game.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've never heard of anyone but Buck making out the lineups. Whether Dan wanted him benched or not, Buck makes the ultimate call unless something has changed.

I agree with you Tony, not sure, why people are trying to turn this into a conspiracy or something.

I am sure, they both have conversations between themselves, about what they are trying to do, with roster and players.

GM sets the roster and the manager sets the daily lineup and manages the game, pretty clear cut roles.

24 minutes ago, weams said:

Schmuck says Dan told Adam that if he chose to stay, that he would not play much.  And that it was his 5/10 labor right to  choose that. 

I saw that. Schmuck is framing it as "DD makes good on his angry promise" to bench AJ. What I don't get is how that is DD's call. Buck is the one filling out the lineup card.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I saw that. Schmuck is framing it as "DD makes good on his angry promise" to bench AJ. What I don't get is how that is DD's call. Buck is the one filling out the lineup card.

Neither myself nor Schmuck know what has been said among the management privately or what instructions any of the management employees have been given. We only know their media speak. 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Dan is Buck's boss.  If he says bench Jones and play the "kids" that is what Buck should be doing.

Archived