BR: O's farm system 18th; list of 10 prospects

wildcard

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure that would be quite different.   But what would be the point of that exercise?

It would provide some insight into the extent to which the Orioles’ decision not to compete for higher-valued international players has impaired their MiL talent. Still only a rough measure,  but not as rough as “a lot.”  No real point to that, but it might be interesting. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Angelos is 80 something years old and wanted a shot at winning while he could enjoy it. I'm not saying I agree with the premise, but if you're told by your employer to win at all costs that's what you do.

Peter will be 90 on the fourth of July 2019 should his health allow. 

3 hours ago, capyy said:

Assuming 18 is correct, where would the Orioles rank if they added VVM and whoever the #1 draft pick ends up being? Would they crack top 10? 

You would assume the two new top 100 amateurs would move them above 10. Right?

41 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm the biggest Gausman fan. He's not. 

I think you just proved that you are not Gausman's biggest fan. 

Gausman was playing with a terrible defense, offense and pen when he was with the O's.   He had a 3.67 ERA in 2014 and a 3.61 ERA in 2016 before the O's crumbled.   Over the last three years he has proven he  can make 30 or more starts per season.    Put a good club around him and he is a star.   That is what he is proving with the Braves.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Gausman was playing with a terrible defense, offense and pen when he was with the O's.   He had a 3.67 ERA in 2014 and a 3.61 ERA in 2016 before the O's crumbled.   Over the last three years he has proven he  can make 30 or more starts per season.    Put a good club around him and he is a star.   That is what he is proving with the Braves.

He hasn't proven anything at Atlanta he has a worse strikeout rate  the hits per 9 innings are similar and the walks are also similar.  Gausman is not the same guy he was in 2014 heck even 2016.  I watch the Braves a lot now that the Orioles are awful and they are in my area.  He is not the same guy pitching he is sitting in the low 90s to start the game and when he gets deeper into the games he is mid 90s.  In 2014 he was a guy that started in the mid 90s then would loosen up to high 90s and even touch 100 here and there.  He can't touch 97 now even if he was driving a car.  So far he has looked actually like the same guy with less velocity would have a good start here and there but also have duds.  He will look better pitching in the NL especially with who he has faced so far with bottom feeder offenses.  

12 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

He hasn't proven anything at Atlanta he has a worse strikeout rate  the hits per 9 innings are similar and the walks are also similar.  Gausman is not the same guy he was in 2014 heck even 2016.  I watch the Braves a lot now that the Orioles are awful and they are in my area.  He is not the same guy pitching he is sitting in the low 90s to start the game and when he gets deeper into the games he is mid 90s.  In 2014 he was a guy that started in the mid 90s then would loosen up to high 90s and even touch 100 here and there.  He can't touch 97 now even if he was driving a car.  So far he has looked actually like the same guy with less velocity would have a good start here and there but also have duds.  He will look better pitching in the NL especially with who he has faced so far with bottom feeder offenses.  

I didn't say he was a great strikeout pitcher.   He has changed his pitching mix since going to the Braves.  He throws about a third on his pitches as spitters now.   It seem to be more effective.  I guess  McDowell just didn't know what to do to help him.   Still it must be nice that when he gets a ground ball there are fielders with enough range to get to it and throw runners out.   They probably know how to make a double play, something the O's had trouble with in in the 1st half.    And he can probably pitch  with more confidence knowing if he gives up runs  the team can still win. 

No doubt pitching in the NL is a little easier than pitching for the Orioles.  But the way the O's have played defensively and offensively will make pitchers feel like they don't have a lot of chances to win.

Gausman could have been the same star with the O's that he is with the Braves but the O's just didn't have the players to support him.  Gausman is pitching like a #1 pitcher for the Braves.   And the 1st place Brave love it.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

He was most certainly not playing with a terrible offense, defense and pen in 2014.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He was most certainly not playing with a terrible offense, defense and pen in 2014.

Didn't mean to confuse you,  He was playing with a terrible offense, defense and pen this year and most of last year.   He had better ERA numbers in 2014 and 2016 when he was playing with a better O's team.  Sorry I didn't make what I was trying to say clear.

2016: 2.82 ERA the last two months.

2017: 3.41 ERA the last two months.

2018: 2.61 ERA the last two months (two starts remaining).

I don’t feel like 2018 proves anything more than the last two months of 2016 or 2017 did.   You are jumping to conclusions prematurely IMO.    That’s not the same as saying you’re wrong.    Time will tell on that one.   

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Didn't mean to confuse you,  He was playing with a terrible offense, defense and pen this year and most of last year.   He had better ERA numbers in 2014 and 2016 when he was playing with a better O's team.  Sorry I didn't make what I was trying to say clear.

I appreciate the clarification.

That said, I'm a little uncomfortable with you taking the time to clarify your position.  This is the internet, you know. You really should have doubled down and called me an idiot (or something far more colorful)...

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Not only has he thrown 97 in Atl but he’s also:

I didn't say he was a great strikeout pitcher.   He has changed his pitching mix since going to the Braves.  He throws about a third on his pitches as spitters now.   It seem to be more effective.  I guess  McDowell just didn't know what to do to help him.   Still it must be nice that when he gets a ground ball there are fielders with enough range to get to it and throw runners out.   They probably know how to make a double play, something the O's had trouble with in in the 1st half.    And he can probably pitch  with more confidence knowing if he gives up runs  the team can still win. 

No doubt pitching in the NL is a little easier than pitching for the Orioles.  But the way the O's have played defensively and offensively will make pitchers feel like they don't have a lot of chances to win.

Gausman could have been the same star with the O's that he is with the Braves but the O's just didn't have the players to support him.  Gausman is pitching like a #1 pitcher for the Braves.   And the 1st place Brave love it.

Archived