John Smoltz?

KnuckleCurve

Always comes across as a bright guy on the broadcasts and obviously brings HOF credentials to the table.  Possibility as our new Pitching Coach?    At the very least, he'd be a tremendous asset to the Minor League system as an instructor.  Think it's time we get some new "voices" in the system (and new staff at all Minor League levels).   Whatever the current regime has been preaching at both the Major/Minor League levels for years STILL aren't producing quality Major League pitchers on a consistent basis. Let's get people in here that have some real credentials and know how to teach.

I mean am i the only on tired of watching teams pump out great pitching prospects year after year and we haven't since the Mussina days?  Time to revamp the scouting department as well- AGAIN.

FYI my picks for GM and Manager?   Ben Cherington/Mark DeRosa.   Otherwise, I'm free for an interview :)

1 hour ago, KnuckleCurve said:

Always comes across as a bright guy on the broadcasts and obviously brings HOF credentials to the table.  Possibility as our new Pitching Coach?    At the very least, he'd be a tremendous asset to the Minor League system as an instructor.  Think it's time we get some new "voices" in the system (and new staff at all Minor League levels).   Whatever the current regime has been preaching at both the Major/Minor League levels for years STILL aren't producing quality Major League pitchers on a consistent basis. Let's get people in here that have some real credentials and know how to teach.

I mean am i the only on tired of watching teams pump out great pitching prospects year after year and we haven't since the Mussina days?  Time to revamp the scouting department as well- AGAIN.

FYI my picks for GM and Manager?   Ben Cherington/Mark DeRosa.   Otherwise, I'm free for an interview :)

HOF credentials sounds good, but can he actually teach.

I respect Palmer for knowing the business and being a HOF big league pitcher, but I think personally, the idea of Palmer being a pitching coach here scares.

30 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Has Smoltz done any coaching at any level?

Is there any indication that he wants to get into the coaching profession?

With the gig he has - doing commentary, playing on the Champions Tour occasionally, I'm not sure he'd want to die a slow death in Baltimore for less money and only for pride.

I think Smoltzy might have been too gifted to make a good coach.  Things came easy for him, so he may not understand what less gifted players have to do.  Otoh, he did go through a stretch early in his career where he hired a sports psychologist to get him through mental issues regarding the game, so maybe being unfair by saying things came easy for him.  

20 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

HOF credentials sounds good, but can he actually teach.

I respect Palmer for knowing the business and being a HOF big league pitcher, but I think personally, the idea of Palmer being a pitching coach here scares.

Not to mention that in the 34 years since Palmer retired, not counting his attempted comeback, if he had wanted to be pitching coach, I imagine it would have been his for the taking.  The simple matter of fact is I don't think he wants to do it for a whole host of reasons, namely the travel involved and being away from his family and his son.  Jim Palmer has had a pretty good gig since he retired, no reason to ever give that up.

Archived