The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Next July?

It shouldn't take long at all for the Marlins to hit their cap, if they haven't already.  Unlike the Orioles they were active when the signing period began.

Well, seems obvious that they don't want to sign here.  O's have the most money, if this was all money driven it'd be over.  

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Next July?

It shouldn't take long at all for the Marlins to hit their cap, if they haven't already.  Unlike the Orioles they were active when the signing period began.

Point is, they are waiting for Miami to cap out. They won't be Orioles.  The agents know what Miami can cap out at. It's not as much as the Orioles.  

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Neither was the Davis contract.

Your comparing 6 million to $170m?  A top pick out of HS will get that as a bonus. How is a $6m for Gaston a franchise crippling contract? And as I said, it's an embarrassment to have the most pool money and not only fail to sign One, but allow a team with less pool money to sign all 3. Fine, offer VMJ and Gaston the rest.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

O's could still add money.

But pretty clearly they won't.

Or they could have just kept the 750k they traded for some GCL 1B. They either had no intention of going all in for Mesa, they misjudged what it would take to get Mesa, or they were told Mesa has zero interest in coming to Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Your comparing 6 million to $170m?  A top pick out of HS will get that as a bonus. How is a $6m for Gaston a franchise crippling contract? And as I said, it's an embarrassment to have the most pool money and not only fail to sign One, but allow a team with less pool money to sign all 3. Fine, offer VMJ and Gaston the rest.

You don't wish for your team to spend recklessly.

Webb was less than 3M he cost the O's a second round pick to dump the contract.

Matuez was less than 3M he cost the O's a second round pick to dump the contract.

I'd rather have two second round picks than Gaston.

Every bad decision adds up.

Maybe they give Gaston 6M, he flames out early and the O's go back to not spending in the international market.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You don't wish for your team to spend recklessly.

Webb was less than 3M he cost the O's a second round pick to dump the contract.

Matuez was less than 3M he cost the O's a second round pick to dump the contract.

I'd rather have two second round picks than Gaston.

Every bad decision adds up.

Maybe they give Gaston 6M, he flames out early and the O's go back to not spending in the international market.

Either way, “not my money” is the dumbest comment you can make when discussing why a team should or shouldn’t sign a player. 

35 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Either way, “not my money” is the dumbest comment you can make when discussing why a team should or shouldn’t sign a player. 

And getting your feelings hurt enough to down vote it is just as bad. Especially when I have no control over the Orioles finances and how they spend their money. But hey, talk big on the internet. It's your MO.

Archived