Would you non-tender Dylan Bundy?

webbrick2010

o

This notion reminds me somewhat of what many Mets fans who called into sports radio prior to this season who wanted to DFA Zack Wheeler.

Their reasoning ??? Purely emotional frustration ........ "I am so sick of Zach Wheeler, He cannot stay healthy. PLEASE just get rid of of him, I don't care how you do it, just get rid of him."

Wheeler had such a good season that he is a candidate for the Comeback Player of the Year award, but that really is not so much the point.

Even without the hindsight of Wheeler's excellent comeback season, if we go back to March of 2018, the facts were that Wheeler was cheap (his 2018 salary was $1.9 Million), he was under team control (he is not eligible for free agency until 2020), and he had shown in the past (prior to his injuries) that he had what it took to be a solid Major League starting pitcher ........ there was no rational reason to "get rid of him", other than to satisfy some fans who had emotional indigestion, and needed to fart on the air of sports radio to relieve themselves of their gas. 

The Dylan Bundy situation is not identical to the Zack Wheeler situation prior to this 2018 season, but the suggestion (and the reasoning behind it) is similar ........ let her rip with an emotionally-driven irrational proposal, pass some gas around the room, then feel the satisfaction of your flatulence (while others who realize the absurdity of your proposal hold their noses and roll their eyes.)

o

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Finisher said:

Guys who didn't look like major league pitchers with us or who we deemed not good enough:

Wade Miley: 2.32 ERA this year

Edwin Jackson: 3.18 ERA

Gausman with Braves: 2.80 ERA (4.40 with Orioles)

Brach with Braves: 1.23 ERA (4.85 with Orioles)

Richard Rodriguez: 2.39 ERA

Chaz Roe: 3.51 ERA

Which pitching coach we hire may be as important, if not more, than manager.

It is amazing how many guys looks totally awful with the Orioles and go somewhere else either refind the magic or develop.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It is amazing how many guys looks totally awful with the Orioles and go somewhere else either refind the magic or develop.

I think it's the small ballparks in the AL East. Tampa develops pitchers and they are the only team that plays in a pitcher friendly environment. I don't see a lot of development from Boston,Toronto or New York.Toronto could paint it's batters eye white and probably join the Rays.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This notion reminds me somewhat of what many Mets fans who called into sports radio prior to this season who wanted to DFA Zack Wheeler.

Their reasoning ??? Purely emotional frustration ........ "I am so sick of Zach Wheeler, He cannot stay healthy. PLEASE just get rid of of him, I don't care how you do it, just get rid of him."

Wheeler had such a good season that he is a candidate for the Comeback Player of the Year award, but that really is not so much the point.

Even without the hindsight of Wheeler's excellent comeback season, if we go back to March of 2018, the facts were that Wheeler was cheap (his 2018 salary was $1.9 Million), he was under team control (he is not eligible for free agency until 2020), and he had shown in the past (prior to his injuries) that he had what it took to be a solid Major League starting pitcher ........ there was no rational reason to "get rid of him", other than to satisfy some fans who had emotional indigestion, and needed to fart on the air of sports radio to relieve themselves of their gas. 

The Dylan Bundy situation (and Webbrick's proposal) is not identical to the Zack Wheeler situation prior to this 2018 season, but the suggestion (and the reasoning behind it) is similar ........ let her rip with some emotionally-driven irrational proposal, pass some gas around the room, then feel the satisfaction of your flatulence (while others who realize the absurdity of your proposal hold their noses and roll their eyes.)

o

Post of the day, lol.

4 hours ago, Finisher said:

Guys who didn't look like major league pitchers with us or who we deemed not good enough:

Wade Miley: 2.32 ERA this year

Edwin Jackson: 3.18 ERA

Gausman with Braves: 2.80 ERA (4.40 with Orioles)

Brach with Braves: 1.23 ERA (4.85 with Orioles)

Richard Rodriguez: 2.39 ERA

Chaz Roe: 3.51 ERA

Which pitching coach we hire may be as important, if not more, than manager.

I believe Stephen Tarpley has looked good for the Yankees as a September callup, too.

7 hours ago, Ruzious said:

McDowell developed a very bad rep for dealing with young pitchers in Atlanta before they fired him.  Looks like he doesn't deal real well with veteran pitchers, either.  

So he doesn't deal well with young pitchers, or veterans... but he's FIRE with everybody else. We just need to draft guys who aren't young or veterans, and we're set! 

1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

So he doesn't deal well with young pitchers, or veterans... but he's FIRE with everybody else. We just need to draft guys who aren't young or veterans, and we're set! 

Lol, kinda what I was getting at - though I felt confident the O's were not planning on drafting veterans.     

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Stop blaming the American League for this team.  This team could lose 110 games in any division.

Pitchers pitch better in the National League. They have pitchers that try to hit and defensive first catchers. It's just math and science. Not an excuse. It happens to all AL teams. Other than the ones that play in Coliseums. 

3 hours ago, Larry18 said:

I think it's the small ballparks in the AL East. Tampa develops pitchers and they are the only team that plays in a pitcher friendly environment. I don't see a lot of development from Boston,Toronto or New York.Toronto could paint it's batters eye white and probably join the Rays.

In addition to small parks there are always three good teams and sometimes four.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Lol, kinda what I was getting at - though I felt confident the O's were not planning on drafting veterans.     

I'm not so sure -- I heard Brady's been scouting the Yankees in preparation for next year's international draft. But seriously... did we not talk to anyone at Atlanta before hiring this guy? I'm sure he's not the worst pitching coach in the world, but it looks like we kinda went for "brand appeal" in snatching him from Atlanta. 

We did the same with Leo Mazzone, who was a genius before he got here. Then he suddenly turned into an Italian Dempster with a leg twitch. 

The difference between what our pitchers do for us and then what they do once traded or released cannot be explained by "NL vs. AL". They are completely different pitchers. For some their stats changed IMMEDIATELY. The rest of baseball is laughing at us. Some posters have mentioned other pitchers I've forgot about too.

Even in 2012 Strop was not the pitcher he was once he got to the Cubs. Wade Miley never walked nearly that many batters in his life until he got to Baltimore. We strolled Arrieta out there for 4 years and he's a changed pitcher as soon as he puts on the Cubs uniform. Tsuyoshi Wada. Chaz Roe. We kept Richard Rodriguez in Norfolk for two whole years and now he's a stud bullpen piece for the Pirates. Brad Brach.  We need to see more than Kevin Gausman with the Braves but would you really be surprised to see him go the way of Arrieta? 110 losses and counting and no one fired. Cardinals were one game above .500 and they fired their manager.

Archived