TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I think I'c rather hear nothing than a bunch of mindless non-updates that ultimately serve no purpose except to insult my intellegence.  At least with the silence I can continue to delude myself that the brothers are being super descriminating in hiring the best possible candidate to lead the Orioles to the promised land.

Just now, 24fps said:

Honestly I think I'c rather hear nothing than a bunch of mindless non-updates that ultimately serve no purpose except to insult my intellegence.  At least with the silence I can continue to delude myself that the brothers are being super descriminating in hiring the best possible candidate to lead the Orioles to the promised land.

That's the key to your statement here, isn't it? :D

To me the Orioles turnaround was always going to be tied to moving our everyday players and subsequently the ROI. Once the Orioles gave Gausman to the Braves to eat O'Day's contract I knew that we were in trouble. The Orioles goal was getting cheaper as quickly as possible and I suppose they accomplished that on the surface. They didn't restock a below average farm system and they didn't fix what was broken in the international market. If they were always going to go down this route then why not deal players away at the deadline prior to this year's deadline?

I think the Orioles are one of the biggest jokes in sports, not just baseball. I had the O's in the same class as the Brown's, but I feel that the O's just passed the Brown's in futility. In a town full of love for their sports teams the O's are going to go on another dormant stretch of below average baseball. There is no Machado level talent to save our future and the only big money they gave to a player is now the disaster that is Chris Davis' deal. The way the Orioles ownership has handled two decades of mostly poor baseball hasn't ruined the game for me yet. But I am not sure that I have another 4-7+ year run of poor team performances in me.

As much as we are all craving some news and some hirings, I’m not necessarily going to criticize the Angelos family for not being communicative right now.  The team made a statement when the season ended and there’s not much to say beyond that until someone has been hired.   I just hope they’re busy behind the curtain and not just sitting around waiting for the World Series to end.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As much as we are all craving some news and some hirings, I’m not necessarily going to criticize the Angelos family for not being communicative right now.  The team made a statement when the season ended and there’s not much to say beyond that until someone has been hired.   I just hope they’re busy behind the curtain and not just sitting around waiting for the World Series to end.   

Pretty much agree. The Orioles under Duquette were well known for seemingly intentional leaks. He'd say one thing, they'd do another. Or he'd say one thing, Angelos would do another, perhaps.

Roch has been pretty straightforward in saying they are intentionally giving the press nothing, and conducting a lot of business outside of Baltimore. If true, we can debate on whether or not that's good or bad, but it's seems to be how they're operating at the moment. MLB itself has attempted to get something out of the brothers due to the lack of information. They just don't talk to the press, period. 

If there was true incompetence at play, the press would know and there'd be rumors aplenty. It's hard to say. I find it somewhat intriguing how they're going about it. We'll see if they truly have no idea what's going on, or if it's a new era of tight-lipped competence. Obviously, track record would have you lean one way. 

Roch said a little while ago that they have interviewed people and the general feeling was they knew who that person would be and they are surprised no announcement has been made. Said maybe they are waiting until after the World Series. I'm assuming that guy would be Ben Cherington. 

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree. I don't understand why everyone here feels entitled to an update from the Front Office. The season ended less than a month ago. They released a statement at the end of the season. Let's give them a minute. Yeeesh.

What in the brothers background makes anyone think that they can hire (or even recognize from afar) quality baseball management.

We will get another geriatric (Coletti) type that like Duquette and Showater will never hold another similar postion in MLB.

We get the guys one step into retirement who wouldn't understand analytics if buried in a pile of calculus textbooks.

My only hope is that the lack of communication/decisions is because they are busy shopping the team and don't want to make any commitments

Get ready for the Brady as President announcement 

23 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

What in the brothers background makes anyone think that they can hire (or even recognize from afar) quality baseball management.

We will get another geriatric (Coletti) type that like Duquette and Showater will never hold another similar postion in MLB.

We get the guys one step into retirement who wouldn't understand analytics if buried in a pile of calculus textbooks.

My only hope is that the lack of communication/decisions is because they are busy shopping the team and don't want to make any commitments

Get ready for the Brady as President announcement 

You sound really optimistic. 

Archived