2014 Astros article tells what is going to happen with the O's and why

wildcard

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, wildcard said:

Nothing is guaranteed.  But I think Elias has to pick a date in the future when he thinks he can acquire enough players to make a playoff run.   The Astros plan from he time Luhnow and Elias were hired was to ignore all else and focus on winning a World Series,  no matter what that did to the teams in the first several years.     This all in the 2014  article that has been posted in this thread.

I don't think he'll try and mimic what he and Luhnow did with the Astros. I think the whole point of being a progressive FO leader in the extremely competitive environment that is MLB is to do things just a little bit better than your competitors. You can't do that and repeat the past at the same time. 

59 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't think he'll try and mimic what he and Luhnow did with the Astros. I think the whole point of being a progressive FO leader in the extremely competitive environment that is MLB is to do things just a little bit better than your competitors. You can't do that and repeat the past at the same time. 

How does he do better than two division titles and a World Series Championship with a team that still on the up swing?

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How does he do better than two division titles and a World Series Championship with a team that still on the up swing?

I'm talking about process, not results. Scout a little better, develop players a little bit better, deploy in-game strategy a little bit better. 

Do you want Elias to just try and repeat the blueprint of the Astros rebuild?

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm talking about process, not results. Scout a little better, develop players a little bit better, deploy in-game strategy a little bit better. 

Do you want Elias to just try and repeat the blueprint of the Astros rebuild?

If he does, I'm in.

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That was the whole point of the article. Luhnow (and Elias) did things better than everyone else or most everyone. Now teams will all copy that. Now Elias has to figure out how to do it even better than that. Rich Dauer from Roch Thursday: “These young guys, I’ll tell you, they’re non-stop and they can’t let the other person ever get ahead. So, it’s like they’re keeping up with everybody,” Dauer said.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

That was the whole point of the article. Luhnow (and Elias) did things better than everyone else or most everyone. Now teams will all copy that. Now Elias has to figure out how to do it even better than that. Rich Dauer from Roch Thursday: “These young guys, I’ll tell you, they’re non-stop and they can’t let the other person ever get ahead. So, it’s like they’re keeping up with everybody,” Dauer said.

Here is my take on that.

If you vary from the plan how do you know if you made an improvement  or a mistake until its too late?   What we know is that most if not all team builds have a cycle.  By the time the O's reach their peak the Astros and  maybe the Red Sox and Yanks will be on the down slope.

I'll take what the Astros have built, if the O's can reach that level,  and smile all the way.

Archived