Internal manager candidates

Frobby

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't matter to me one bit just as long as they don't abuse anybody's arms/playing time and provide a solid example to the players....and don't play any veterans over future centerpieces for the club unless absolutely necessary (health, for example). Otherwise, if the team is going to royally suck, it doesn't matter what name you put out there. 

Does everyone forget all the work Manny put in at 3B before games while he was at Bowie?  That was going on for months secretly.  

Whoever gets the job will be a sacrificial lamb and given no chance to succeed and then likely be disposed of before any real success might be seen with this rebuild, which isn’t guaranteed to work.  And it has to be a good teacher on board with analytics apparently.

Dickerson, Kendall, and Johnson could be that guy.  They all know the game.  But who knows if they fit right in the direction this team supposedly wants to go.  

IMHO the ability of the coaching staff to share data with players in ways that help them improve their individual performances will be key to the rebuild and how long it takes to produce positive results. It's also one of the differences between clubs managed by old-school guys and the new breed of manager.

Whoever gets the job might be a fall guy in a few years, but he and his coaches will need excellent communications skills and the ability to translate data into action plans for players. Are there any internal candidates who fit the bill?

If they'd consider a rookie manager, I'd still be intrigued by Bordick.

Whoever it is, I wonder if he might consider promoting Griffin to the parent club. (If it's Johnson in particular, I imagine there's a decent chance of that happening.) Although I vacillate between wanting Griffin to just stay put continuing to develop guys down there and wanting him to get a shot on the top level.

Of course, this is contingent upon Buck actually not returning; I remain hopeful, if not optimistic, that he will. 

On 9/22/2018 at 2:05 PM, weams said:

I believe Boddy Dickerson will get poached if not offered a promotion. He made Manny. 

Manny made Manny. Ok, to be more exact, Manny's parents made Manny. Dickerson helped him in the conversion to third base, but let's not act like Dickerson made Manny into a superstar. Manny's talent made him into a super star.

For me, Kendell, Johnson and Britton are the internal standouts in my opinion. Kendall never played proball, but he's well respected as a manager and talent evaluation.

On 9/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, weams said:

I think the Platinum glove came as a result of Manny listening to Bobby. And not his agent.  No end to his skills. 

Mike Bordick and Denny Hocking worked a lot with Manny and Schoop as well. I'm sure the coaching they got helped, but let's be very clear, Manny's talent is what made him a super star,

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mike Bordick and Denny Hocking worked a lot with Manny and Schoop as well. I'm sure the coaching they got helped, but let's be very clear, Manny's talent is what made him a super star,

It is valuable to hear your perspective on this. Bobby gets a lot of hype. 

10 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

It might be best for a new manager to have no preconceived ideas about the players or an existing relationship with them when he takes over. 

Clean slate.

25 new prospects from the fire sale, so even guys in our system really dont have that much of a relationship with them.

On 9/22/2018 at 2:05 PM, weams said:

Roy, it's only a two year gig. 

On 9/22/2018 at 2:44 PM, weams said:

It's how long we will be lousy without a change. 

You keep referring to this as fact.  I think it’s reasonable to think next manager will be cheap and a placeholder, but the idea that it’s a two yr gig presupposes that it is part of a grand plan. It is abundantly clear that said plan if it is in existence is not public. 

As long as GM picks and announces manager, I’m ok if it’s the Oriole Bird. 

Archived