Beane 2, MacPhail 0

BaltimoreGhost

And what 2 pitchers were we suppose to trade to get the deals the A's received??? When Beane wins something call me!

If you read the original post, I mentioned that the Phillies might have liked Daniel Cabrera for a tad more or Brian Burress for a tad less than they gave up for Blanton. In fact I think Burress would be a good fit under the tutiledge of Jamie Moyer.

But by no means was I saying we had to trade 2 pitchers, I just meant that Beane has dealt two guys, and we have dealt 0. You'd think in our situation, we'd be more inclined to make moves, but our front office seems (only by their actions) to be content with our current roster.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It also can't be denied that they're in a division with a lot of opportunity. Their pitching has also kept them in it. They've never had an offense that had me thinking they just might win it all. And thus, they haven't. Sad part is now the teams have more money due to revenue sharing, but they're sitting on their wallets.

Beane doesn't choose not to spend. And he deserves more credit for winning regardless.

Not have an offense for winning? Were you paying attention when they had guys like Tejada, Giambi, Chavez (when he was good), Kotsay, Damon, Dye, etc around?

Beane doesn't choose not to spend. And he deserves more credit for winning regardless.

Not have an offense for winning? Were you paying attention when they had guys like Tejada, Giambi, Chavez (when he was good), Kotsay, Damon, Dye, etc around?

You saw the results? Where did that offense rank? I don't ever recall them being bombers collectively.

BTW, Beane is a minority owner of the A's. It's also his decision.

I think this is a knew jerk post. Blanton is considered a better commodity than Cabrera (Don't know why) though I would imagine what AM would require for Cabrera would be more than the A's got for Blanton. Trading an above average innings eater (Our #2 pitcher)for a single top prospect is not something I would be ready to do right now. The Orioles could sign good prospects from around the globe if they would be willing to spend the cash. We seem to over evaluate prospects and under evaluate proven starters (Which Cabrera is).

Yes, I knee-jerked abit with Sherrill too, hopefully his All-Star performance rekindled his value. Its just so frustrating to see moves like this while our front office is seemingly sleeping. I have such a sense of urgency to win again that I don't know if I have the patience for this regime, haha.

And what 2 pitchers were we suppose to trade to get the deals the A's received??? When Beane wins something call me!

I'll ask you the same thing I did in the other thread before you wussed-out and ignored it.

So you would take fewer chances at a World Championship versus more chances at one?

Beane has given his team as many chances at a championship as any other team not named the New York Yankees. In less time Andy MacPhail ran the Cubs, he has three more playoff appearances (5 to 2), with a fraction of the available payroll.

When Andy MacPhail wins something after I graduated from third grade, call me.

(I love having Andy MacPhail, but if you are judging Beane on that, then MacPhail, well, fails even worse.)

Yes, I knee-jerked abit with Sherrill too, hopefully his All-Star performance rekindled his value. Its just so frustrating to see moves like this while our front office is seemingly sleeping. I have such a sense of urgency to win again that I don't know if I have the patience for this regime, haha.

Well we've got two full weeks, and AM does a lot of deals in August too. You can't ignore AM's track record and become anxious for no good reason. If AM historically didn't deadline trade/deal in August, I could see where your coming from.

But the bottom line is, I trust AM. I truly believe he has a plan and will carry it out.

It also can't be denied that they're in a division with a lot of opportunity. Their pitching has also kept them in it. They've never had an offense that had me thinking they just might win it all. And thus, they haven't. Sad part is now the teams have more money due to revenue sharing, but they're sitting on their wallets.

That has more to do with ownership than Beane. Regardless, seems we are all getting off topic. Anyone that doesn't think Beane is one of the top GMs in the game is someone I consider crazy. That said, I still have faith in MacPhail. Would just be nice if we had some insight into any trade talk that may be ongoing. The lack of talk seems to be whats driving people on here crazy.

I already debunked that, too.

Check the other thread: they have had a better record overall against the AL East (you know, the one with the big bad Yankees and Red Sox) then their own division.

I'll ask you the same thing I did in the other thread before you wussed-out and ignored it.

So you would take fewer chances at a World Championship versus more chances at one?

Beane has given his team as many chances at a championship as any other team not named the New York Yankees. In less time Andy MacPhail ran the Cubs, he has three more playoff appearances (5 to 2), with a fraction of the available payroll.

When Andy MacPhail wins something after I graduated from third grade, call me.

(I love having Andy MacPhail, but if you are judging Beane on that, then MacPhail, well, fails even worse.)

Yes, ESPN is doing a "contender town" contest right now. Good point.

Oh wait, it's "Title Town". That's right. That's all people care about, thanks for reminding me. How silly of me.

Lol, you mentioned Kotsay and offense in the same sentence...I certainly liked the A's offense in the early 2000's though. I mean in 2001 Giambi, Tejada, and Chavez all blasted 30+ and then they still had Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye in that lineup...also one Ramon Hernandez...lol

That has more to do with ownership than Beane. Regardless, seems we are all getting off topic. Anyone that doesn't think Beane is one of the top GMs in the game is someone I consider crazy. That said, I still have faith in MacPhail. Would just be nice if we had some insight into any trade talk that may be ongoing. The lack of talk seems to be whats driving people on here crazy.

I've already stated that he's one of the best. I also think that he's consistently consciously failed to do what it takes. It's ashame.

I already debunked that, too.

Check the other thread: they have had a better record overall against the AL East (you know, the one with the big bad Yankees and Red Sox) then their own division.

Which doesn't mean to me what it means to you. I have no doubts whatsoever that if the A's played in the East and faced each team 18/19 x's per year, this would not be the case.

Which doesn't mean to me what it means to you. I have no doubts whatsoever that if the A's played in the East and faced each team 18/19 x's per year, this would not be the case.

Well gee, as long as you don't have any doubts, I guess we don't need real evidence.

Dorothy and the Tin Man called. They want their scarecrow back.

I bet they do. I mean you're right, I have nothing to base my stance on. MacPhail has won two world series championships. Beane 0.

Don't worry though, if Beane had a baseball card, they would add the stat "Came very close to, but never finished the deal". And that would make it all better.

All i'm saying is the A's should be ashamed to be as close as they've been the past decade and not take a chance and try to put them over the top. It really isn't right.

Archived