How Long is the Road to Contention?

WarehouseChatter

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That’s way too far in the future for me to guess.    There might be players on the 2040 team that haven’t been born yet.   

Seams like there was a Shaq commercial and it showed basketball in the future, he was wearing a jetpack and the rim was like 30 feet in the air and moving.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thats way too far in the future for me to guess. There might be players on the 2040 team that haven’t been born yet.   

o

Bartolo Colon can be the 5th starter for that team, and mentor the younger pitchers.

o

We know the next few years are out, so that's basically a 20-year span. 

Just for curiosity, in the last 20 years the AL has sent these teams to the World Series: 

• 6x: NYY
  • 3x: BOS
  • 2x: DET, KC, TEX
  • 1x: CHW, CLE, HOU, LAA, TB

So ten of the 15 teams have gone in 20 years. It's become harder for one team to dominate for years on end— five of the six NYY appearances were in the first six years of the above sample, and there have been eight different AL champs in the last 10 years. Big money is obviously still an advantage but several teams with similar or lesser payrolls than us have broken through. If they expand the league to 32 that might make it a little harder to make the playoffs but I don't think it'd be a huge effect. (Winding up in a four team division with the Jays, Sox, and Yanks would certainly not be helpful though...)

If they're serious about building a real modern scouting and development program, they can make it better than a coin flip. 

I guess some good news.  The road got shorter by a month.

A follow-up appointment on Monday in Baltimore to examine Orioles pitching prospect Hunter Harvey’s surgically-repaired right elbow revealed no structural damage or chances, leaving his recent discomfort down to tendinitis, according to multiple industry sources.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-hunter-harvey-update-20180925-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

We know the next few years are out, so that's basically a 20-year span. 

Just for curiosity, in the last 20 years the AL has sent these teams to the World Series: 

• 6x: NYY
  • 3x: BOS
  • 2x: DET, KC, TEX
  • 1x: CHW, CLE, HOU, LAA, TB

So ten of the 15 teams have gone in 20 years. It's become harder for one team to dominate for years on end— five of the six NYY appearances were in the first six years of the above sample, and there have been eight different AL champs in the last 10 years. Big money is obviously still an advantage but several teams with similar or lesser payrolls than us have broken through. If they expand the league to 32 that might make it a little harder to make the playoffs but I don't think it'd be a huge effect. (Winding up in a four team division with the Jays, Sox, and Yanks would certainly not be helpful though...)

If they're serious about building a real modern scouting and development program, they can make it better than a coin flip. 

Yep and you never know when that year maybe.  As bad as not pitching Britton in the AL wild card game that was the end of our so called window anyway.  The Nats on the other hand shut down Stras when they had a great season but thought it wasn't worth the risk because they were young and would have many years after to win the World Series with their young talent and Harper.  Now Harper is a free agent and may leave and either way they never sniffed the World Series.  If Strasburger pitched that year they may or may not have went to world series but you can't assume that you have more chances no matter what sport.  The Cowboys now are seeing that with everyone saying they were back two years ago with a young core at QB and RB that were cheap and a line that was locked up for a few years.  Two years later and they have fallen completely off the radar as a great team.

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yep and you never know when that year maybe.  As bad as not pitching Britton in the AL wild card game that was the end of our so called window anyway.  The Nats on the other hand shut down Stras when they had a great season but thought it wasn't worth the risk because they were young and would have many years after to win the World Series with their young talent and Harper.  Now Harper is a free agent and may leave and either way they never sniffed the World Series.  If Strasburger pitched that year they may or may not have went to world series but you can't assume that you have more chances no matter what sport.  The Cowboys now are seeing that with everyone saying they were back two years ago with a young core at QB and RB that were cheap and a line that was locked up for a few years.  Two years later and they have fallen completely off the radar as a great team.

As bad as Britton flying cross country  in the ALCS. 

On 9/17/2018 at 5:04 PM, weams said:

Oh. Peter Angelos then. Since he was the sole decision making owner until this season. I understand your point now. 

True, Peter Angelos was "the sole decision making owner" and still is this season, since neither John nor Louis is an owner. Lou is an "ownership representative" while John is Executive Vice President. However, I suspected in the mid-1990s that the sons held significant sway in their father's decision making processes. Sometimes, I believe, the father took the on-field personnel advice of his sons as much as he did from some of the GMs.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

True, Peter Angelos was "the sole decision making owner" and still is this season, since neither John nor Louis is an owner. Lou is an "ownership representative" while John is Executive Vice President. However, I suspected in the mid-1990s that the sons held significant sway in their father's decision making processes. Sometimes, I believe, the father took the on-field personnel advice of his sons as much as he did from some of the GMs.

Based on what? 

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I won't argue with you. But you are dead wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Well that's one clever way of not arguing with me. Declare that I am dead wrong and end the conversation.
It's all so very . . . OH! ?

I'll bite, when did the Angelos boys become owners? 

Peter is no longer involved in the Orioles operations. And no, I won't discuss his health further. OH is a very nice place. Everyone gets to say their bit.  Debate is not the only way to be right. Why don't you just say me and be done with it.

Archived