TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Day 36.  A Nation Waits.

My issue isn't necessarily the waiting, it's the idea that the maroons in the front office should have had some idea heading into September that they weren't planning on bringing DD and Buck back.  

Even if they were 50/50 on whether DD and Buck should return heading into September, it would have been prudent to have drawn up a short list of candidates that they'd want to fill for both positions.  I don't think I'm wrong about this, for two reasons:  One, it's logical...and two, I've been a recruiter for far too long and a well run org would do something similar and any sports franchise has to do one thing, which is to recruit...at all levels, on the field and off.

So we can get uppity about whether they're being too slow or how methodical they need to be, but the title of the thread is exactly true.  At the very least, there's no reason to think that they're hot on the trail of any candidate.  They're not communicating with the fanbase to let them know "Hey, we know we had a terrible year, we know we know we need to get this on track and we're going to make it better."  There's none of that.  NONE.  Nothing to make any of us (the die-hard, rabid fans) or the casual fan think that they're working hard to make it better.  

Very good post. All of this leads me to think that A.) they are more incompetent than we thought; B.) have been rejected by several candidates and are now down to Plan Z and/or C.) all of the above. I've already made my decision....done with this team in 2019.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this, a revised comment.

Once Angelos decided to undergo the process to replace MacPhail he moved at a reasonable pace.  However it is my belief that instead of starting the process when he was initially informed that MacPhail was leaving he waited until the departure officially happened.  I think waiting to start the process unnecessarily complicated things.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I didn't miss anything.  You said, "No one wants to "rush" the signing.  Some of us want them to not act at the glacial pace of their father," referring to how long this should take to hire someone.  When I pointed out how long it took for Peter to make a similar decision, you tried to sidestep what you said before.    

02pink.jpg
Evidence?   

I wasn't aware that you were so connected with the inner workings of the Warehouse.  My bad.

I'm not sidestepping anything.  I do think Peter waited too long to start the process last time and I was referring to the general pace of things and not the GM hunt specifically.  We have all heard the stories of contracts sitting on Peter's desk right?  I'm pretty sure we don't need to be "connected with the inner workings of the Warehouse" to have read about that.

3 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

Very good post. All of this leads me to think that A.) they are more incompetent than we thought; B.) have been rejected by several candidates and are now down to Plan Z and/or C.) all of the above. I've already made my decision....done with this team in 2019.

We know that's not true.  

I admit though, it's getting really hard for me to keep caring.  I think I survived the '98-'12 debacle because I was younger, had more time, etc.  Now I'm getting older, priorities are shifting.  I say that at a convenient time as it's the offseason, nothing has happened and they are coming off the crappiest year in team history, but...they could make a decision tomorrow and I don't think I'd care too much about who it is.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy they made a choice, but I'm not about to start debating whether it's the right hire or the wrong hire.  It's just a general malaise, I guess.  

I don't think I'd ever stop watching, I just think I might be entering a phase where I don't care as much.

I'm lying to myself, btw.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

We know that's not true.  

I admit though, it's getting really hard for me to keep caring.  I think I survived the '98-'12 debacle because I was younger, had more time, etc.  Now I'm getting older, priorities are shifting.  I say that at a convenient time as it's the offseason, nothing has happened and they are coming off the crappiest year in team history, but...they could make a decision tomorrow and I don't think I'd care too much about who it is.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy they made a choice, but I'm not about to start debating whether it's the right hire or the wrong hire.  It's just a general malaise, I guess.  

I don't think I'd ever stop watching, I just think I might be entering a phase where I don't care as much.

I'm lying to myself, btw.  

I think I have much lower expectations, as a fan, than most of us here.

It honestly doesn't bother me that much that they haven't won a title since '83.  I see 30 teams and I expect a lot of them to go significant amounts of time between championships.

