Keegan Akin - LHP - 2018 #11 Prospect

Tony-OH

On September 11, you posted in the minor league section on Akin:

"Akin had a good year and is definitely a top five prospect in the organization. I'd like to see him get in a little better condition this offseason, but as David Wells proved, you don't always need the perfect body to be an effective pitcher.

He should get an opportunity to compete next spring but most likely will get ticketed to Norfolk for awhile, but he could be in the rotation by next summer."

Anything in particular change your mind?

4 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

On September 11, you posted in the minor league section on Akin:

"Akin had a good year and is definitely a top five prospect in the organization. I'd like to see him get in a little better condition this offseason, but as David Wells proved, you don't always need the perfect body to be an effective pitcher.

He should get an opportunity to compete next spring but most likely will get ticketed to Norfolk for awhile, but he could be in the rotation by next summer."

Anything in particular change your mind?

Mainly talking with scouts and player development people brought him back down a bit. I think there is a chance he can stay a starter, but his stuff, command, and mentality might be better suited for the pen. I could see him become a real weapon in the pen who would dominate lefties and hold his own against right-handed hitters. 

I could see him become an Arthur Rhodes type of reliever who comes in and throws two or three innings of a game or even possibly a closer at some point though I'd like to see how he would hold up to the pressure first.

I think he's a major leaguer no doubt, but I usually put guys who I think have a better chance sticking as a starter ahead of relievers.

• 2 months later...

Archived