Beane 2, MacPhail 0

BaltimoreGhost

Forgive me if this thread is too much like another. I just wanted to vent my frustration and see if anyone else is knee-jerking at this point.

With the trade of a pitcher who has managed a record of 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA, (in one of baseballs best pitcher's parks mind you), for three prospects, Billy Beane has effectively moved two of his players already from a team clearly in mathematical contention at 7 games over .500.

Somehow the Orioles, who are supposedly openly rebuilding, and are cellar dwelling in the A.L., haven't so much as moved a single player. Don't you think the Phillies would have rather have added a tad more for a Daniel Cabrera or possibly even a tad less for Brian Burress. Ok, Ok, we have B-Rob...now, but with our void of solid position guys up the middle you'd think we would hoard what we could get and move from there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thoroughly impressed with our dividends from the winter trades, however I seem to be witnessing what we all were so frustrated with in the winter which is the slow bureaucratic-like maneuvering of this front office.

Personally I'd like to see a fire sale with nobody over the age of 28 safe from being dealt, however this is looking very unlikely as every day passes with no real news.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As much I wouldn't mind seeing a few trades, I've heard and read nothing about other teams actively targeting our players. Makes it kind of hard to complete a transaction if nobody's knocking on your door.

Maybe we knock on their doors....

As much I wouldn't mind seeing a few trades, I've heard and read nothing about other teams actively targeting our players. Makes it kind of hard to complete a transaction if nobody's knocking on your door.

Yea, but were the Phillies really the ones targeting Blanton. I'd find that hard to believe with the year he's having. Harden is another story, but Blanton!?! man...Is Gillick still the GM in Philly? Doesn't seem like him.

Forgive me if this thread is too much like another. I just wanted to vent my frustration and see if anyone else is knee-jerking at this point.

With the trade of a pitcher who has managed a record of 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA, (in one of baseballs best pitcher's parks mind you), for three prospects, Billy Beane has effectively moved two of his players already from a team clearly in mathematical contention at 7 games over .500.

Somehow the Orioles, who are supposedly openly rebuilding, and are cellar dwelling in the A.L., haven't so much as moved a single player. Don't you think the Phillies would have rather have added a tad more for a Daniel Cabrera or possibly even a tad less for Brian Burress. Ok, Ok, we have B-Rob...now, but with our void of solid position guys up the middle you'd think we would hoard what we could get and move from there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thoroughly impressed with our dividends from the winter trades, however I seem to be witnessing what we all were so frustrated with in the winter which is the slow bureaucratic-like maneuvering of this front office.

Personally I'd like to see a fire sale with nobody over the age of 28 safe from being dealt, however this is looking very unlikely as every day passes with no real news.

You'll get bashed for this post, but you are right. Beane pulls this stuff off every single year and the O's sit back and are never able to pull the trigger. Unbelievable.

Are the O's ever going to catch a break?

You'll get bashed for this post, but you are right. Beane pulls this stuff off every single year and the O's sit back and are never able to pull the trigger. Unbelievable.

Are the O's ever going to catch a break?

They probably will......sometime.

My gut tells me they figure out a way to win 86 games then screw it up all over again.

I'm an eternal cynic until proved differently

From a public relations standpoint they're in the ALCS from what was going on a few years ago.

Just looked at Blanton's game log....3 starts in June versus NL teams.

JUN 18 Ari - 8 runs in 3 IP

JUN 24 Phi - 1 run in 7 IP

JUN 29 SF - 7 runs in 4 IP

Not exactly promising for the Phils considering he won't be pitching against them more often. But I'm guessing this is what made the Phils like him.

Even more disturbing to the Phils...Seattle's horrific offense just torched him for 6 runs in his last start after a solid victory over the first place White Sox...Very inconsistent this season.

So, I take it that you guys are knowledgeable about the three players Beane got for Blanton and you feel they represent a good amount of talent, right? Can you go through them real fast for me? I'm still studying the trade so that I don't draw conclusions too quickly. Thanks

I'm pretty familiar with them and it's an ideal package for BAL.

- Plus-offensive 2b poised to take over around 2010

- Potential mid-rotation arm with solid stuff and good pitchability

- low-minors OF with plus-raw power and above-average defensive skills (great to pair with the toolsy haul from this year's draft)

It seems like one thing Beane does well (and I'm not saying Mr. MacPhail does not) is get teams talking. One key to make deals is building working relationships with other FOs and opening and maintaining dialogue. Seems like Beane is a good wheeler-and-dealer, and that he can get the ball rolling.

So, I take it that you guys are knowledgeable about the three players Beane got for Blanton and you feel they represent a good amount of talent, right? Can you go through them real fast for me? I'm still studying the trade so that I don't draw conclusions too quickly. Thanks

I'd trade Blanton straight up just for Cardenas....a 20-year old 2b with decent size who has a .818 OPS in A-ball. 16 steals in 67 games as well. Can't be any worse than a dime a dozen 5 ERA righty.

I don't agree with trading anyone because they over the age of 28. Meant to clarify that.

Hope that keeps me off the list...

I just said they shouldn't be safe. Not that they needed to be traded based on age, but the fact of the matter is that we aren't going to be competing with the Rays and Sox for a few years, no real need to hold on to anyone who will not be a part of that.

Beane always does nice deals, but to me, it seems he is always in full rebuild mode. At some point, he is going to have to win something to ensure his legacy and show he is deserving of all the praise that is tossed his way. He builds competitive teams and as soon as they start to win, he trades players away for prospects and repeats the cycle. To me, fielding a competitive team year in and year out whether with prospects, or high priced free agents is still grinding your wheels if you aren't competing to win it all.

Its great he puts a competitive product on the field for his fans, but the A's are not close to being a world series contender.

Archived