Loverro: The Orioles could be sold this winter

Tony-OH

15 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

What is interesting to me is how little you have heard Cal's name all year.  The O's have reached out to many of the past Oriole greats this season which is nice to finally see but Cal seems MIA more than past years.  It was widely reported years ago that Cal would possibly have interest in working for the O's or in MLB once his kids were grown up.  With all the turmoil this season you would of thought that Cals  name would be thrown around a bunch with speculation on what roll he could fill.  Him and Brady used to be the best of friends so you would think even more so that Cal would be mentioned with some of the potential future moves.   

Not saying it is a good idea to give him a role but it just seems a little odd.  I have though thought to myself that maybe their is a plan in the works for him to be part of an ownership group trying to buy the team.  It would maybe make sense that he would keep a low profile so nothing could get leaked about a potential sale of the team to a group headed by him.  May be off base but I guess it is a possibility?

Maybe we don't hear about Cal in an ownership group or any other ownership group because the Angelos are not ready to sell.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By Ripken led group do you mean being the figurehead employee of a corporate ownership group like Jeter is in Miami? 

He could do that.

Actually lead a group?  He doesn't have the money.

I think Plank would be the money guy and the majority owner, and Ripken would be a minority owner, like Clancy was.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Steinbreener didnt have a MASN dispute as a thorn in MLB side.

I am not totally buying this theory that MLB will not allow the boys to inherit the team.

Sure, but I'm not clear on what - if anything - the MASN dispute has to do with who owns the Baltimore Orioles.

Adam Jones has probably been this team’s most important and admired player since Cal Ripken in his 11 years in Baltimore. He will be a free agent at the end of this season, and likely played his last game as an Oriole Sunday. Before the game, he was honored as the team’s Most Valuable Player for the season in a vote by local media and did his own lap around the stadium, a la Ripken, in saying goodbye to fans. But the order came down for no official goodbye or recognition for Jones from the team, as management is still sore about his refusal to waive his 10-and-5 rights to be traded at the deadline this season.

Wow.  smh

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Ripken wouldn't be leading the group.

We agree.

That would be my interpretation of the situation, but it was my idea, to start with.

Jeter only owns 4% of the Marlins.

Cal has a net worth of 75million. So can he come up with a 4% figure, maybe, who knows?

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Wow.   smh

Is that really what happened? Jones is a pending free agent, not retiring. How many times do teams have a big farewell for a pending free agent? I don't recall ever seeing something like that. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That would be my interpretation of the situation, but it was my idea, to start with.

Jeter only owns 4% of the Marlins.

Cal has a net worth of 75million. So can he come up with a 4% figure, maybe, who knows?

Jeter is taking a salary to reimburse him the money he invested in the team.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/sep/30/major-league-baseball-needs-an-orioles-franchise-t/

Although more of a piece on Buck Showalter, Loverro suggests that the "powers to be" do not want the Angelos brothers running the team in the future adn that the team could be for sale this winter. I said all along that the team appeared to currently be setting itself up to be sold, but whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

Though Loverro could not be further from the truth when he said that Buck was fighting against Angelos during his reign (Buck had heavy influence with Angelos, especially after Duquette's 2014-15 Blue Jays dalliance), it is true that the Orioles did have a nice run between 2012 and 2016 and Buck was a big part of that. Of course Buck reportedly had influence on the Davis and Trumbo re-signings so there's that as well.

Either way, I don't know what the future holds, but a fresh start from ownership on down can't be a bad thing .

This makes a lot of sense to me.  I've had hopes that John Angelos could become a far better owner than his father was, but there are doubts about that- outside of talk of a potential sale. 

Archived