I find the off the field stuff simultaneously fascinating and infuriating.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sidestepping anything.  I do think Peter waited too long to start the process last time and I was referring to the general pace of things and not the GM hunt specifically.  We have all heard the stories of contracts sitting on Peter's desk right?  I'm pretty sure we don't need to be "connected with the inner workings of the Warehouse" to have read about that.

Yeah, we've read the reports of how trade deals died on his desk during the Beatagan days while Peter cross-examined the advice of his dual GMs.  That doesn't appear to be the case of how he handled the interview process in 2011.

I hoped that we would come here and reason together. And as a reasonable man, I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to find a peaceful solution to these problems.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, we've read the reports of how trade deals died on his desk during the Beatagan days while Peter cross-examined the advice of his dual GMs.  That doesn't appear to be the case of how he handled the interview process in 2011.

I hoped that we would come here and reason together. And as a reasonable man, I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to find a peaceful solution to these problems.

Have we entered the meme portion of this discussion?

If so I'm out.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have we entered the meme portion of this discussion?

If so I'm out.

Works for me.  The process you insist took too long to start had its first interview on 10/17, with the groundwork for that meeting starting days before that.   The 2011 season ended 9/28.   What a delay!!  Such unnecessary complications! ?

The issue with not naming a team President, GM, etc is that the O's have Brian Graham making the baseball decisions.  If they wanted Brian Graham to be the team President or GM, they would have named him to the position already.  It is quite possible that decisions Graham is making are not decisions the eventual President or GM would have made.  Also, while they are waiting to hire a President and GM, the good baseball people are gaining employment with other organizations.  The eventual President and GM may have to hire their 2nd, 3rd, etc choices for critical positions in the front office and minor leagues. 

The new boss is the same as the old boss.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I have much lower expectations, as a fan, than most of us here.

It honestly doesn't bother me that much that they haven't won a title since '83.  I see 30 teams and I expect a lot of them to go significant amounts of time between championships.

I find the off the field stuff simultaneously fascinating and infuriating.

Well considering you're just cooler than everyone else, yeah.  You would have lower expectations.

It bothers the living $%*% out of me.  I don't want to be one of those jerkoff Cubs or Red Sox fans that's crying that they haven't seen a WS winner for their entire lives.  While I agree with your sentiment about having 30 teams and expecting a lot of them to go significant amounts of time without a title, we're not the San Diego Padres.  I mean, WE ARE the San Diego Padres in terms of mismanagement but we shouldn't be.  

I don't buy the small market crap.  This franchise has shown to have resources and while they can't spend like the Sox and Yankees, they also don't have their hat in their hand at all times, either.  They have shown that they can be a top 10 payroll team.  They have shown that they can spend a big chunk of money for a player (albeit the wrong one).  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well considering you're just cooler than everyone else, yeah.  You would have lower expectations.

It bothers the living $%*% out of me.  I don't want to be one of those jerkoff Cubs or Red Sox fans that's crying that they haven't seen a WS winner for their entire lives.  While I agree with your sentiment about having 30 teams and expecting a lot of them to go significant amounts of time without a title, we're not the San Diego Padres.  I mean, WE ARE the San Diego Padres in terms of mismanagement but we shouldn't be.  

I don't buy the small market crap.  This franchise has shown to have resources and while they can't spend like the Sox and Yankees, they also don't have their hat in their hand at all times, either.  They have shown that they can be a top 10 payroll team.  They have shown that they can spend a big chunk of money for a player (albeit the wrong one).  

Psst. We are small market. But I want a winner too. 

28 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I didn't miss anything.  You said, "No one wants to "rush" the signing.  Some of us want them to not act at the glacial pace of their father," referring to how long this should take to hire someone.  When I pointed out how long it took for Peter to make a similar decision, you tried to sidestep what you said before.    

02pink.jpg
Evidence?   

I wasn't aware that you were so connected with the inner workings of the Warehouse.  My bad.

Is your point that the sons are slower than their father?

Archived