The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Orioles1954 said:

I'm not talking on the national level. I would think the Mesas would be a lot more marketable in Miami than Baltimore. Last time I saw an Oriole pitching a local product was Joey Rickard with Royal Farms chicken!

I think it would take quite a few of those local deals to make up the difference in signing bonus.

5 hours ago, POR said:

The amount of money is artificially low.  If there was not the new MLB international signing rules that went into effect a couple of years ago, Mesa would likely be looking at $50 million (see Puig, Tomas, Olivera etc).  The $2.5 million in international bonus money the Orioles received in the Gausman trade was a big piece of the trade. Virtually everyone else is already signed and if the Orioles don't spend it, it does not carry over to next year.  Therefore, it is difficult to believe that Mesa is not worth virtually all the Orioles can offer even if they are not impressed.

The Orioles trading away $750k in international bonus money for Jack Zoellner never made any sense.  I refuse to believe that they legitimately consider a player who will be 24 last month and put up mediocre numbers in the GCL any type of prospect at all.

If Mesa turns out to have a decent career, the difference between what the Orioles and Marlins can offer is very small in the scheme of his career earnings.

I absolutely agree that the money is artificially low, that’d really have to think poorly of VVM to not think he was easily worth every penny of the O’s slot money. I was just trying to cover all potential outcomes. 

3 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

I'm in the camp of thinking all 3 are going to Miami.

I really hope I'm wrong.

God, I hope I'm wrong.

I don't see how that happens unless they either 1) accept significantly less money or 2) the Orioles stupidly don't offer a significant amount more (or more in general) than Miami.

Archived