BR: O's farm system 18th; list of 10 prospects

wildcard

7 hours ago, terpoh said:

?How is that 1-3 "indisputably" the best in baseball? A guy who has thrown 44 innings at an era above 4 and has a career era of 5.38... a guy who has had a phenomenal year with Houston but has finished in the top 5 cy young exactly once in his 6 year career... a guy who has talent but also had a 4.44 era just last year. I just dont see it. Its without question not better than the Indians, Astros, Dodgers or Cubs. And I'd love to hear how its "indisputably" better than any of these teams:

Indians, Astros, Dodgers, Cubs,  Nationals, Braves, Red Sox, Yankees, Diamondbacks, Cardinals

How many of Glasnow’s starts have you watched? More importantly, how much money has your ability to see any of these things made you? Cole, Taillon and Glasnow are infinitely better than what STL has, Az has, the Nyy have, Cubs? Are you kidding? Nats have 2, Braves arent close, Indians are a solid but behind, Boston certainly isn’t there, the Dodgers could get there but they don’t have 3 they can count on going into 2019 that are better. 

The Astros wouldn’t have Cole, my brilliant and kind friend. It’s easily better than what the Cubs have, that’s a laughable comparison. 

The Mets are the team that could have 3 as dominant if Wheeler’s return is legitimate. You didn’t mention them, but you did mention STL, which says quite a bit about what you’ve seen.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Not sold on Mancini as a long term piece at all. He doesn't seem to have a plus tool really. Can't play in the outfield obviously. Can probably play first but can he hit enough for 1st? I doubt it. He doesn't bring power position power to the plate. He doesn't have a great eye. No speed. I feel like this hasn't been brought up enough because there are so many other black-holes on this team. He had a nice August but other than that has been pretty atrocious with the bat.

Faster than Adam Jones!

3 hours ago, Sydnor said:

I don’t know where or what you have read about Mountcastle, but several reports have been more positive lately. For example, 2080 gives him a 50 FV on fielding and throwing, stating that he has improved at third and that his arm is playable:

Field 45 50

Improving defender at 3B who has a better chance to stay there; hands and feet look more polished after putting in work since last year. Fringy now but can work into an average defender.

Throw 45 50
Arm was a weakness but has gotten it to playable. Learning to shorten throws with his legs and finish plays from lower armslots. Projects to be an average thrower w/ continued reps.

https://2080baseball.com/reports/ryan-mountcastle/

Many said it was impossible to improve the arm. Interesting. If Mountcastle can stay at 3rd, it obviously opens up more exciting possibilities for us and makes him a far more valuable asset.

3 hours ago, Sydnor said:

I don’t know where or what you have read about Mountcastle, but several reports have been more positive lately. For example, 2080 gives him a 50 FV on fielding and throwing, stating that he has improved at third and that his arm is playable:

Field 45 50

Improving defender at 3B who has a better chance to stay there; hands and feet look more polished after putting in work since last year. Fringy now but can work into an average defender.

Throw 45 50
Arm was a weakness but has gotten it to playable. Learning to shorten throws with his legs and finish plays from lower armslots. Projects to be an average thrower w/ continued reps.

https://2080baseball.com/reports/ryan-mountcastle/

Very encouraging. Thanks.

Delmarva's pitching coach Justin Lord's take on Hanifee and strikeout rate, similar to what I've mentioned before.

“That can be the case,” Lord said. “It’s hard to predict the future, but I have a feeling, if I had to guess, that his strikeouts will potentially increase as his secondary stuff gets better. Because he will be able to keep hitters off-balance a little more. Now he works hard to get ground balls, but I think the strikeouts could increase moving forward.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/09/a-look-at-the-minor-league-pitcher-with-big-stats-but-little-fanfare.html

On 9/21/2018 at 4:22 PM, Cy Bundy said:

How many of Glasnow’s starts have you watched? More importantly, how much money has your ability to see any of these things made you? Cole, Taillon and Glasnow are infinitely better than what STL has, Az has, the Nyy have, Cubs? Are you kidding? Nats have 2, Braves arent close, Indians are a solid but behind, Boston certainly isn’t there, the Dodgers could get there but they don’t have 3 they can count on going into 2019 that are better. 

The Astros wouldn’t have Cole, my brilliant and kind friend. It’s easily better than what the Cubs have, that’s a laughable comparison. 

The Mets are the team that could have 3 as dominant if Wheeler’s return is legitimate. You didn’t mention them, but you did mention STL, which says quite a bit about what you’ve seen.

First - I dont like to work in absolutes. So my rebuttal to you was moreso in your use of "indisputably" and "infinitely" and less in the actual teams and players. You're talking about guys who just flat out have not proven themselves over the course of multiple years like a lot of the players on the teams that I listed. You're right- I have not seen all of Glasnow's starts, nor do I need to. Thats what stats are for. The guy has a 4.11 era with good k and bb numbers. Certainly respectable and encouraging for the future, but you're talking about this guy, again in absolutes, like hes Max Scherzer. As I said previously as well Taillon and Cole are having great years as well- but I just have a hard time crowning them as the "indisputable" top 1-3 in baseball when you have other teams who have done it this year and over the course of multiple years. In your original post you said Glasgow and Cole would be as "good as any" 1-2 punch in baseball which is even more absurd in my opinion. Of the teams I listed.. I dont think many MLB executives would take Glasnow/Cole over:

Indians: Bauer/Kluber/Carrasco/Clevinger (take your pick of any combination). This one is not even close.

Astros (without cole): Verlander/Morton/Keuchel

Dodgers: Kershaw/Buehler/Wood

Mets: Degrom/Syndergaard/Wheeler

Cubs: Hamels/Lester/Hendricks

Nationals: Scherzer/Strasburg/Roark - Stras and Max alone make their top 3 better. 

Cardinals: Mikolas/Wacha/Flaherty/Martinez/Wainwright

Braves: Foltynewicz/Gausman/Teheran (same age and career stats as good as Taillon)

Rays: Snell/Archer (since you keep Glasnow on the Pirates)/Yarbrough

Red Sox: Sale/Price/ERod

Yankees: Severino/Tanaka

Diamondbacks: Greinke/Corbin/Ray

I'm leaving off multiple pitchers from these teams that have sub 4 era's and have done it over the course of multiple years as well. Cole.. I get it.. he seems to be estabilshing himself as a TOR guy. Taillon could become that, and has had a good year, but was mediocre just last year. Glasnow is not even in the conversation of most of these other guys. Maybe he will become that, but not right now. I'm not even saying these teams 1-3 or 1-2 will be BETTER, I'm just saying that I dont see how you can "indisputably" so that they WONT.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:14 PM, Cy Bundy said:

Since moving to the NL Gausman has been better than Hamels. 

By what measure? Not by FIP. Not by ERA. Not really by any measure has he been "better". Comparable in some ways. But not better. 

2018 27 ATL NL 5 2 .714 2.80 9 9 0 0 0 0 54.2 45 20 17 4 15 1 38 2 0 0 219 145 3.65 1.098 7.4 0.7 2.5 6.3 2.53

2018 34 CHC NL 4 1 .800 2.42 10 10 0 1 0 0 63.1 53 18 17 5 19 0 59 5 1 1 251 178 3.46 1.137 7.5 0.7 2.7 8.4 3.11

Archived