Ryan Mountcastle - 3B - 2018 #3 Prospect

Tony-OH

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all the people included in the top 10, but I flip flop Hays and Mountcastle's ranking.  Mountcastle ONLY has hit tools and who knows how they play because of approach and plate discipline.

I think he's the second coming of Mark Trumbo, which doesn't rate well in this new market.  I'm not high on him, but he should definitely be top 10.

39 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I agree with all the people included in the top 10, but I flip flop Hays and Mountcastle's ranking.  Mountcastle ONLY has hit tools and who knows how they play because of approach and plate discipline.

I think he's the second coming of Mark Trumbo, which doesn't rate well in this new market.  I'm not high on him, but he should definitely be top 10.

At least Trumbo has a good arm.

51 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

No.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well that was eloquent.

Third. Tony does not like him in the field, nor does anyone that Tony speaks with like him there. I get it. My sense is that there are many other prospects behind him in the field that we never talk this way about. I bet he finds a position. He's an athlete.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, yeah.

But as a fan of a certain team that's employed Mark Trumbo, I don't particularly care to have any more Mark Trumbo types on this team.

You can say that all you want. But Mallex Smith guys get tossed around as marginal all their careers too. 

Just now, panick said:

Do you like him in the field?

He is better than when I first saw him. He has improved. He is no Mark Chapman. I'll wait to see him in other positions before I bail. If he indeed fails at third as Tony assures me he will. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Third. Tony does not like him in the field, nor does anyone that Tony speaks with like him there. I get it. My sense is that there are many other prospects behind him in the field that we never talk this way about. I bet he finds a position. He's an athlete.

I get the feeling that we're only so hung up on where he is as a fielder and where he'll have to play because the bat is that good and the fielding is that bad and that's why we don't talk about other prospects in this manner.

There are a lot of "athletes" who are poor fielders.  Doesn't mean he'll figure it out.  Maybe he does...but as for now it's going to be hard to find a spot for him on a team that's got a pathetic defense.  Don't need anymore pathetic defenders.  My bet is that they try to see if they can work on his defense and ultimately stick him at DH.  

3 minutes ago, weams said:

You can say that all you want. But Mallex Smith guys get tossed around as marginal all their careers too. 

You mean 40 stolen bases, 10 league leading triples .367 obp Mallex Smith?  Maybe he'll be marginal, maybe he won't be.  We'll see how he does in Seattle.  But I'd be stoked if it were the Orioles that traded for that guy.

Archived